Chapter XV

Trust Me

NAMJOON

Namjoon walks into his flat. Is so quite as expected, it's almost three in the morning. If the member aren't sleeping then they are in the company building working on whatever they have to to. When he walks in the living room, he can see Hoseok who is being lazy on the couch with his phone. As he walks in, Heoseok turn to Namjoon. 

"오어—남준아... 왔어?" (Oh, Namjoon-ah you're here?) Says Hoseok still in his lazy position. 

Namjoon did not say much other than walking towards Hoseok and let himself fall next to Hoseok. He sigh heavily and cover his face with his right arm. Hoseok can only stare at him, not sure what just happened to him. 

"왜? 왜? 말해줘..." (What is it? Tell me...) 

"Ugh... You wont believe what happened," says Namjoon with a heavy heart. 

"What? You made out?" guess Hoseok jokingly which he then recieve a ligth punch to his tight by Namjoon's fist. "Ouch! Hahahaha... okay, I'm sorry. What happened?" Hoseok regrets what he said and immediately turn his position to be more serious. 

Once again, Namjoon sigh. "Mmm... Yuna told me... Eh..." Namjoon is still hesitant admitting this. 

"What? Yuna told you she likes you?" says Hoseok, jokingly again. 

Namjoon peeks through his arms and stare at Hoseok, still covering his face though. Namjoon slowly nods a couple of times. 

"하아아?! 찐자?" (Haaah? Really?!) he answered in shock. 

"Yaa! You're too loud, seriously!" Namjoon elbowed Hoseok ribs with his right arm, no longer covering his face. "I'm as surprise as you are. I had no idea..." 

Hoseok expression turns from shock to clam in a second. He once again fix his position and fold his arm. "I'm not shocked because I didn't know. I'm shocked because she finally confess." 

After hearing what Hoseok just said he quickly straighten his back so he can hear Hoseok more properly. "What do you mean by 'finally'?" asks Namjoon. 

"Well... Yuna liking you, that's not a surprise, it's soo obvious. But I'm just kind of shocked why now—" 

"Wait! Hold on... you KNEW?" Namjoon grabs Hoseok shoulder with one of his hand and squeeze it tightly. 

Hoseok is startled by Namjoon sudden movement and continue explaining. "Well... it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Back then, when we were still trainees, when you, me and Suga hyung still likes to go to underground rapper event, me and the other guys like to talk about how Yuna is different around you. There were rumors, but we never really dig into it. Plus, it wasn't my place anyway. So... it was just something I heard around." 

Namjoon is silent. Trying to process what Hoseok just said.

"I guess the rumors were true. Huh... well, what do you know?" adds Hoseok as if like it's nothing. "Wow, you really don't know? Are you that thick? I thought you're suppose to be a genius?" Hoseok continues by teasing Namjoon. 

Namjoon turn his eyes to Hoseok again and grabs his shoulder tighter. "What else do you know?" 

"Nothing much. Just that, and it was only one time. So I didn't think much. Ya... did she really confess? Wow, you have two girls liking you. Hahaha—" 

"Hoseok-ah, focus! What else?" 

Once again Hoseok startled. "Nothing else, I swear. I told you, we talked about this one time and it was years ago. Honest!" 

Namjoon stare deep into Hoseok eyes, and he is sure that there's nothing more. Namjoon lets go of his grip and quickly grabs his phone inside his pocket. He quickly dial Yuna's number and put his phone near his ear. He gets up off his seat and storm off outside.

"Ya! Where are you going?" Hoseok yells a bit as Namjoon walks out the flat. 

He puts his phone closely to his ear while walking back and forth.He stares at his shoe and his free hand is massaging the back of his head. The dial tune is ringing but no answer. As soon as the call failed, he quickly try to call her again and again and again. But, nothing. She's not picking up. There's nothing left to do besides calling Minju. 

❉ ❉ ❉

 

YUNA

Yuna is laying on her bed all night staring at the celling the whole time. She couldn’t fall asleep despite her swollen eyes and a huge eye bags. For someone who has a tired heart, Yuna has a strong endurance for staying awake. In her grasp its her phone that had been buzzing like crazy for the past few hours until recently it stops for almost an hour and a half. Her phone ran out of power, which a no surprise since her phone is constantly getting messages and phone calls, but she still hold it tightly in her hand. She did not read any of the messages and she also did not pick up any of the phone calls, no matter who it is on the other end. 

