Chapter 7: Silenzio (Silence)

A Song for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Friday and Shin Hye was excited to start her day. She got up early and fixed herself up immediately.

 

After making sure that all her belongings were packed, she made her way down to the hotel lobby to check out.

 

Last night, she was able to narrow down her list of apartment options to two, and she decided to take the one closest to her workplace. The rent is a little higher compared to the other one, but it would be more convenient and safer for her considering that she will be working at night.

 

When she reached the apartment building, she went in and made her way to the owner’s office to inform her that she will be moving in on that same day. Mrs. Yoon, the landlady, welcomed her warmly and discussed to her the terms and conditions.

 

After their short discussion, the landlady accompanied her to her unit. Her apartment was on the fourth floor. There was an elevator, but there were no guards in the building, however, Mrs. Yoon assured her that it was a safe place. It was a studio apartment that has a kitchen and a bathroom in it. It was semi-furnished. It has an aircon which she didn’t know yet if it’s still working fine, a stove, a table with two chairs, a bed with mattress and a cabinet.

 

“So, would this be fine, Ms. Park?” the landlady inquired.

 

“Neh.”

 

“Alright, I’ll leave you now so you can rest. You know how to reach me if you need anything.”

 

“Neh, Mrs. Yoon. Kamsahamnida,” she replied as she bowed her head.

 

When Mrs. Yoon left, she immediately closed the door, and brought her things near the table. She placed the food that she bought earlier on the table and sat on the chair. She reached for her suitcase and ped it. She took out a photo frame and stared at it. It was a picture of her and her mother.

 

“Eomma, I’m really excited to start my new life here in Seoul. I wish you were here with me.” Tears were starting to form in her eyes. She brought the photo frame to her lips and kissed it softly. “I miss you, Eomma.”

 

 

Kyuhyun was having a late lunch in a restaurant when he thought of Shin Hye. He knew that she will be moving into her new apartment today. He offered to help her in any way he can, but she declined it with a smile of thanks, as she didn’t want to disturb him. He no longer insisted on it as he was afraid that doing so might annoy her. He even wanted to ask her what time is she leaving her hotel and where her new apartment is located, but he didn’t do it anymore as he may sound importunate.

 

He wanted to call her to wish her good luck as she was to start her new job, but he forgot to ask her number and he wanted to distance himself a little as much as possible, because he knew that if he keeps on seeing her, they might become closer and he didn’t want people to misunderstand it, especially now that even him was starting to question himself.

 

He thought of calling Geun Suk instead.

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“Hyung, it’s me.”

 

“What is it this time?” he cheerfully joked.

 

“Uhm, well, as you know Shin Hye will be starting to work in Sukira tonight. Please look after her.”

 

“Ahhh. Of course, I will. Don’t worry. Is that all?”

 

“And can you wish her luck for me?”

 

“Eyyy. Why don’t you just drop by and tell her that yourself?” he suggested.

 

“Uhm, actually....,” He was for a moment lost for words. “Actually, I would love to, but I’m kinda busy right now,” he lied.

 

“Ah, jinja? Then call her instead.”

 

“I-I don’t have her number.”

 

“That’s weird.”

 

“Yah!”

 

“O-Okay, okay, I’ll just tell her that then.”

 

“Gomawo.”

 

“Anytime,” Geun Suk said, and they ended the call.

 

 

It was 4:45 in the afternoon when Shin Hye left her apartment and headed to Sukira. It was a 15-minute walk from where she lives to her workplace. Geun Suk told her to report to work 30 minutes before the bar opens, but she wanted to be early.

 

The bar opens at 6:00 PM and closes at 2:00 AM from Sunday to Thursday, and 4:00 AM every Friday and Saturday.

 

When she arrived at Sukira, she went straight to the main entrance. The guards recognized her, so they greeted her with smiles. She informed them that she was a new employee, and that she’ll be working as a waitress. They told her to use the other entrance designated for staff. One of them even led her the way to the employee entrance and told her to look for her supervisor first at the servers’ room. Shin Hye thanked him and made her way inside.

 

It was still early, but when she entered the bar, there were already a lot of employees inside, and most of them were staring at her. She could also hear them whispering to each other.

 

“Who is she?”

 

“Is she a new hire?”

 

“She must be new.”

 

“Oh, a newbie, perhaps.”

 

As she walked, she flashed them a bright smile and greeted them warmly, but nobody greeted her back. She was busy greeting people that she didn’t notice that someone was heading towards her direction, and they nearly bumped into each other.

 

She suddenly stopped walking when she saw a woman standing in front of her. She was tall, pretty and her face was almost fully made-up. She could definitely pass off as one of those idols she sees on TV.

 

“Omo, I’m sorry!” she said as she realized that she almost bumped into her.

 

The woman didn’t say a word, but she looked annoyed and she was just staring at her. Then her gaze ran over her from head to toe and vice versa.

 

“I’m really sorry. I wasn’t paying attention, so I didn’t see you,” she apologized again as she bowed her head.

 

The girl rolled her eyes. “Move!”

 

“Neh?” Shin Hye was unsure if she heard it correctly.

 

“I said get out of my way.” she commanded.

 

Shin Hye moved aside and let her pass.

 

“Tss!” The girl rolled her eyes again and walked past her. As she walked towards the door, someone called out to her.

 

“Uee!”

 

It was Geun Suk.

 

“Uee, stop. Wait up!” he called to her again.

 

Uee ignored him and quickened her pace as she exited the bar. He followed her as she made her way to where her car was parked.

 

The people inside, including Shin Hye, were watching them from inside through the transparent glass door.

 

Uee got into her car and drove off. Geun Suk looked mad as he kicked the ground in frustration while watching her drove away.

 

After a few minutes, he decided to go back inside the bar. The staff immediately pretended to look busy as if nothing happened.

 

When he entered the bar, he still seemed pre-occupied. His face lightened a bit when he saw Shin Hye.

 

“Annyeong hasseyo, Mr. Jang!” she greeted him.

 

“Oh, Ms. Park. You’re here.” He glanced at his watch. “You’re..uhm..a bit early.”

 

“Neh, Manager Jang.”

 

“Well, let’s go to your supervisor then, so she can discuss to you everything.”

 

Geun Suk led the way to the servers’ room and Shin Hye followed him. When they reached the door, he knocked three times before opening it.

 

“Annyeong hasseyo, Manager Jang.” Ms. Choi bowed her head as they entered.

 

“Annyeong, Ms. Choi. This is Ms. Park Shin Hye. She’s a new hire and she will work here under your supervision,” he said. Then he turned to Shin Hye. “Ms. Park, she’s Ms. Choi Soo Eun, the head waitress.”

 

“Annyeong hasseyo, Ms. Choi,” she said as she bowed her head.

 

 “Ms. Choi, I have to go. I’ll leave her now to you,” Geun Suk said.

 

“Neh.”

 

Geun Suk made his way to the door, but before he could step out, he remembered something.

 

“Ah, Ms. Park?” he called out.

 

“Neh?” She turned to him, a little surprised.

 

“Uhm, Kyuhyun called me a few hours ago to wish you luck,” he informed her with a smile on his face.

 

“Ah, n-neh. K-Kamsahamnida,” she said in a soft voice.

 

“You’re welcome. I’d better get going,” he said and then left.

 

A sweet smile formed on her lips upon hearing what Geun Suk had told her, but it soon faded when she realized that she was still with her supervisor.

 

“Erm.” Ms. Choi cleared . Shin Hye immediately turned to look at her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter