Chapter 1

Magnetic Girl

I am leaning in our car watching my family gather all our things that needs to be loaded in the tow truck that my father rented to bring our belongings to our new home. Yes – for the last two years, my family and I had been moving from different places. It’s not because we are poor and we have no money to rent or buy house or something but my dad’s work requires travelling to other locations – thus we need to move frequently and the day of moving out is “unfortunately” today. Scale from 1-10, how lucky can I get? It’s not that I’m complaining about our situation but its’ because I’m sick and tired of moving to other places, It gets tiring when you already settled in your environment, when you already adapts everything, you already have friends and you are quite comfortable in this place. Now that we are going to another place, I need to blend in and do all this get-comfortable-to-new-surrounding-feeling again. I am 19 years old for god’s sake I need to live life a little bit more! My father is an engineer from a top company. His boss trusted him so much to the extent that he gives almost (if not all) a lot of projects to my dad. So let’s stop talking about my dad here because this is not his story to tell. I exhale.

I picked up my duffel bag and loaded it to the back of our car when suddenly my brother bolted at me “Hey Emma! Don’t stand in my way!” He shouts while going up to sit. He’s only 10 years old but he is already a pain in the a** but I adore him though. “Whatever dude!” I said. My mother who is sitting next to my father said “are you ready sweetheart?”. “Yes” said my brother in all fairness he sounds really excited! “Emma?” my mom peeked at me. “Yes mom” I said boringly. “This is going to be exciting.” She added. My dad started the car’s engine. I’m still looking at our home – used to be our home. I’m leaving everything again. I sighed.

I woke up feeling the vibration of my phone. Oh! We’ve been travelling for 2 hours already. I checked my phone and I’m no longer surprised who is bothering me in this hour. It’s my best friend Amanda “Where are you?”, “Why you do this to me?”, “Why you didn’t tell me you were moving out today?”, “*crying emoji”, “Emma!!!” I read her text. “I’m sorry. I’ll explain everything later. I will call you back. I’ll miss you”. I managed to respond. I wanted to tell Amanda about this but I didn’t because I don’t want both her and me to feel sad about this. I hope she understands. Sighing I looked outside the car. Wait a minute, why are we on the way to airport? I panicked and look at my parents’ way. “Can someone explain to me, why are we heading to the airport?” still looking at their way. My mom peeked at me “Im sorry honey. We supposed to tell you about this earlier but we know you will be against this and we are going to Seoul today.” She said. “Seoul? You mean South Korea? Really? Mom?”. I panicked even more. I feel annoyed they lied to me. “We are sorry sweetie, but you know well how my job is.” My dad said. I’m no longer answering and still mad about the fact that they lied to me. “Everything is settled, our passport, visa, and our house there. Everything is fine” My mom sound very excited than my brother 2 hours ago. And it annoyed me even more. “We already found a school for you and your brother there.” She said.
“It’s an international school so you don’t need to worry about how you will communicate there. They use mostly English there I heard.” She added. I can only look away. 

We arrived at the airport. Everything went quickly, the next thing I notice I am now sitting in the plane. I kind of wished I properly said my goodbye to Amanda. If only I knew. I breathe and trying to tell myself to calm down and everything will be okay. I sleep worrying about what is going to happen next.