Dinner

Secret that’s solemnly mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2 – Dinner

 

* * * *

 

Jinri kept asking the same questions over and over about how came the staffs had preparing a well-perfect dinner for tonight. She was nervously pacing around in her office.

Krystal reached out to hold her friend in place. "Jinri, honey, you need to stop. Trust me, everything will be fine and fall into place. I'm making sure our best server is here tonight. But I'm just curious of who are you trying to impress?"

Jinri's eyes widened with anxiousness. "Oh god! Krystal, of course it's everyone! My parents, my in-laws."

"And your husband." Said Krystal.

"I didn't say that." Replied Jinri quietly.

Krystal sighed. She gave Jinri a sympathetic look as she held her face to look at her. "Hey, I was just kidding okay? Well listen, if this stupid guy doesn't know what a great person he has in his life, it is his loss. And Jinri, if it is that hard for you, maybe you should leave him."

"Krys, It's not that simple." Said Jinri, sinking into a nearby chair, feeling as if she were on the verge of tears as she looked at her friend. "You know, I can't just divorce him."

Krystal sighed. "Okay whatever your reason maybe, just don't let him intimidate you. Remember, this is your night so don't let him ruin it."

In response, Jinri smiled, "You are right."

A moment later, one of the waiters informed Jinri of her parents' arrival and the nerves that had momentarily left came flooding back. She checked her reflection in a mirror and she was pleased with her appearance. Stepping out of the office Jinri was immediately greeted warmly by her mother and mother-in-law, they kissed her cheeks.

"Oh my, Jinri, this place is fabulous! Very chic." Jinri's mother-in-law squealed as her eyes sparkling.

"Yes right, darling. It is as lovely as the last time we were here." Agreed her own mother, glancing around the restaurant, an approving smile on her face.

Jinri blushed and beamed delightfully, "Thanks, I'm really proud of the place."

"As you should be, daughter!" Here came the booming voice of her father-in-law, patting Jinri on the back.

Jinri turned to smile at him. Every time she looked at him, she had always been reminded of Minho. He was so alike his dad. They strongly resembled to one another from each possessing dark brown hair, strong jaw, upturned nose, and athletic build. However, in personality, his dad was more lax and loved to joke around, while Minho was quietly cold and only laughed when he truly found something amusing.

"Where in the world is Minho?" Said Minho's mother. She checked her classy watch, frowning.

Jinri smiled, remembering she had purchased that watch for her mother-in-law last year. Jinri was so pleased to know that she still wore it regularly.

They took the seat at the table Jinri had reserved for them.

"I think we should order drinks while we're waiting, shouldn't we?" Said Minho's father.

"Indeed, it doesn't hurt to order a conversational drink." Agreed Jinri's father, taking his place between his wife and daughter.

Jinri smiled at them as she motioned to the waiter to take their drink orders and then she checked her own watch. It was five past eight and she distinctly remembered telling Minho to be at the restaurant by eight.

"Jinri." Whispered Jinri's mother as she leaned to the side slightly to her daughter. "You did let Minho know what time we were meeting, right?"

Jinri nodded as she kept plastering her gentle smile while playing with her wedding band under the table. "Yes, I did tell him mom. He actually called me before you arrived and said that he would be a little late. He told me that he had an errand to run urgently."

Jinri breathed a sigh of relief when everyone nodded, believing her fabricated lie.

The elders chatted amicably for ten more minutes and Jinri grew even more agitated by each second as she kept glancing at the clock. And as when she almost stood up and came up with an excuse in order to give Minho a call, the door of the restaurant swung open and there was Minho bustled in, heading towards their table.

"I apologize for being late." Said Minho apologetically, swooping down to kiss Jinri on the cheek and dropping into the seat next to her.

Struggling to contain her anger, Jinri bit the inside of her lip as the smell of perfume, sweat, and another scent she was all too familiar with intruded her nose. Jinri took a drink of the wine she had ordered and when she put the glass back down, Minho took a hold of her hand, entwining their fingers together. Jinri narrowed her eyes at him as she tried to swallow the wine, burning down with the bitter liquid. She sneered inwardly as Minho wasn't even looking at her.

"Excuse me for a moment." Said Jinri. She ripped her hand from Minho's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter