Chapter 15: Throw My Fist

Impatients

Halfway down the hallway the brave smile Minwoo had shown to Hyesung faded. His footsteps practically echoed, blending in with the lone rhythm of IV machines going off in random rooms. He rustled a hand through his hair and cursed lowly. Cursing his weak resolve, cursing his own attached nature, even cursing those damned machines.

Passing the nurses station he received a puzzling look from the woman sitting there. Her tag read “Shin-yeong” and her sandy blond hair dressed her bare arm as she leaned into her palm sleepily staring at him. It was definitely too soon after the drama he faced and too late at night to be hit on. Sure, she was cute, but not his type. He did recall seeing her around some nights before when Dong-wook was still admitted. Not once did she give him a second glance, so perhaps that wasn't it. His eyes met hers and he gave a small bow and smiled.

Hm.” she mumbled aloud. “Interesting...”

Excuse me..?” Minwoo asked cautiously.

Oh, I'm sorry.” she smiled wearily. “It's nothing. I was just thinking of a drama I just saw. Sorry for my rudeness.”

No, it's fine.” he replied. “Goodnight then.”

Ye. Goodnight.” she said sweetly with a small wave.

Weird. He thought and shrugged it off.

Turning the corner Minwoo walked into the dim empty space where four elevators faced each other. Yawning he pressed a down button and listened to the low hum of the machine as it made it's way from the ground floor. A sharp ding disrupted the silence and the silver doors slid open.

You.” he heard in an unpleasantly familiar voice.

Jun-jin was standing before him with a stone cold expression. Taking a step forward he stopped the elevator from closing in on him and brought his face inches away from Minwoo. Ignoring him, Minwoo stepped aside but an arm stretched out in front of him. He huffed and glared at the other man.

I think it's time we talked.” Jin insisted.

Minwoo rolled his eyes and pushed pass him moving into the elevator. Jin smirked letting his arm fall and stepped in as well, staring the shorter man down as the doors closed behind them. Minwoo leaned against the wall with his arms folded avoiding eye contact. Jin folded his arms as well. The elevator hummed again as it began to descend.

Here I thought I was just being paranoid. This confirms things.”

I have nothing to say.” Minwoo remarked calmly.

Wow. The balls on this one.” mocked Jin. “Not even denying it? I knew we couldn't trust you.”

We?” laughed Minwoo. “Look, Choong-jae-ssi, anything I had to do with this drama was resolved with Hyesung. I'm not obligated to tell you anything.”

They felt a sudden tremor and the elevator screeched to a stop rumbling heavily as it settled in its place. The tension subsided slightly as they both relaxed their postures and looked around.

Passengers, can you hear me?” came the static voice of a man from the speaker in the corner. It was a transmission from who they both presumed to be a security guard.

Ye.” replied Minwoo warily eyeballing Jin.

That was the maintenance team working on the elevator.” the man informed then. “Usually visitors are all but gone and few staff are here so we didn't expect anyone to be in there. Don't worry though. We will get you out of there soon.”

More static could be heard until the transmission ended. Jun-Jin loosened his tie and put his hands on his hips. Minwoo slid down to the floor and threw his head bang against the wall. He sighed aloud.

This is too funny.” he laughed crazily. “Could this night get any better?”

So...” Jin started in a solemn voice, cautious and afraid. “..with Hyesung.....you-”

Hyesung and I confirmed our feelings for each other.”

The words shot through Jun-Jin's chest like a bullet. Direct and powerful he stumbled back against the door losing his stability. Minwoo's smile faded as he watched the other man glide to the floor. He arched his back holding his head. It was hard to believe hat he would show such weakness in front of him.

Following the small satisfaction of victory was guilt. What's worse, the feeling was all too familiar. He knew the truth was not as bad as he implied. He wasn't petty enough to keep hurting someone with a lie. Not Jun-jin. Not Hyesung. Not himself.

Eeish!” cursed Minwoo. “You give up too easily. Where is your faith?”

Jin slowly rose his head.

What?” was all he could muster as a reaction. The man across from him grinned.

Don't you know our precious Hyesung better than that? I'm disappointed.” Minwoo insisted nonchalantly. “You think that kind of guy would do that sort of thing in a hospital? For shame.”

The elevator shook again before finally moving. Within a minute they were down to the ground floor. Jin stood up bewildered unable to find his words. Minwoo shook his head and stood up dusting off the back of his pants. Walking to the elevator entrance he glanced at Jin and put a hand on his shoulder.

Congratulations.” he announced taking his hand away. “You rescued the princess from his castle long before I even got to the mote.”

A lingering sadness dripped from his words but by the time the message translated completely in Jin's mind Minwoo was already gone. He ran out of the elevator after him but he'd disappeared completely from the lobby. He exhaled as his heart started to race. Did Hyesung really choose him? Was he imagining things again? No. This was real. He only needed to confirm it.

His exhilaration became clouded with guilt. Was he too hard on Minwoo? What did he want to accomplish by confronting him?

Hyesung and I confirmed our feelings for each other.”

Maybe Minwoo was just as panicked and confused as he was. He caame here in worked up hoping for something but was rejected. He could have hit him. He could have lashed out. He could have...but didn't.

Damn that guy. He cursed in his mind. Why did he just...?

Jun-jin sighed and shook his head. Minwoo really wasn't such a bad guy after all, grinning and bearing it for the sake of Hyesung's happiness. Admittedly, that was exactly what he himself was preparing to do. With that in mind he could tolerate his presence, and furthermore owed him an apology. That would be saved for next time if there would be one.

He turned back and stared at the closed elevator doors. Hyesung's face popped into his mind. He was probably collecting himself now. Probably too tired for any more drama. He'd have to wait. Knowing he'd been given that chance he was willing to, at least for a day or two. He left the rehab silently excited, unsure if he could even bring himself to go to work the next day.