Chapter 11: Crescendo

A Song for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oppa, annyeong! Come on down. Let’s eat,” Shin Hye called out to Kyuhyun when she saw him standing upstairs. It was Tuesday and he had just woken up. He checked the time on the clock hanging on the wall downstairs. It was past 9:00 in the morning and Shin Hye was busy preparing breakfast in the kitchen.

 

“N-Neh, neh. I’ll be right there,” he replied as he took his phone and towel and headed downstairs. He went straight to the bathroom and washed up.

 

When he came out of the bathroom, everything was set at the dining table. Shin Hye was already there waiting for him.

 

“Mianhae,” he said as he pulled out a chair and sat on it.

 

“Wae?” she asked, puzzled.

 

“I woke up late and wasn’t able to help you prepare the breakfast.”

 

“Eyyy, no worries. Since you’ve done me a big favor, I’m in charge in preparing our meals starting today,” she said and then winked at him.

 

“Ah, jinja? But you’re my boarder. Boarders don’t have to cook for their landlords.”

 

“Well, yes, but it’s fine with me because I know that you’re not going to charge me for the food, right?” she said, smiling brightly at him.

 

“Hmmm..” Kyuhyun smirked and then drank his coffee.

 

“You’re not going to charge me, right?” she repeated, but got no response. “...A-Are you?” she then asked.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled. “I won’t demand any payment, of course.”

 

She heaved a sigh of relief.

 

As they were eating, she noticed that his eyes were puffy, like he hadn’t had much sleep.

 

“Oppa, have you had enough sleep last night?” she asked.

 

Kyuhyun was slightly taken aback by her question. “H-Huh? Me? N-Neh. Wae?” he asked defensively.

 

“Eyyy, don’t lie. You look like you lack sleep. I bet you’re waiting for Yoon Hye’s call again,” she teased.

 

“A-Ani.”

 

“Hmmm, if you say so,” she said as she scooped some food on her plate. “I wish I could meet her soon,” she added.

 

“Wae?” he asked.

 

“Nothing. I just want her to be my friend, that’s all. You know, I don’t really have girlfriends here in Seoul,” she responded, and then sipped her coffee. “Oppa, could you show me her picture? I want to see how she looks like. She must be so pretty,” She suddenly became excited.

 

Kyuhyun pulled out his phone and browsed through it.

 

“Here,” he said, handing his phone to her.

 

“Just as I expected,” she commented with a bright smile on her face. “She’s so lucky,” she continued, still looking at Yoon Hye’s picture.

 

“To have me as a boyfriend?” he joked.

 

“Neh,” she replied unconsciously.

 

His eyes rolled left and right. He didn’t expect her answer, although he thought she may not be paying attention with his question and just blurted out yes. “Uhm, you think so?” he then asked to confirm.

 

“Neh,” she answered as she looked at him, then back to his phone again.

 

He fell silent, and she noticed it. She then realized what she had just said. “A-Ani. I mean yes, of course,” she stuttered. “Of course, she’s lucky to have you because you’re an amazing person. Yeah right, that’s it,” she said, then faked a smile as she suddenly felt shy about it. “But.. but aside from that and being pretty, she’s lucky to have been doing what she loves to do.”

 

He let out a hidden sigh before he spoke. “I guess you could say that. Well, I think you’re equally lucky as her, because you’ll finally get to do what you dreamt of doing all your life.”

 

“Hmm, I guess you have a point.”

 

“So, what time are you performing tonight?” he asked, trying to change the subject.

 

“I’m not sure yet. Wae? Are you going to watch?” she asked, smiling at him.

 

“Wae, am I not allowed to?”

 

“You’d better cheer for me then.”

 

 

It was 2:00 in the afternoon when Shin Hye told Kyuhyun that she was already leaving for work.

 

“Why so early?” he asked as he was heading downstairs.

 

“Uhm, because we still have to rehearse, so they told me to be there three hours before Sukira opens,” she said as she took her bag and the paper bag containing the dress she bought yesterday with Kyuhyun.

 

After they had breakfast yesterday, she asked Kyuhyun where the nearest shopping area was. He said that he’ll just accompany her to save time. She was able to buy two low-priced dresses and she still has some money to spend for fare going to work and going home.

 

“Arasso. You need a ride?”

 

“I’ll just take the bus, oppa. Annyeong!” she said smiling, then headed towards the door.

 

Before she could close the door completely, she remembered something. She slightly pushed the door open and popped her head inside.

 

“Oppa, I’ll see you later.” A bright smile was plastered on her face. She was excited to be on stage again.

 

“Of course. Shin Hye-yah, fighting!”

 

“Gomawo, oppa,” she said, then left.

 

 

“Wah, look who’s here,” Geun Suk said when Kyuhyun entered his office.

 

“Is that the proper way of welcoming me?” Kyuhyun asked jokingly.

 

Geun Suk chuckled. “So what brought you here, your highness?” he said as he bowed his head. “Oh wait, let me guess. We have a new singer tonight. Sorry, I didn’t inform you, but I’m sure you already know about it, right?”

 

“Did you do it on purpose?”

 

Geun Suk chuckled. “So she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter