I Need U

I Need U

 

The warm spring breeze embraces Byul as she walks down the usual road back to her home. Today was the normal routine where she'll wake up early to go to classes at Seoul University and then hang out and eat with her small group of friends afterwards. However, today ended a little later than usual since it was a Friday night and everyone felt like going out for a little drink. 

Byul stopped her feet infront of a big intersection as the pedestrian signs signaled red and the cars zoomed past by. Then all of a sudden, 

"YAH. Listen to me you kid. You bumped into someone older and you don't even bother to apologize? Yah. Are you even listening?" A middle aged man was arguing with a boy around Byul's age who was looking absentmindly to the ground. 

I've seen that guy somewhere....

"Do you see this kid? Who the hell does he think he is?" The man started to get mad as he was not getting what he wanted. He grabbed the boys shoulder and was ready to punch him, but luckily, the man's friend stopped him in time. 

"Yah. Just let him go. He just bumped into you slightly. Come on. Lets go." The friend cooled him down and the guy listened. "You're lucky this time." The man steamed out some words before leaving the boy. 

Byul continued to stare at they boy as she was slightly worried. He still had an empty stare and aimlessly walked straight forward, going past Byul. She followed her eyes but quickly noticed that the pedestrian lights were red.

"Wait!" She screamed and pulled on the boy's hoodie. The boy lost his balance and landed on the floor, and the next moment, a car zoomed past the two. "You need to be careful!" Byul scolded with worry. 

The boy who was still lying on the ground with his head down, slowly raised his head. 

 

"Jungkook? .... Kookie? Is that you?" Byul's eyes widened in disbelief. She embraced him around his neck but he immediately pushed her away. "ah! Kookie-ah..." Byul whispered with shock. 

"Don't call me Kookie. I'm not Kookie. Don't even speak of that word again." He continued to speak as he breathed heavily with anger. Byul continued to star at the side view of the boy. 

 

It's different. His gaze. HIs attitude. It's not the Jungkook I know anymore. It's not the warm, friendly Kookie I have known six years ago... 

 

"It's me! Byul! Your friend since 5th grade!" She tried to remind him but he gave no response. Moments of silence lingered on. 

The lights finally turned green and the beeping sounds started to fill the silence. People walked by giving the two strange stairs. Byul looked around and started to feel conscious of the stares so she wrapped her left arm around jungkook's waist and grabbed hold of his arm with the other, helping him up.

"Come on. Let's go sit down at the bench inside the park over there." She lead jungkook inside the park and found a spot to sit down. Jungkook was still gazing into nowhere. Byul was extremely worried as there was no response from him. There was a sudden buzzing noise, and she checked her phone but it wasn't coming from her phone. She looked up at Jungkook. 

"I think its your phone." She pointed at his phone inside his pocket. 

still no reponse.

"I'm going to pick it up for you okay?" She cautiously said as she snuck her hands inside his jacket pocket and pulled out the phone. "Hello?" She answered. 

"oh... um. hi. Is this Junkook's phone?" The guy on the other line spoke. 

"Yes it is. This is Byul, his old childhood friend." She explained. "Byul... Oh. Oh hey Byul-sshi! um. Is Jungkook there?" 

"He is... but he's been very weird and he wont respond to me at all." 

"Ohh... yeah. I thought so. Um. Where are you guys right now?" The guy asked. "We're at a park near Seoul University." "Okay thanks. I'll be right there." 

The phone call ended and Byul placed the phone gently on the bench. 

"One of your friend is going to come here soon." She explained to Jungkook but there was no response once again. Byul learned to just accept and looked into space with Jungkook. 

What happened over the past six years that we've been separated?  Does he not remember me anymore? Im so happy to see you again after you suddenly left. Why did you even suddenly dissapear six years ago? Are you okay?

Byul had many questions and thoughts floating in her mind as she spent some time in silence with her old childhood friend. 

"Jungkook!" A familiar voice called out. Byul snapped out of her thoughts and turned her attention to the boy running towards them. She stood up and greeted him. 

"Hey. I'm so sorry bout it. I'll take care of him from now on." The guy took Jungkooks arm and wrapped his around his neck. He bowed one last time to Byul and started walking away. 

"Wait!" Byul hastily stopped him. "What's wrong with him?" She carefully asked but the guy was hesitant to answer. "I'm his childhood friend. We haven't met for the past six years, but he was and still is a big part of my life. I'm just really worried about him. Is he okay?" 

The boy let out a sigh. 

"Follow me." The guy nodded to an unknown direction and started to walk as Byul trailed behind.