The dawn atmosphere is creeping throughout the room and its so quite that Yuna can hear herself breathing. She blink her dry eyes couple of times and turn her head slowly to the right. She looks at her phone that it is on her hand and inhale heavily. She gets up and reach out for the charger and plug the cord to her phone. A few seconds later the screen lights up, she waits for her phone to fully start up and immediately look at her notification bar.

📞 12 missed calls. 
✉️ 4 new messages 
💬 K-Talk A new message from 김남준

She didn’t bother to check who called her 12 times and goes straight to open the new K-Talk message. When the chat window is opened, she would expect a long message from him but no. Namjoon only sent her a short message. 

 


김남준: Stop ignoring my calls. 
김남준: I’m not going to force you anymore. Call me when you feel ready… 


 

She looks at the time stamp of both message. The first one was delivered at 01.42 a.m, while the second one was delivered at 04.38 a.m, it’s 05.15 right now. It’s no surprise if Namjoon did not sleep at all like her. She read those two lines of message for couple times but when she’s about to reply, nothing comes in mind. She drops her phone on the floor and massage her temple with both of her thumbs. She gets up from her bed and walk slowly towards the door, although it’s quiet she can hear someone talking outside her bedroom. The voice is very subtle that she can barely hear it but its clear enough to know that someone is already awake. Yuna takes a deep breath and turn the door knob very slowly and carefully, tries to make a little sound as possible. The worse case scenario is that it’s Minju outside talking to someone, definitely not Jane because Jane is currently sleeping right now. When the door is open a bit, Yuna peak through the gap to see who it is, but she can’t see anyone. She open her room door with more confident but still carefully. She lets herself out of the room with a few steps and tip-toeing to the bathroom. As she is inside, she realize no body was outside so she feels relief. 

A few minutes later Yuna gets out the bathroom and there she sees Minju who’s sitting on the dinning table with her tea that is still hot. Minju turns to Yuna as Yuna turn to her. Their eyes meet for a few second but Yuna quickly turn away. She tries to calm herself down and walk slowly to her room. 

“Wait, Yuna,” says Minju. It immediately stops Yuna. “Can we talk please?” 

Yuna sigh heavily and turn her body slowly. She looks at Minju who is still sitting with both of her hand holding to her cup of tea. She walks reluctantly to where Minju is sitting and takes the seat across her. She sits uncomfortably and cup her hand with another on her lap. 

“I heard you talking to someone. Was it you?” says Yuna tries to break the ice. 

“Mmmh, yeah. I was talking to Namjoon… on the phone. He couldn’t call you so, he called me.” 

Silence. 

“We… have to talk about what happened,” Minju continues. Yuna shrug, reluctant to answer. “Why didn’t you say something to me?” 

Yuna scoff. “Same question. Mmmm… I don’t know. I just… I wasn’t fond to the idea of talking about it. So…”

Minju withdraws her hand and put on her lap just like Yuna. “It would’ve been nice, if you said something. I mean… at least, if I’ve had known how you feel. I wouldn’t do what I did.” 

“What did you do? You didn’t exactly do anything right? And… anyway, I choose not to tell anyone.” Yuna answer. 

“Not even Jane? Why?” 

She her hair back so it won’t cover her face. “I don’t see the upside of telling anyone about how I feel.” says Yuna, while looks straight into Minju’s eyes.. But, Minju couldn’t say anything, all she knows that if she had knows that Yuna likes Namjoon, she would do everything differently. 

“I’m really sorry. I feel such a bad friend. I feel like I’ve been selfish this whole time. I feel like I was not fair to you. I feel like—“ 

“Stop that! It’s not your fault.” Yuna stops Minju before she keeps on talking non sense. “I was not even… sure. I was not sure what would I do with my feelings. At least you were sure.” 

Minju’s tense shoulder loosen up. Minju can only stare at Yuna who’s bowing her head down. “I dunno what would makes you feel better. If I have to stop talking or seeing him, I would do—“ 

“What? No. Okay, stop this. You and Namjoon both looks AND thinks that I’m this fragile girl when you both know that I’m not. I’m not fragile,” Yuna once again cuts Minju who’s feeling so bad. “Look, you obviously feel bad about all of this right?” 

