Shadow of the Day

Sunshine & Shadow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13: Shadow of the Day

"Sometimes beginnings aren't so simple, sometimes goodbye's the only way. And the shadow of the day will embrace the world in grey. And the sun will set for you."

YiXing’s mom was walking along the streets one day; her hands were full with the plastic bags from the supermarket. She didn’t actually plan to buy that many groceries when she left the house but upon reaching the store, she felt like she wanted to buy everything.

YeonAe wasn’t with her as she was busy sorting out her closet when Ms. Zhang told her that she would be out for a while, and turned down YeonAe’s offer to come with her. The girl seemed preoccupied and busy and Ms. Zhang wanted it to stay that way, for now at least. She could see that YeonAe was trying, so she didn’t want to interrupt her moment.

Also, the reason why she bought things more than necessary was that YeonAe’s reducing weight concerned her. She knew that YeonAe didn’t eat properly in this day and age and she wanted to make sure that YeonAe had a proper and balanced diet daily so that she can keep up with school, even though her mind was still a jumbled mess of thoughts.

Thinking about her made Ms. Zhang exhale worriedly. She couldn’t actually blame YeonAe for being how she was right now. She was extremely close to YiXing ever since she was a small kid, and to have him taken away from her forever broke her apart.

YiXing was her first pal, her brother, and later her first love. He’d defended her each time she was bullied, especially regarding where she came from. He made her happy each time she felt down, on every occasion when she thought of her real mother. He taught her how to forgive her parents, and not to live with a chip on her shoulder.

While Ms. Zhang was out working until late in the evening, the two always spent their time together. They did their homework on the rooftop, and sometimes made dinner together for the three of them by the time Ms. Zhang got home. The kitchen may be in a chaos after that, but it was the thought that counted.

In contrast, YeonAe taught YiXing how to appreciate our lives more. He knew how hard it was for her to live in the orphanage, and when she escaped, she was all alone with having nothing to eat sometimes, not even a roof over her head. Wherever her feet stopped for the day, that was her home, and YiXing often teared up upon remembering it.

The both of them couldn’t imagine YeonAe sleeping wherever at night, exposed to danger and unpredictable weather. YeonAe never knew this but Ms. Zhang often saw YiXing cry each time they stumbled into the topic. Therefore, it finally became something they didn’t talk about very often.

She’d hoped that YeonAe would be able to let her pain go, someday. She knew that it would be hard, as it was the same for her as YiXing’s mother. Like YeonAe, she’d also lost the love of her life. To see her child close his eyes for the last time ripped her apart to million pieces.

This was the child she carried for nine months, showering him with lots of love and if she could’ve given him the world, she would. She raised YiXing on her own when her marriage failed. She ran away from where they used to live, just so they could build a new life together and let go of the horrible past. YiXing may not have remembered his father, but she wanted it to stay that way. Some secrets were best buried forever.

It was difficult to make ends meet, in the beginning, and she’d almost given up countless times. It was only because of YiXing that she strived to live, no matter how hard it was, and the table turned when YeonAe came into the picture. Her presence was somewhat like a blessing to their little family, and their lives were stable again.

With a sad smile on her face, Ms. Zhang was lost in the memories of her much-loved son though her feet kept moving towards the direction of her home. Even the bags didn’t feel as heavy anymore as she kept thinking about YiXing, and the good old times their family had.

It was when she was about to turn the corner when a motorcycle appeared out of nowhere, almost knocking her over. Ms. Zhang was extremely taken aback and quickly darted the motorcycle, and while doing so she fell on the ground, with her groceries now scattered all over.

Her hearts was pounding fast against her ribcage as she watched the motorcycle just went away, not even looking back, let alone stop to help her. She shook her head in disbelief, cannot believe that there are still people like this in this world.

She tried to catch her breath, for the event just now kept replaying inside her head, and she could’ve been dead had the motorcycle really knocked her over. Amidst in trying to recover her composure, a hand landed on her shoulder, causing her to jump in shock. A small shriek escaped her lips as she turned around to see who it was.

“I’m sorry, it’s me. I’m TaeHyung. YeonAe’s uh ... friend.” TaeHyung quickly said, raising his hands in a placating gesture, and Ms. Zhang exhaled in relief. “Oh, thank God, it’s you.”

“Are you okay? What happened?” TaeHyung asked, helping Ms. Zhang up. Luckily, she had no injuries and could still make the trip home. Besides, she didn’t want to worry YeonAe. “A rude motorcyclist almost ran me over. Fortunately, I managed to avoid it. He didn’t even stop to apologize.” Ms. Zhang explained, while picking up her groceries with TaeHyung.

Once everything was accounted for, TaeHyung helped Ms. Zhang carry the groceries, and she asked, “By the way, what are you doing around the area, TaeHyung? I thought your house is on the other side?”

