Chapter 9: Dark

Impatients

 Two more weeks trickled by as Hyesung's road to recovery continued. Andy, Dongwan and Eric all tried reassuring him of his potential to become independent once again. “The better you get, the sooner you can regain control over your life.” they would say to him whenever a hint of depression showed on his face. However their encouragement was falling on deaf ears.

No one came by during the time. He spent his days in silent contemplation looking up at the evening sky, wishing he could fly freely through the cotton candy mist of clouds. Yet that tempting denial wasn't enough to send him soaring. His wings were weighed down by reality, grounded by the pain it caused him.

Minwoo respectively yet reluctantly kept his distance. It pained them both each time they passed by one another during his visits to see his other friend. Yet both men knew it was necessary until they could calmly talk things over. Never having the opportunity to reconcile, the situation only proved more disheartening with each passing day.

Jun-jin was swamped with work. As a programmer for Samsung his workload was surprisingly balanced. He could always spare the time for Hyesung during lunch or paid days off at a time due to their generous employee benefits. Things suddenly became hectic when black hats tried to access their software and some very valuable secret data. In their failed attempt a lot of information was corrupted or lost. Jun-Jin's department had to work over-time in order to recover the data and put up new firewalls. Needless to say, his presence was scarce.

His sad excuse of a father took all precautions possible to avoid Hyesung, presumably out of embarrassment and maybe even fear. The miserable old man held his mother's wake without him. After hearing the news of her passing from Hyesung. Jun-Jin, despite his chaotic schedule, practically begged on his knees to go in his stead, to which the man complied. As if there wasn't already a mound of salt in his wounds, he even went as far as actually going through with officially disowning him. He released the hold on his job at the clinic and sent his belongings to Jun-Jin who rented a storage room for him. Mr. Shin senior only called once and informed him of his mother's burial site. That direct, formal, disconnected 2 minute long phone conversation would probably be the last of any the two would ever have.

Broken, homeless, jobless and alone: Hyesung couldn't figure out what was worse. He wished the pain he experienced fresh from the accident returned. That, at least, could be remedied. There were pills and therapy for that. With this, however, no amount of sleep or denial could offload the weight in his chest. Even his prayers felt unheard. He was at his limit. What could he do now?