Chapter 6: Let It Go

Impatients

 Kimbap, mandugook, jjajangmyun, nakji bokkeum, ddeokbokki, kimchi, bean sprout soup, and .....Hyesung stared in awe from his bed as Minwoo gestured his friend to lay out the carefully contained dishes atop the table. He thanked the man and shared a bro hug before he departed and then sat with Hyesung whilst laying Tupperware before him.

“Please, enjoy.” he said politely placing chopsticks and a bowl in front of him.

“This is, a bit much...” he replied shyly eyeing the dishes in all their aromatic splendor. “You didn't have to do all of this. Not to this extent...”

Minwoo studied his expression. So cute. As he stared Hyesung's head was bowed lightly and the angered man he met earlier that day practically vanished behind the veil of the fragile flower who sat across from him. Bashful, nervous and receding: he was even prettier than he first thought.

“It's not a big deal.” Minwoo smiled warmly. “It's the least I could do. Besides, you probably didn't eat if your girlfriend's meal got ruined.”

“Ya, cut that out!” Hyesung snapped while blushing. “He is not my girlfriend!”

“He?” Minwoo raised a brow.

A knocking at the door directed their attention away from the conversation.

“”Come in.” permitted Hyesung, relieved at the momentary distraction, just to be met with the source of the problem. Andy walked in greeting him with a small wave and his medication, along with his care-free friend Jun-Jin.

“Oh, you have a guest already.” Andy observed feeling relieved that more than Jin had come to see him.

“Who is....” Jin began not wanting to sound rude yet perplexed enough by the stranger's presence to ask. He knew all of Hyesung's inner circle, (and it wasn't a very big one), with himself at its center. If the man was a friend, then he would know it. Having only left the night before, the situation was too vexing. Minwoo stood up and bowed respectfully towards the two men.

Hyesung huffed.

“This is a new acquaintance of mine.”

“Acquaintance...?” Jun-Jin murmured studying the shorter man,

“My name is Lee Minwoo.” he announced with perfect manners. “Nice to meet you.”

“Yes, the same. My name is Park Choong-jae. I am a close friend of Hyesung's.”

“Ah, ye.” replied Minwoo.

“Jinnie-ya, apparently Andy is my girlfriend.” Hyesung joked nonchalantly.

“What?” he coughed surprised in response staring at Andy who was just as confused.

“Andy-ssi, this is the man I mentioned from this morning.” he informed.

“Ah.....oh, that.” he said with clarity then chuckled. “I see.”

“What?” asked Jun-Jin feeling left out of the puzzle that seemed to have been solved.

“It's a long story.” sighed Hyesung rolling his eyes.

“I think I've seen you here before. Not sure.” Andy remarked trying to recall when or where.

“Maybe?” he replied folding his arms and putting a finger to his chin thinking on it. “I don't come by too often but I do have a friend recovering here.”

“Ah really? Well, my name is Andy, Andy Lee. As a nurse I will try my best to keep them healthy.”

“Ah ye, thank you.” Minwoo said gratefully adding a little bow. “Also, it seems I got the wrong idea about the meal from earlier. I feel sorry to you as well as Hyesung-ssi.”

“No, not a problem.” Andy laughed warmly. “I said this to him earlier, but it's alright. I don't mind such a thing. Choong-jae-ssi at least had some and enjoyed it so I am happy enough with that. It's really not a big deal.”

“If you say so...” Minwoo trailed off. Andy smiled, like he always did and after giving Hyesung his meds, he excused himself to see to his other patients.

“Jinnie-ya, Minoo-ssi....” Hyesung called out suddenly and the men turned to him. “Sit down and help me eat all of this.”

“Ah ye.” responded Minwoo obediently returning to his seat.

“So...” began Jun-Jin as he also took a seat at the table without touching a thing. “....what's all of this about a girlfriend and food?”

Hyesung and Minwoo exchanged glances, one twisted with anger trying to resist a bit of laughter and the other embarrassed and slightly afraid. The taller man huffed and began recalling the situation with dramatic emphasis. Minwoo didn't seem to mind but instead was amused with his style of story-telling.

Jun-Jin, however, was not. He listened tentatively while studying Minwoo's expressions. It was hard enough to accept that his friend was okay with the stranger, after having such an unpleasant encounter. Something about Minwoo's obedience put him on edge. Watching Hyesung's theatrical retelling of their story, grinning whenever he said his name, hanging on every word. It made him second guess his real intentions.

“So, you plan to take responsibility?” he questioned bluntly.

“Yes.” replied the short one. “If I have to bring him lunch everyday until he forgives me. I will.”

“Is that so?”

Hyesung looked at his friend, having detected his guard being put up. He knew his over-protective nature, and given the circumstances knew where it came from. He was surprised at himself for conceding to Minwoo's frivolous show of apology. Of course he'd expect him to be as well. Moreover, he was pushy, insistent, and it was enough to make anyone at least a little bit wary. Was it just his way of showing his sincerity? Or was it something else?

Jun-Jin continued to grill Minwoo, who became uneasy under the pressure and looked to Hyesung for relief. Hyesung coughed.

“Could you give me and my friend a minute alone please?”
He looked at him warily.

“Ah, sure.” smiled Minwoo. “I have to go to the restroom anyway. Excuse me.”

He made his way out the room, pulling the door shut behind him. Jun-Jin folded his arms and leaned back in his seat.

“He's a funny guy.” he said nonchalantly.

“Ya, Jinnie-ya.”

“I'm not trying to be ungrateful,” Jun-Jin interrupted before Hyesung could say anything else. “but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. What possessed you to let that guy come in here like this? It's strange for you to let your guard down.”

“I know.” sighed Hyesung. “But I'm starting to think that's part of why I'm not getting any better.”

Jin frowned.

“What do you mean?” he asked, concerned.

“The other day, you sat here with me, comforted me.” began Hyesung while reflecting. “It occurred to me that maybe I rely on you too much. Maybe crashing into Minwoo was a sign that I need to let someone else in. I don't wanna burden you with me all the time.”

“Ya Shin Hyesung.” snapped Jin, who leaned forward and lightly laid his hand on top of his fragile friend's. Hyesung jumped a little, surprised by the sudden action.

“You are never a burden.”

Jun-Jin was looking in his eyes when he said it. His face, stern and absolute in what he spoke. The touch of his hand brought back the warmth of his arms once again. Hyesung blushed and drew his hand back. Jin slowly pulled his hand away and let it slide off the edge of the table then sighed deeply.

“I can be a bit overbearing huh.” Jun-Jin confessed modestly.

“A little.” smirked Hyesung. “But I get it. Thank you, and don't worry. Minwoo really does seem like a sincere person.”

“Maybe.” his friend rolled his eyes and folded his arms again. “I'll join you for lunch when I can, and I'll see for myself.”

“Ya! Jinnie-ya!” snapped Hyesung. “Didn't you hear me? I'm a man too. I can look out for myself.”

“Yea sure.” he snorted.

Hyesung scowled and reached over to hit him, which felt like nothing. That was his childish way of conceding. Jun-Jin grinned knowing the signs of his defeat. So childish. So cute. How could anyone help but ? Minwoo returned after taking his precious time stalling for an opening. Coming into the room, Jun-Jin's laughter and Hyesung's playful anger gave him the assurance he needed. Whatever suspicion Jin had earlier died down a little as they got to know him better. He really seemed like a good guy, but he decided to watch him closely regardless. He felt willing, especially if it meant there was another reason to make Hyesung smile. It was gonna be okay: for now.