“Of course I am and I’m REALLY sorry—“ 

“You feel like this is your fault or whatever, when it’s obviously not your fault. So I’m going to give you an out…” 

Minju tilt her head and shrug. “How?” 

“This whole time… I’ve been talking to Namjoon, which you know. But you don’t know why I never mention you to him or even try to mention about Namjoon in from of you. I never actually try to reconnect both of you guys back… until recently Namjoon decided that it was time. You want to know the reason why I didn’t try?”

Yuna stops for a while to see Minju’s expression, and Minju still show her confuse face. “I didn’t try because I know… when you guys get back in touch, it’s going to be over for me. I would start to help Namjoon getting back with you, and I’ll lose Namjoon forever and I would do anything to prevent that from happening. That’s why… I didn’t want you guys to talk to each other so quick because I just want to have Namjoon all to myself just… a little bit longer.” 

Yuna sniff. “Now you see, that I’m not all that a saint. I did a bad thing too. So you can stop feeling guilty.” 

Yuna stares at Minju with a blank expression. 

❉ ❉ ❉

 

MINJU

As Yuna explains herself, Minju listen to everything without interrupting. Yuna’s eyes turns red and teary. Hearing to what Yuna just said stab Minju’s heart deeply. The feeling of guilt is burning Minju until the tip of her fingers, disregard what Yuna just admit. Minju turn his head to look at her phone on the edge of the table. Before she had this conversation between Yuna, she was on the phone with Namjoon. 

 

Before Yuna out of the bathroom...

Minju is holding her phone close to her ear. Hearing Namjoon's voice from the other end. "She still wont return my call." says Namjoon through the telephone. 

"Maybe, she's still asleep," answer Minju trying to reassure Namjoon. 

"I doubt it."

Minju bites her lips, unable to answer because she actually knew that Yuna wouldn't be asleep right now. It's almost dawn, no one is awake yet or still. She turn to Yuna's room door, it's quite on the other side of the door but she's sure that Yuna is still wide awake. Just when she was about to give up and end her call with Namjoon, she can hear something fell from Yuna's room. That sound sweep Minju off her feet and quickly gets up from her seat. She holds her breath and walks fast towards her room in little step and close her room door quietly. She's leaning to the door and put her cheeks on the surface so she can hear what's going on outside. 

"Ya, what was that?" asks Namjoon, just when Minju still feel the tense as if like she's being chased by someone. Minju did not answer Namjoon immediately as she still holds her breath. 

She push her ear toward her room door so she can hear clearer. She hears a door being open and someone is walking. Then a few second later, she hears the bathroom door close. Although she doesn't know who that was, she wants to believe that it was Yuna. 

"Yaa!" Namjoon is getting impetient. 

"Eey... be quiet. I think Yuna is awake now." says Minju. 

"Really? Oh okay, okay. Are you going to talk to her now?" he asks. 

"She's in the bathroom but when she gets out, I'm going to..." 

"Minju-ya... don't hung up the phone. Let me listen to what she has to say too."

"Okay. Just be quite." 

As soon as she said that, Minju gets out of her room and sit in her previous seat waiting for Yuna to come out. She puts her phone in the middle of the table, close to the edge. Hoping Namjoon could hear them, but not make it obvious at the same time. 

 

Present...

She stares at her phone, wondering if he hears all that. She reach out to her phone and press the home button, but when the screen lights up she sees that the phone called has ended. Damn it! All of that was for nothing? I thought you want to hear what Yuna wants to say? Tsk, this guy. She swore in her heart. Minju quickly puts her phone away and return her focus to Yuna again. Yuna is still sitting right across her, frozen with red and teary eyes but unable to cry. Yuna is now resting her elbow on the table and cover her face with her hand. Some of her hair fall to the front, so it covers her face more. 

"I'm a bad person, Minju-ya," Yuna finally opens again. 

"Don't say that. You're not. Nothing you can say would make me feel less guilty or makes you a bad person," Minju try to comfort her as she reach Yuna's hand. She squeeze her hand lightly with compassionate. 

"Don't feel guilty. Honestly, it was by my own choice. I told you, I was not even sure what I'll do with that feeling that I had. I was selfish too. I didn't want to do anything about it, but I dont want to lose him too—" 

"You're not. Trust me... I would've done... the same thing," says Minju again. "Trust me." Minju looks deep into Yuna's teary eyes. Yuna stare back at her and exhale slowly. 

