Chapter 8: Honesty

Impatients

 Hyesung fell back into his chair, his arms falling at his sides powerlessly as tears dripped off his chin. Minwoo still held his hand, staring at him remorsefully not knowing what to say to console him.

“It's funny.” Hyesung laughed. “This felt like some scene from a drama.”

Minwoo listened as he vented.

“Ah, well, I didn't like him much anyway.” he lied painfully faking confidence. “No father pressing me to become his shadow? No mother telling me to fight against it when I can't? Good. Good...” He was hysterical in the madness of it all, trying to smile through the tears in front of a friend. What was the point of such pride? He was practically screaming for help and it was impossible to hide. Impossible to resist.

“Hyesung-ssi.” Minwoo said in a hushed voice.

“What?”

Minwoo let his frail hand slip from his grasp and cupped Hyesung's damp face in his hands. They felt so warm and unexpectedly strong it shocked the taller man. That dead feeling drowning in denial from a moment ago slipped away as his mind became preoccupied by the man in front of him. He peered up and their eyes met as Minwoo's breath touched his skin.

“That man doesn't see what I see. How could he?” he said in a serious voice. “You're beautiful.”

Hyesung's thoughts stirred as Minwoo closed his eyes while lifting his face, slowly bringing his him closer. His mind was a mess with everything that happened but became focused on Minwoo's as their lips touched. Surprised and irritated, Hyesung pushed him away, causing him to stumble barely losing his footing.

“Wh-what are you doing?” he questioned bashfully.

“I'm sorry.” Minwoo apologized. “You just looked so sad and I couldn't think of anything else.”

“The hell do you mean by that?!” he cursed angrily.

“I like you!” confessed the shorter man.

He was taken aback by his words as they became one more thing on a pile of clutter in his head. Like? How? Why? In the time he got to know the man, he'd become aware of his affectionate tendencies. Playfully teasing him all the time, he didn't think anything of it. Despite his disdain for the invasion of his personal space he'd gotten used to it. This was different. This was serious. Intense.

“You were upset so I wanted to comfort you.” he continued. “You don't deserve what he said to you and you have the right to get mad about it. No father should ever speak that way about his son. And your mom-”

“Get out.” growled Hyesung.

“Hyesung-ss-”

“I said get out!”

Minwoo obeyed in silence, his heart sinking as he left Hyesung alone, regretting his honesty. What was he thinking? Was he thinking at all? He knew the answer and was ashamed of it. His rejection felt like a knife in his chest, painful and slowly striking at him with every step as he walked away. What scared him wasn't the hurt in his voice, or the anger in his eyes, but the possibility that Hyesung would never look his way again.

Hyesung sank in his chair. The news of his mother delivered in such a way was simply mortifying. His father's words struck his temples with throbbing pain. He looked around, feeling as though his room suddenly became so vast and cold. He sighed while rising from his seat. There was too to think about. What arrangements would that old man make? Would he have the decency to honor her more in death than in life? Where would he go once he recovers now that things were so messy?

I wanted to comfort you.....I like you”

He clinched his teeth as Minwoo's words swam about in his head.

What kind of joke was that? Comfort? He took advantage of me. How could he?

He felt himself lying. His knew his words were spoken with sincerity, as they always were. He was the affectionate type after all, so why was this so surprising? He played around often, calling him a pretty boy, making him mad and laughing at his reaction. Maybe he was trying to cheer him up, maybe...

But his kiss was...

“I like you.”

Hyesung clenched his hand and shook in anger. How could he do that? After giving him the chance to prove his sincerity, even letting himself be seen in a bad state. Jun-Jin was right. He wasn't the type to let his guard down easily, and Minwoo reminded him of why. He closed his eyes and exhaled. Why was he so mad? Was it because Minwoo, someone who he grew to think of as a friend, was bold enough to do such a thing? Or was he mad at himself for enabling him? Either way it was decided now not to see him, at least for a while. Surely Minwoo got the hint when he snapped. Right now, there were too many things to think about, and he, was not one of them.