Chapter: 10

TO.GET.HER

Before DK walked Hyunae home they went to go eat and play around at the park. It was getting dark. The sky turned dark blue with stars that peeked out. Clouds moved east with little wind.

 

“I got something for you.” DK stopped and faced her.

 

Hyunae looked at him with big eyes wondering what he was doing and what he had for her. “Don’t make me feel special now.”

 

“Give me your hand.” He let out his hand with a gummy smile.

 

She let out her hand and DK put a seventeen carat bracelet with an infinity sign on her hand.

 

“This bracelet marks our friendship that will go on forever like an infinity sign.” DK rubbed her nose.

 

Hyunae pulled her hand towards her and examined it. “You didn’t have to, but thanks. It’s so-”

 

“Beautiful.” DK cut her off before she can say another word.

 

Hyunae hugged DK and he put his arms around her waist.

 

A black car drove by and the window rowed down. “Hyunae?”

 

Hyunae and DK quickly pulled away from each other and looked at the car. Hyunae’s eyes got bigger.

 

“It’s dark what are you doing out here? Especially with a guy late at this time where anyone can just cause any harm to you.” A deep manly voice came out of the car.

 

“You don’t belong here!” Hyunae raised her voice at the man.

 

“Hyunae, what’s going on? Who is this guy?” DK asked confusingly.

 

The guy got out of the car and walked madly to them. DK stood in front of Hyunae protecting her from this creep.

 

“Get lost kid.” The creep looked into his eyes.

 

“I’m not moving until you back off jerk.” DK pushed him.

 

The creep punched DK and grabbed Hyunae. She forced her hand out of his grip and helped DK up.

 

“I’m not going with you. You are nothing to me. You are no longer apart of my life nor Dad’s life.” Hyunae eyes began to fill with tears.

 

“Hyunae, I came back for a change-” The creep spoke.

 

“Back for a change huh? You couldn’t even change yourself Yunho. Mom died all because of you. Your had to go smoke pot and weed and everyday come home high and drunk. After Mom died you couldn’t face the truth, nor could you even face reality. You left me and Dad suffering. You wouldn't even help out. It was just Dad working his off and paying bills while you were too busy doing your own piece of crap. Then later you disappeared without us knowing, and I just never gave a crap about you ever again. I never even bother to call the cops nor did I even bother to look for you. You put us through so much misery and today you decided to show up out of no where trying to make a change.” Hyunae blasted him out.

 

“Hyunae it’s not what you think.” Yunho grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her.

 

“Enough you fricken weirdo.” DK punch Yunho and ran off with Hyunae.

 

They ran turning corners and crossing streets. They got to the doorsteps breathing hard. Hyunae punches the wooden pole near the doorsteps and busted into tears. Her knuckles bled, and her skin ripped. DK pulled her to his chest and laid his right hand on her head. She cried on his chest, not letting go. Hyunae started breathing so hard that she felt numb. She felt like she just ran the mile without stopping at all. She couldn't move anything, her body froze.

 

DK pulled her away from his chest and spoke with a worried tone. “Hyunae, are you okay?”

 

“I-I-I- can’t bre-breath.” Hyunae’s words broke apart as she couldn’t breath and move.

 

Hyunae fainted and fell to the ground.

 

“Hyunae! Can you hear me?! Stay with me Hyunae!” DK yelled as he shook her body trying to awake her.

 

Hyunae’s father opened the door and saw his daughter on the ground.

 

He ran to her. “Hyunae? Hurry call the 911.”

 

DK took out his phone and dialed 911. “My friend just collapsed we need an ambulance right now.”

 

DK looked at her father. “The ambulance is coming shortly.” DK shed tears, scared that Hyunae would never wake up again.

 

The ambulance arrived and pulled out the bed from the back of it. Rolled it to the front porch. The paramedics told DK and Hyuna's father to move aside as they lifted Hyunae onto the bed. They strolled her into the back of the ambulance. DK and her father followed them into the ambulance.

 

As they arrived at the hospital the paramedics pulled Hyunae out from the back and into the emergency hallway.

 

“We have an unconscious patient.” The paramedics announced to the doctors that were coming their way.

 

They strolled her into the emergency room. DK and her father waited outside.

 

“So you’re DK? Am I right?” Her father questions him.

 

“Yes sir, I am DK.” He responded back.

 

“What exactly happened?”

 

DK told her father about how Yunho, Hyunae’s brother, came back for a change and how it got a little messy punching him. He mentioned everything even when he gave Hyunae the bracelet.

 

“How did you know my name was DK?” He wondered.

 

“Hyunae talks about you all the time. How she feels safe around you and how you are always there for her. Lending a shoulder to her when she needs it. Good boyfriend material.” Her father patted his back.

 

“We’re not dating, sir.” DK blurted out.

 

“What? I thought you guys were dating. She talks about you all the time and she makes it sound like you guys are dating.”

 

“She does?”

 

“Yes son, you mean a lot to my daughter. Keep her happy boy.” Her dad put his hand on DK’s shoulder. “Hyunae’s mother didn’t die because of Yunho.”

 

“What?” DK rose one eyebrow up.

 

“This conversation is only between us and no one can’t know about it.”

 

“So Yunho knows?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Hyunae’s father told him about what happened in their family and that DK couldn't let anybody know about this. Her father hid this from her for a long time.

 

The doctor came out. “Are you Hyunae’s family?”

 

“Yes.” Her father spoke.

 

“Hyunae has Congestive heart failure”

 

“Is it serious?”

 

“Yes it is serious, but in her condition it’s not a problem for now. If she takes medication daily it will prevent her to have bad symptoms.”

 

“Okay. When will she be able to go home?”

 

“She’ll be able to go home tomorrow night after we finish some paper work. You can see her now, but she is still resting.” The doctor led them to her emergency room.

 

The doctor opened the door and closed it as he left. DK was upset seeing Hyunae in this condition. Her father patted her head; feeling guilt and sadness.

 

“DK can you stay here overnight for me? I got work that I haven’t finished. I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning and drop you off at school.” Her father looked at DK.

 

“Yes.” Dk spoke.

 

“Thanks kiddo.” Her father walked out the room.

 

DK pulled a chair from the side to sit in.

 

He held onto her hand and shed a tear. “I hate seeing you in this condition. I like you a lot Hyunae. Get well soon.”

 

DK cried onto her hands as she smiled just listening to him speak and went back to sleep. Dk fell asleep on the bed with his head down and his hand still holding Hyunae’s.

 

***

 

She woke up to see that he was sleeping and rubbed his nose.. She watched him sleep for over half an hour.

 

DK woke up still holding her hands. “How long were you awake Hyunae?”

 

“About half an hour. It’s six thirty aren’t you suppose to be on your way to school?” Hyunae wondered.

 

“Your dad said he’ll drop me off at school in a bit.”

 

Hyunae nodded her head with a sad face.

 

DK got worried. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I have Congestive heart failure, don’t I?” Hyunae stared right at the wall.

 

“Did you want anything to eat? I’ll ask the-” DK tried changing the subject.

 

“DK!” Hyunae looked at him with eyes full of tears. “Do I have Congestive heart failure?”

 

“Yes. You do, but-”

 

“But what? There’s no buts DK. My life is going to be shorter than everyone that I care about.” Hyunae cried.

 

DK stood up and hugged her. She cried onto his shoulder.

 

“Your dad will be here any minute. It’s best if you don’t cry.” DK pulled her away from his chest and wiped her tears.

 

Hyunae’s father came in. “Morning kids.”

 

“Goodmorning.” DK and Hyunae said at the sametime.

 

“DK I’ll drop you off right now. Hyunae I’ll see you in a bit.” Her father patted her head.

 

DK gave her a kiss on her forehead and headed out the door.

 

***

 

The bell rang and the teacher was running late, so they didn’t have teacher to start the class. Kai sat with an empty seat. He wondered where Hyunae would be.

 

“Why didn’t she come to school.” Kai thought to himself.

 

He thought that maybe what he said to her and pushed her down onto the ground maybe caused her trouble.

 

Kai walked to Lay and sat down next to him. “Did Sora tell you where Hyunae went?”

 

“Hyunae didn’t come to school?” Lay looked around to see if Hyunae was in class. “She didn’t mention anything about Hyunae.”

 

Kai got up and walked toward his seat. DK came into the classroom. He walked and bumped into Kai’s shoulder.

 

“Watch it.” Kai stared at the ground then looked at DK.

 

“Douchebag.” DK said in an annoyed tone.

 

“What?”

 

“You heard me. Or I can repeat it again douchebag.” DK pushed Kai.

 

Kai lost his temper and punched DK. He fell onto the floor and got up. Kai grabbed DK by his collar and as soon as he rose his right fist to punch DK, DK twisted Kai’s left arm and punched him. He kneed Kai on the stomach. Kai fell and grunted.

 

“This is for Hyunae. You put her through so much. Just so you know Hyunae is in the hospital.” DK wiped his blood from the corner of his left lip.

 

S.Coups, Hoshi, Vernon, Dino, Wonwoo, Seungkwan, The8, and Mingyu stood behind DK. Behind Kai stood Chanyeol, Sehun, Baekhyun, Luhan, Kris, Lay, Tao, and Chen.

 

***

 

At the side of the school there's a garden that no one goes to. Only gardener’s come and water the plant’s after school. Other than that no one doesn’t go there besides two best friends.

 

D.O waited for his best friend to come to the garden. The door opened and D.O looked to see who it was.

 

“Sorry. I had to give something to my teacher.” Woozi closed the door.

 

“How are we suppose to tell our friends that we are best friends.” D.O sat down on the bench.

 

“Now that our squad hates each other. I don’t know how to mention it to them.”

 

“Right. What if our squads separates us to the point where we have to cut each other off.”

 

“We’ll work something out.” Woozi put his hand on D.O’s shoulder and smiled.

 

They faced a long window next to the hallway on the outside of the garden and talked. Suddenly The8 and Dino walked by the window out of no where.

 

“Quick hide!” Woozi whispered.

 

Woozi took D.O by the wrist and pulled him to hide behind a bunch of tall cardboards that were a bit taller than them.

 

“Who are we hiding from?” D.O peeked.

 

Woozi pulled D.O from peeking. “ Stop peeking. The8 and Dino are walking next to the window.”

 

The8 and Dino stopped at the window.

 

“Did you see what I saw?” The8 pointed at the moving cardboard boxes.

 

“I’m sure I saw two boys with bowl cuts hiding.” Dino looked at The8 with a confused face.

 

“One with pink hair right?”

 

“I think so. Let’s go check if it’s Woozi.”

 

The8 and Dino opened the door quietly and walked like a mouse towards the cardboards that are still moving. They moved the cardboards and there stood D.O closing his eyes and Woozi with one eye opened blocking his face with his hands from them.

 

“Hi guys.” D.O waved squinting his eyes.


“D.O and Woozi?” The8 and Dino questioned.