"And... if you want me to stop—" 

"No! I know what you're going to say and no... I don't want you to do that." 

"Look, I would do anything to make things better, honestly." 

"If you want me to forget what happened, then help me move on. Really, if you want to make things better, help me forget about this feeling. I honestly can't be stuck on the same guy for years and years. I don't want that. I want to move on." 

Minju is unsure on how to respond so she just listen to her request. 

"To be honest, I've thought this through. I made a promise to myself that when you guys are finally together... that's when I'll try to move on and let him go. I can't be stuck forever, Minju. I can't. I don't want that." This time Yuna is not able to hold back her tears anymore. Tears starts to fall like a river. 

For some reason, tears also falls from Minju's eyes. Minju quickly wipe it away and sigh. "Then... if that's what you want, I'll help you with that. I'll do whatever you want me to do." 

Yunas' smile rose despite the falling tears. She sigh, "Okay." 

MInju smile and gets up from her seat and takes the seat next to Yuna. She embrace her tightly as she wraps her hand around Yuna's shoulder. Yuna receive her hug and put her arms around Minju's back. 

"Honestly, I want nothing more than happiness for my two best friends," says Yuna as she lets go of her hug. "But, you should also accept the fact that by doing this... it will also bring peace to me. I will finally be able to move on. You should be able to see that too. If I can, you and Namjoon should be able to see that too." Minju smile hearing what Yuna said. "Don't look at this as something that breaks me... but look at it as something that finally sets me free. Okay?" 

Minju is speechless. For that point on she knew nothing else will make Yuna feels any better. This whole time, Minju underestimate Yuna's ability and strength. She never knew how strong and mature her best friend is until now. Never in a million years would Minju think that Yuna feels that way. Both feeling for Namjoon and her determination to move on. Minju looks at her best friend and her hair and hug her once again for the sake of it. Yuna wipes away her tears in her embrace and laugh it off a little bit. Despite the fact that Yuna is actually the one who's broken hearted, in some way Yuna ended up comforting Minju instead of the other way around. Now... Minju sees her in a whole new level. 

Suddenly, when she and Yuna are hugging it out to let it all out of their system. Minju's phone vibrates like crazy. Minju and Yuna lets go off their hug and turn their attention to Minju's screen. There on the screen, it's written... 

📞 Incoming Call 남준이~

Minju reach out to her phone and looks at Yuna. Yuna shrug, telling her to answer the phone. Minju hits the green button and pull her phone close to her ear. "여보세요? (Hello)"

"Can you give the phone to Yuna?" Without answering, Minju pulls her phone away from her ear and give it to Yuna slowly. At first, Yuna shows that she's reluctant to receive but finally she slowly takes the phone from Minju's hand and put it close the her ear. 

Yuna sigh for the last time. "What? Are you a stalker? Ya! You're disturbing my rest time. What were you thinking calling me that many time, huh?" Yuna immediately scold Namjoon without saying hi, pretending as if everything is fine. Yuna turns to Minju and smile at her. Minju hold in her laughter and she finally feel a huge relief in her heart. 

"Ya! I'm gonna hung up and you call to my phone, okay? ... uh? Yeah, Yeah, I'll pick up ... I swaer. Geez! ... Mmmhh... Mmmhh. Okay. Bye." Yuna click the red button and give Minju's phone back. "I have a phone call waiting for me from your boyfriend." 

MInju receive her phone back and smile. "Haha... go. He'll probably come here if you dont answer." 

"Akh! Don't say that. I dont want him here, he'll destroy the buidling once he set foot." 

Minju laughs it off hearing Yuna's comment. Minju watch Yuna gets up from her seat and walk towards her room without saying anything. As she walks further away and finally disappear behind her bedroom door, the only thing that she's thinking is how mature Yuna has become. She really had been underestimating Yuna's capability and she should never treat her like a fragile broken girl ever again. She knows now, that Yuna knows what's best for her and what to do and when she should do it. If she should learn some kind of a moral lesson from all of this, is that Yuna is one tough girl and honesty really is the best policy. Especially if you want to keep someone like Yuna around in your life. 

❉ ❉ ❉