Chapter 12: Melody

A Song for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun was sitting on the couch while waiting for Shin Hye who was in the bathroom fixing herself up. It was Yu-bi’s wedding day and he agreed to come with her when she asked him if he wanted to come.

 

“Oppa, I’m done. Let’s go?” she asked as she made her way out of the bathroom.

 

Kyuhyun immediately stood up when she came out. He was for a moment lost for words when he saw her. She was wearing a white mid-length short sleeve dress, and her hair was tied up in a wavy ponytail. Her face was so angelic, he thought. He was, once again, stunned by her beauty.

 

His gaze was definitely on her but she didn’t notice it as she was also amazed at how handsome Kyuhyun looked in his white long sleeve shirt, black tie and pants.

 

 

They were unknowingly just staring at each other when her phone beeped, that made both of them come back to their senses. Shin Hye immediately fumbled her handbag for her phone as Kyuhyun cleared his throat.

 

“It’s Yu-bi,” she said after reading her friend’s text message. She knew she had to say something to get rid of the awkward mood around them.

 

“I-I see. I guess we better get going. Let’s go,” he said, bending down to pick up his keys on the table.

 

“ N-Neh.”

 

 

“Oppa, are we going to use your motorcycle?” Shin Hye asked jokingly when they reached the parking area of their apartment building.

 

Her hometown was three hours away from Seoul. Initially, she planned to just bring their clothes and change at the venue, as she knew that they couldn’t ride his bike wearing clothes like what they had now, but Kyuhyun objected the idea, saying that he’ll be the one to take care of the ride.

 

“Ani. We’re using my car,” he replied as he pressed the remote key to unlock his car.

 

“Get in,” he said as he opened the car door at the passenger’s seat for her.

 

When she got into the car, he then made his way to the driver’s seat, started the engine and drove off.

 

 “Oppa, you sure have a lot of secrets,” she said while they were already on the road.

 

He glanced at her and then back at the road again. “Wae?”

 

“Hmm, well first, I didn’t know you own a car, and second...” She suddenly hesitated to continue.

 

He took a quick look at her again when she paused. “What?” he asked smiling.

 

“Oppa, I didn’t mean to intrude, but I found out that you’re a great song writer,” she finally said, with a sincere smile on her face.

 

Kyuhyun was surprised by what she said as he almost stepped on the brake.

 

“Oppa..” she uttered.

 

“Mianhae. But, w-what did you just say? I mean how did you –“

 

She cut him off. “I’m really sorry, oppa. I-I didn’t mean to see it. I was actually looking for the bathroom when I first got into your apartment, but... but there were two doors, so I opened the first one beside the stairs only to find out it was a music room. I-I became curious, so I went in and –“

 

She was speaking too fast, narrating what happened without any pause, and couldn’t even look at him in the face when he let out a laugh.

 

Shin Hye was surprised when she heard him laugh. She slowly looked at him as he gave her a sideway glance.

 

“Mianhaeyo, oppa,” she said softly.

 

“Don’t be. It’s okay. I was just surprised that you knew about it.”

 

“That you write songs?” she asked, a little confused.

 

He nodded with a smile on his face, his gaze still on the road.

 

“Waeyo?” she asked.

 

“Hmm, let’s just say I don’t really talk about it to anyone.”

 

“I-I see,” she said shyly. She wanted to ask him more questions but she thought he might not want to talk about it, so she decided to no longer press the matter.

 

Kyuhyun noticed that she suddenly became quiet. “I just keep it to myself because I don’t think my songs were that good,” he continued. He didn’t know what got into him, but he felt the need to explain.

 

“You mean no one knows about it?”

 

“Neh, well except for my parents, Yoon Hye and... you,” he replied as he took another glance at her, smiling.

 

Shin Hye smiled. She knew that this time, he’s open to talk about it.

 

“But oppa, I’ve read one of your unfinished songs and I think it’s beautiful.”

 

He shifted his gaze to her when the traffic light turned red. He could see sincerity in her eyes.

 

He chuckled. “Did you know that you were the first person who said that?”

 

“Jinja?”

 

“Neh, not even my parents,” he said as he stepped on the gas when the light turned green.

 

“Were they able to listen to your songs?” she asked.

 

He shook his head.

 

“Now you know why,” she said.

 

She had a point, he thought. She was right, his parents didn’t get the chance to read or listen to the songs that he wrote, but Yoon Hye did and she never complimented him or his work like Shin Hye did.

 

“Hmm, well, yeah, I guess you’re right,” he said, a sweet smile formed on his face. “Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it,” he added.

 

 

It was a long drive, but both Kyuhyun and Shin Hye enjoyed it. They talked about different things that they didn’t notice they were already in Shin Hye’s hometown. It was when she saw the restaurant where she used to work that she realized they were near the venue.

 

“Oppa, we’re almost there. See that restaurant on your left? That’s where Yu-bi and I used to work.”

 

“Miss everything in here?” he asked.

 

“Hmm, not really, just the memories with my Eomma and... some friends like Yu-bi,” she answered. “Oh look, there’s the bookstore,” she continued. She may have bad memories in her hometown, but being there again made her feel happy.

 

Shin Hye guided him with the directions going to where Yu-bi’s wedding will be held, and when they finally reached their destination, the ceremony had already started.

 

It was an indoor wedding and the venue was simply but beautifully decorated. There were at least sixty people inside. They were seated at the back since they arrived late. She was excited to see her friend in her wedding gown, but could only see her back at that moment. When the ceremony ended, she finally saw how pretty Yu-bi looked in her wedding dress. People started to surround and congratulate the couple as they headed towards the reception hall.

 

When Yu-bi saw Shin Hye, they hugged each other tightly, both smiling from ear to ear. She congratulated her friend and then the groom, while Yu-bi took notice of the man behind Shin Hye.

 

“I think you have a lot of explaining to do,” Yu-bi whispered to Shin Hye, giving her a teasing smile.

 

Shin Hye knew what her friend was trying to imply.

 

“I know what you’re thinking. He’s a friend,” she said smiling at her.

 

“I should talk to him later,” Yu-bi said, winking at her, before she and her husband made their way to the reception hall.

 

“Aish, this girl,” she said, shaking her head slowly.

 

 

Kyuhyun and Shin Hye, like everybody else, followed the couple to the reception

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter