CHAPTER 13: I Want

Impatients

 A faded streak of purple painted a misty line through the deep blue sky as the orange aura of the sun retreated in the distance. Night was coming, frustration was at it's peak, and a week of reflection did no more for Hyesung than this beautiful sunset did. That familiar feeling crept into him: defeat.

This scene is too familiar. he thought, laughing at himself. Am I really this pathetic?

Andy's reassuring words softened his sorrows. Dongwan's strong push moved him forward with every step. Eric's childish and innocent attempts to cheer him up stirred within him an unbound joy. Jin's comforting aura surrounded him with an unwavering sense of security. Minwoo's smile moved his heart without explanation or reason. Was he really so co-dependent on these five men now? Did he even exist before they came into his life? A puppet for his father who only lived to realize his selfish ambitions. An obedient child who simply didn't want the suffering of the one who gave birth to him. Simply living, eating, sleeping, and waking up to live through others once again. He was a phantom and he wanted to feel real: finally.

I can't live like this anymore. I'm the only one who can change it. I'm the one who has to make a decision.

Hyesung moved from the window over to his nightstand where his phone sat charging. Practically ripping the chord out he picked it up, sliding his fingers across the screen waking it up and going to the home screen. In his contacts he found Minwoo and proceeded to tap the message icon and compose. It simply read “Come over tonight. We need to talk”. He was betting on Minwoo's puppy-like tendencies, expecting that he'd come running without question. Dismissing the possibility of failure, he laid the device back down and went into the bathroom to take a shower.

Some hours flew by and it was roughly ten o'clock. Minwoo's heart danced in his chest as he walked towards the end of the hallway to Hyesung's room. Palms sweaty he inhaled and exhaled to calm himself.

Come over tonight.”

Suddenly Minwoo felt hesitant. His feet slowed from a rushed jog to a steady stride. The door at the end of the hallway seemed more menacing now that he was actually here.

We need to talk.”

Those words were never a good sign, no matter where they came from. Fear slithered into his brain. Speculation born from doubt followed and he stopped in his tracks.

What does this mean? Have I annoyed him again? Should I not have helped him last time?

His heart sank at the next thought surfaced.

Maybe...maybe i'm just convenient cause Jin hasn't been here in a while.

He forced the thoughts from the front of his mind and dug deep to rediscover his hapless optimism to cover it in hopeful denial once again.

I'm thinking too much into this. He reassured himself confidently. If he's starting to rely on me more then that's good. I can do that much for him. If that's all he wants from me, it'll have to be good enough.

Minwoo cleared his throat and once again reclaimed his happy-go-lucky disposition before entering the room. A yellow haze highlighted the side of the bed where Hyesung sat while the rest of the space was left in a chilling darkness. His slender back was to him, hunched over until he reacted to Minwoo's footsteps. The taller man straightened his posture and turned his head. He gestured for him to come sit but it was difficult to read his expression even with the lamp highlighting part of his face. Minwoo crept over cautiously and sat down, leaving a fair distance between them.

So....” he began trying to hide his nerves. “It's a little late. Did something serious happen?”

You could say that.” answered the pretty boy shrouded in mystery.

Closer now, it was difficult to ignore the tempting sight of him. Baggy checkered slacks that fell comfortably on his slender thighs. A loose half-buttoned white shirt that barely covered his chest and the fresh scent of lavender coming off his pale skin. His long brown hair matted against his cheek as if it was stuck to his skin. Minwoo could feel his resolve wavering again, the one reminding him that he came over just to be a friend.

This must be a test or something. Minwoo deduced, struggling to not fixate on the other man. I can't think like this.

Does it have something to do with your father again?”

No. He's irrelevant. This has nothing to do with that kind of thing.” explained Hyesung. “Minoo-ssi...this is about us

What about...us?” he asked cautiously.

Why do you like me?”

Blunt and to the point, as expected of such a critical man. Minwoo wasn't caught off guard by the inquiry. He already settled in his mind a long time ago that this question would need to be answered one day.

I guess...it's obvious how attracted I am to you,” Minwoo confessed shamelessly.“I swear though, it's more than that.

Hyesung folded his arms and patiently listened.

There's something about you.” Minwoo continued sincerely. “Something that's shielded, like it's impossible to get close, But when I do I start to see the you that you hide from everyone. I wanna hold that Hyesung in my arms and be the only one he smiles at. I wanna be-”

Upon realizing his own hapless ramblings Minwoo stopped himself. Turning his head away he was at a loss for words. He racked his brain trying to recover as much of his pride as he possibly could. Suddenly he could hear a low chuckle escape from Hyesung. He turned back and the man was shaking his head, presumably amused or offended by his words. Minwoo laughed awkwardly.

That's...ridiculous huh.” he smiled reluctantly.

I don't need this.” replied Hyesung, his voice indifferent and relentless.

He doesn't need me.

The words pierced through Minwoo's mind like a white noise and his smile faded. He wasn't strong enough to ignore the pain in his chest. Silently he rose from the bed and began to walk away when he suddenly felt a hand grab his wrist. He turned surprised and even more so by the expression on Hyesung's face. It was clear now in that soft yellow light that he was serious, and waiting.

That fantastical explanation is no good. I need you to show me.”