“Well, I was actually on my way to your house.” TaeHyung said. “I was thinking of taking YeonAe to see my friends, if that’s okay with you. It might help her occupy her mind for a bit and my friends are actually delighted to meet her. I also thought that it would be good for her to make some new friends.”

Ms. Zhang looked at him gratefully and smiled, “Yes, please take her out. Get her to socialize with people for a change. Each time she gets home from school, all she ever does is stay locked in her room and on the rare occasions would she be in the living room. She needs to start talking to people.”

TaeHyung nodded in agreement. “Well, that’s true.”

“And I can trust that this bunch of friends of yours is not the naughty types, right?” Ms. Zhang asked, looking at TaeHyung with eyes full of protectiveness. “Don’t get me wrong, I trust you, but I am yet to meet your friends.”

TaeHyung laughed. “Don’t worry; I assure you that my friends won’t be a bad influence to her. As far as I’m concerned, I think she would only get irritated being around them because they talk as much as girls do when they’re chatting. They’re quite loud, actually, and a bit childlike for my liking.”

“Well, I’m glad they’re the chatting type.” Ms. Zhang said. “It’s just that YeonAe’s my little girl and she’s all I have left so I guess you’d understand why I worry.”

“I completely do.” TaeHyung said sincerely. “And I’ll keep an eye on her, don’t worry. All of us will.”

“Very well, then. Just come back at six and you have to stay for dinner. I’m not taking a ‘no’ as an answer and no negotiations will be entertained. Am I understood?” 

“Yes, ma’am!”

They kept conversing with each other until they reached Ms. Zhang’s house, with Ms. Zhang mainly asked about how YeonAe was doing at school, and TaeHyung gave her the report. Once they’d put all the bags on the dining table, TaeHyung helped himself with a glass of water while Ms. Zhang went to get YeonAe, who by now had finished sorting out her closet.

“Hey, love, how was the cleaning going?” Ms. Zhang asked as she stood at the doorframe, watching YeonAe as she stared at her phone. “It was okay. I managed to throw some stuff out and I can’t believe I’ve had them for so long since they couldn’t fit me anymore.” YeonAe answered.

Ms. Zhang nodded slowly and carefully began. “TaeHyung’s here, by the way. He wants to take you to see his friends. Go on out, and be back by six.”

YeonAe frowned and looked at Ms. Zhang. “I don’t feel like going.”

“Aww, come on, YeonAe. I think it would be good for you to go out and get some fresh air for a change. You’ve only been at home and hardly go out at all. Besides, TaeHyung took the trouble by coming here just to get you though, and I heard that his friends are eager to see you too.” Ms. Zhang persuaded, making sad faces at the same time. It used to work last time.

“But mom,” YeonAe sighed, “I don’t feel like meeting new people right now. I don’t even know them. I’m fine on my own.”

Ms. Zhang came in and sat beside her on her bed. “You can’t keep avoiding people, you know. Sooner or later, you still have to communicate with others besides me. Let’s just take this as a practice. Also, TaeHyung will be there too.”

She took YeonAe’s hand in hers, and said sadly, “Can’t you do it for me? I feel very sad to see you stay locked in your room. I don’t want you to keep evading the world. I need you to go out there and start living your life. You need to keep moving on, darling, or you’ll miss the train to bigger things in life.”

YeonAe looked at Ms. Zhang and sighed. She pondered her mother’s request and at the same time cannot resist the look Ms. Zhang had on her face. “Stop doing bambi eyes at me, mom.” She said, narrowing her eyes at the older woman. She hated it when Ms. Zhang kept doing that to her, she just simply can’t repel it.

Back in the days, YiXing actually had the willpower to resist it but YeonAe always lost. Ms. Zhang laughed and squeezed her shoulder. “But it works, right? It always works.” YeonAe rolled her eyes and lazily stood up. “Fine, mom. I’m doing this for you. And it’s only because you wanted me to.”

Ms. Zhang clapped her hands happily and planted a kiss on YeonAe’s cheek. “Good girl. Well, try to have fun and be back at six. And also, I invited TaeHyung for dinner, so don’t forget to remind him.” YeonAe nodded and grabbed her purse with her sweater, before heading out her room with Ms. Zhang on tow.

“Are we ready to go?” TaeHyung asked, standing up from the chair at the dining table. YeonAe lightly shrugged and looked at Ms. Zhang, “I guess so.” Ms. Zhang beamed and pushed the two of them out the door.

“Remember, be back at six and stay for dinner, TaeHyung! I’m not expecting excuses!” She reminded, or somewhat yelled, and YeonAe groaned in embarrassment. “You heard her. I suggest you to not disappoint her or you won’t hear the end of it.”

TaeHyung chuckled and raised his hands in surrender. “Not planning to.”

The two of them walked in silence all the way towards YoonGi’s house, where TaeHyung and his friends will be meeting up that day. TaeHyung told her all about his friends, and how he assured her that they were good lads and noisy like girls. Even though YeonAe never replied to anything he said he knew that she was paying attention, and kept ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter