Chapter 15

Army of Two
I finally decided to call him. I called him, called him, called him. No answer at all. I'm sitting on his driveway and I call him again. I called him so many times, nothing.
 
I feel tears forming in my eyes. And in a split second, a bucket full of tears stream down my cheek. I stay sitting down on his driveway and feel numb.
 
Then, my phone's notification ringtone goes off. I look at it and wipe my tears. It was from TaeHyung.
 
TaeHyung: "Where are you?"
 
My heart started beating fast and my breathing sped up.
 
Me: "Your driveway."
 
He didn't answer back and it got me worried. I wanted to call him but I felt like he still wouldn't answer. I wanted to text more but I felt that I'd annoy him.
 
About 15 minutes later, I stood up from his old driveway. I just finished crying and I was going to walk back home. But then someone grabs my wrist and drags me towards the house, opening the unlocked door and pulling me in.
 
My back gets slammed against the wall. There's a hand above my shoulders against the wall, and another hand is still holding onto my wrist, pressing it against the wall. It's TaeHyung.
 
"T-TaeHyu-"
 
He kisses me. Hard. Both of his hands are cupping my cheeks. His lip locks tight on mine and I can't pull away, even though I don't want to. So I kiss back, throwing my arms around his neck. He bites down on my lip, causing me to moan, and then he pulls away. He looks down at me, breathing as hard as I am.
 
"Where were you?" He says, his voice deep and a bit frightening.
 
"Home." I say. "How about you? Where are you now? Why didn't you tell me?"
 
"You weren't going to answer me." He says.
 
"But I would've still read it."
 
He pushes off of me and the wall and walks out the house. I follow him.
 
"I had to escape from foster care to come and see you." He says, sitting on his driveway, patting the ground next to him. I sit down.
 
"F-foster care?" I ask. He nods and looks down at his feet.
 
"After I blurted it out at school, someone told a counselor. The counselor told the police. They got involved and took my sister and I away. I found out just yesterday that my mother moved out of here. I have no idea where she went." He says. "Since I'm 18, I'm not suppose to be in there. I'm old enough to be on my own but I have no money and no family near by to live with, so I'm staying in there until I can live on my own."
 
He scoffs.
 
"But the people in there . My sister and I are separated, in the same system but we barely talk to each other. She's about to go with foster parents soon, someone wants to take care of her. I'm glad but, I want information about them. She is my little sister and I want to know who's she going with and who the par-"
 
I leaned closer and kiss him. I then pull away seeing that he calmed down. He sighs and then shakes his head.
 
"I'm sorry I just ignored you. But TaeHyung, you didn't have to say that in front of the whole school. You didn't have to do that. And why have you not been going to school?" I shout at him.
 
He looks forward and doesn't answer me. I don't blame him for not answering, I blocked him from my life for about a week.
 
"I deserved it." He says. "I made your life more of a living hell by accident."
 
"How are you and MinKyu?" I ask. He chuckles and shakes his head.
 
"He tried apologizing to me. I listened to what he had to say. He kept saying that I should've told him. He didn't know. He would've tried and helped me. And then he stirred that conversation into a different path. He started yelling at me saying he couldn't believe that I told a girl I just met about this, and not him. We're not friends anymore." He answers.
 
"I'm sorry."
 
"It's okay."
 
"No. Your life is more now." I tell him. "You shouldn't be in foster care, seeing your sister going away to another family."
 
"Are you going to school tomorrow?" He says.
 
"I don't know. Are you?" I ask.
 
"If you are."
 
"Then yes." I say. He finally looks over at me and smiles.
 
"I really missed you. Gosh, JaeEun I was so worried about you." He says, scooting closer to me.
 
"I'm sorry." I say. "I'm really really sorry. I was just super emotional and I kind of believed what MinKyu said. I was a mess at the time. I'm sorry."
 
"It's okay. You had every right to be mad at me at the time." He says. "I shouldn't have told MinKyu about it, especially since I knew he made fun of you."
 
I smiled and he smiled back too. He then stood up and helped me get up.
 
"Do you have to go back?" I ask him.
 
"Yeah. It's going to be a short while 'till they find out I'm gone. I mean, they can't get me in trouble for leaving but it's going to ruin my image of being responsible and being able to be with my sister and know her family." He says. I nod.
 
"I'll walk with you there." I tell him. He smiles.
 
***
 
"JaeEun!" I hear someone say. I turn around in my seat and see MinKyu getting up from his desk and walking towards me. Oh great. What now? I already have people whispering about me and looking at me in school.
 
"Now tell me, what makes you so special that you got to know all his secrets before I did?" He says, sitting on top of my desk. I look behind him. Great, where did my teacher go?
 
"JaeEun!" He shouts louder. I jump back onto my seat a little and look back at him.
 
"What?" I say. He scoffs.
 
"You ruined this with TaeHyung and I. First, you ruin my project which ruined my grade. And now, you ruin my friendship with TaeHyung. A friendship I had with him for years, just because he cares about you more than he does for me. And I knew him way before you." He says. Is this what it is? Jealousy?
 
"Just because you were abused missy doesn't make it an excuse. People in this school think I'm a psycho because of you." He continues. I just stay quiet and cross my arms, looking away from him.
 
I hear people whisper. Too many people were whispering so I turned my head towards the middle of the classroom. I see someone standing at the door and I look that way, seeing TaeHyung standing there. My physics teacher trying to walk in from behind him.
 
"Excuse me Mr." My teacher says, walking in finally and going to her desk.
 
TaeHyung was looking straight at MinKyu. I doubt he could see me because MinKyu was sitting on my desk blocking me from his sight.
 
"TaeHyung?" MinKyu says. "You here for me or your pathetic girlfriend?"
 
"Shut up MinKyu." TaeHyung yells at him. "I'm here for you. I saw her before this period started." He walks towards us. Well, him.
 
"Leave her alone MinKyu." TaeHyung says. "Look, I'm sorry that I never told you anything about this. I'm sorry that I trusted her more than I trusted you. Did you know that I'm in a foster care system right now?"
 
"Don't lie. You're 18." MinKyu says.
 
"I don't have money. I can't live on my own."
 
"You can live with me." MinKyu offers. Wow, even in a fight he's being nice.
 
"Thanks but no thanks. I have my little sister who's in there anyways." TaeHyung says. "Anyways, leave her alone. She's been through enough . She doesn't need to deal with you or the whole school who stands behind you."
 
MinKyu stays quiet. He looks at me and then back at TaeHyung. Then he knocks my notebook onto the ground and storms out the classroom.
 
Whispers gradually get louder. Is it about me? MinKyu? TaeHyung?
 
"Mr-"
 
"Kim." TaeHyung says, finishing her sentence.
 
"Alright, Mr. Kim. Thank you for disrupting my class but would you mind leaving now?" My teacher tells him. TaeHyung looks at her and nods. He looks at me, slightly smiles, and walks out.
 
I don't know what's going on anymore. My life is slightly ruined though getting better, but TaeHyung's life has been sent straight to hell. He's about to loose his little sister. I thought I was helping him, but I'm making it much worse.