Chapter 4: An Aquainted Guy

Impatients

Doctors make their rounds pretty early in the morning and Hyesung was not a morning person. Cranky he looked at the time on his cell phone: 9:45am.

“Eeeish!” He cursed.

Despite his encouragement from Junjin's note and Andy's food, he felt reluctant to get ready for therapy. It was just too early. There was barely enough time to wash and change, but with assistance from a CNA he was able to spare the time to actually go eat the food before his therapy session at 11. With crutches under his arms suited to his above average height he carried the container in a plastic bag Jin left.

Holding it loosely in his hand while making his way down the hallway he'd made it half of the 20 foot distance to the pantry. He could feel his stomach rumble with anticipation as he drew near the open door hearing a rising commotion from the eating area of the wide recreational space.

Too early to be so energetic. Just gotta heat up my food and-

With a sudden and hard thud, as if in slow motion, Hyesung watched helplessly as the bag in his hands flew into the air. Hitting the ground hard on his back he felt a heavy weight on top of him. He yelped on impact and almost ignoring the pain cursed out in anger.

“Ya! You! What are you doing?!”

Glaring at the man who had crashed into him without consideration, Hyesung's eyes met with his as he looked up from the awkward position atop his chest. Squinting in pain he slowly rose to his knees. The hallway light from above shone brightly behind the outline of his dark brown head full of shoulder-length layered hair that swept perfectly to the side across his forehead. He quickly rose to his feet and extended his hand towards Hyesung.

“I'm sorry. Are you okay. Can you get up?” asked the stranger consecutively with a worried look on his face. “Here let me-”

“Don't touch me!” snapped Hyesung slapping his hand away. “I don't need your help!”

Sadly he drew his hand back and watched as he took so much effort to rise from the ground with the crutches at his side. Waiting the whole time he let out a relieved sigh and smiled to which Hyesung scowled.

“I'm really very sorry.” he said sincerely, bowing 90 degrees as Hyesung wiped dirt off his clothes. Looking pass him at the floor he was shocked to see his precious meal splattered and ruined. Noticing this the stranger was even more embarrassed and apologetic, bowing again and again.

“I can't apologize enough. Please let me repay you, or something.”

“That was my breakfast.” Hyesung said coldly staring the short man down with murderous intent. “What were you even thinking? What were you doing? What kind of fool are you?”

“Well...” he laughed awkwardly trying to shake his fear of the taller man. “I'm visiting a friend. We were goofing off a little, and, stuff?”

It felt as if the whole building had grown dark. Hyesung was far beyond consoling. A striking chill went down his back and he dropped down to his knees, groveling and bowing as low as he could as if begging a deity not to strike him down. This foolish display only further angered him.

“The hell are you-?”

“My name is Lee Minwoo!” he blurted out. “I work at a jewelry store. I live in a small apartment in downtown Seoul. My number, address, email, date of birth: anything! Just say the word. I'm in your debt!”

He was desperately begging at this point. The situation had drawn a crowd as people looked on at the dramatic scene. At the limit of his very low tolerance, Hyesung looked around embarrassed then back down at the short man whose hands were up in prayer.

“Ya,” he hissed lowly. “Get up. Have you no sense of dignity?”

I think so. Minwoo confessed bashfully grinning.

“Eeish!” Hyesung cursed making a fist. “Just get up.”

“Ah, ok.” he said obediently following Hyesung back to his room.

Slamming the door shut behind him he hobbled across the floor to the window and pressed his head against the cold window, bringing a little relief to his growing migraine. Minwoo sighed and slowly crept over.

“Um....”

“What?!” he yelled angrily.

“I know we just met and all, but I try my best to keep my word.” Minwoo was speaking with a serious and intense tone now. Without turning Hyesung listened tentatively to his plea. “ I really meant it when I said I would try to make it up to you. If I have to visit you every day after work, run errands for you, spend my days off volunteering, anything. I will make it up to you. You were hurt because of my carelessness, and the food your wife so lovingly prepared-”

Hyesung snorted and burst out into laughter.. Minwoo looked on unsure of how to react when he turned around and sighed after relieving his momentary hysteria.

“My wife didn't make that. I'm unmarried.”

“Oh, uhm, all the same.” he blushed, shyly looking away from Hyesung.

“Yeah.” he sighed.

They stood quietly for a moment. Hyesung's rage was diluted in his laughter, thinking of how hard Jin would have laughed if he'd heard Minwoo's comment. Minwoo struggled against his urge to stare at Hyesung, It wasn't until he laughed that he'd noticed how beautiful the man was. Perhaps it was rude or offensive to think a man as “beautiful” but he couldn't help the thought as he stood with his back against the clear blue sky. Thin rays of the morning sun beamed into the room, streaking parts of his long straight hair with highlights that made him seem beyond radiant.

“Hey....” Minwoo began shyly.

“Yea?” he replied dryly with his head cocked to the side.

“What is your name?” he asked politely.

“Hyesung...Shin Hyesung.” he replied.

“”Hyesung...ssi...I'll start today.” he said with determination. “I'll buy you lunch, and if you don't mind I'll come by whenever I have the time. If you'll let me.”

Reading his expression Hyesung could see his sincerity, but did he want to bother with such a reckless guy? Pondering his choices he came to the conclusion that he had nothing else to do. Maybe if he could have more to occupy his time things wouldn't get to him as much. Maybe even for a little while. He took a deep breath in and out and grabbed his crutches. Walking away in silence he headed towards the door pass Minwoo who stood firmly in his place.

“Fine.” he finally said reluctantly. “You better bring something good. I haven't eaten all day thanks to you. I gotta go to PT now so just stay out of my room til then.”

Minwoo's heart almost jumped out of his chest. Not being the type to abandon his responsibility to others he felt so much relief being given the chance to make up for what he'd done. On top of that, he was overjoyed being given the opportunity to get to know Hyesung a little better. He turned to Hyesung who looked at him oddly observing his sudden surge of enthusiasm. Minwoo grinned.

“Don't worry. I'll bring you something good.” he promised and dashed out of the room disappearing down the hallway.

Hyesung sighed deeply and shook his head.

What did I just get myself into?