Chapter 16: Problem Solver

Impatients

The ticking of the clock echoed in the silence. The office was a small cramped room with barely enough space for the large tin desk that stretched across the middle of it. Yet somehow, Eric, Hyesung and the social worker Mr. Park handling his case were packed together exchanging glances. The older gentleman propped his elbows up on the desk and folded his hands, leaning his forehead against them. After another moment of awkward silence he cleared his throat and shot a fierce glare at Eric, who shrunk back and threw his hands up.

Don't you have anything else to do Dr. Mun?” he hissed.

No. No I don't.” Eric said proudly folding his arms with confidence.

Hyesung cupped his chin in his palm and rested his elbow on the arm of his chair. He released an exhausted sigh and closed his eyes. He really did appreciate Eric for going above and beyond. He was supposed to be released a week ago but having no home really puts a damper on things. Rehabilitation centers and hospitals are liable for patients, so they cannot release them without a residence.

That's where Eric came in, going above and beyond the duties of the actual social worker to help him out. His efforts, however, had drawn unwanted attention to him. He was practically branded now. Doing so much out of the bounds of a normal doctor-patient relationship is too informal, too personal. People talk. Rumors spread. Then again, this is Eric. Surely they didn't expect such a 4-dimensional person to approach things “normally”?

Eric flashed him a cheeky grin and he turned his face away.

Too cute. I wonder what face he's making. The giddy doctor pondered while staring a hole through the back of the pretty boy's head.

The counselor cleared his throat to draw their attention.

Well, regardless. “ Mr. Park continued. “Your generous offer is unacceptable. It's simply too...too....”

While searching for words he was met with strikingly serious eyes. Eric was waiting for his excuse. If not that then he knew what was coming. One of the few words in their breif 3 years of working together to describe anything he ever did.

...suspicious.”

Oh?” he replied in a demented way. He leaned forward, unraveling his arms and folding his hands under his chin. “Really? Is it really that unfathomable for a doctor to help his patient? How is he supposed to heal on the streets? What's the point of this rehab if we can't even do that much for people?”

Hyesung sank a little in his seat with a mixed feeling of embarrassment and humility. He felt like a middle school kid who got unfairly punished by his teacher being defended by an overprotective mom.

I've told you this before.” the man retorted. “We are not a shelter. His insurance company won't stand for this. We also cannot condone any elicit relationships at this center. What you do in your own time has nothing to do with our policies.”

Meo?!” the doctor snapped angrily.

Okay!” Hyesung shouted abruptly rising from his seat. Both men stared.

Now, let me talk.” he demanded impatiently, surprising them both. He moved closer to the desk and slammed his hands on the cold surface, staring down the startled man on the other side.

I'll forever be grateful to Dr. Mun. Even going so far as to offer his own home. He's a rare human being to burden himself for the sake of a stranger. He is an exemplary doctor that is irreplaceable. You're lucky to have him.”

Turning to Eric he bowed a full 90 degrees.

Hyesung-ssi..” Eric gasped, touched by the bold heartfelt acknowledgment.

Thank you,” he announced in formal Korean. “I am honored to be in your care, but I cannot accept your generosity.”

He lifted his head and placed a hand on his shoulder, smiling.

You had a job to do and you did it.” Hyesung remarked speaking casually again. “Now, don't be my doctor but be my friend. Let me solve this on my own.”

Quietly he studied Hyesung's face and saw his determination.

Friend.” he smiled warmly, repeating the word with admiration. “Yea, I can do that. I got ya back.”

Thanks. I'll figure something out.” He turned back to the social worker. “Thank you for all your efforts. Goodbye.”

Hyesung's hand slipped off of Eric's coat and he left the room without turning back to read their expressions. It really didn't matter. His mind was made up. The last thing he needed was for a good friend like Eric to lose his license by crossing a line, or to be the reason for the crossing. He didn't know what to do but he'd figure it out. That Hyesung that was content with recoiling behind walls was gone now. He could solve his own problems now...somehow...