Chapter 8

Silent Sniper

There was no sound heard within the all five of them when they had dinner. Silent aroused the round table. Junjin seemed to gain back his energy and spirit since Andy’s death when he had his second plates of his ‘delicious’ meal. Dongwan as usual had his caring-eye on Junjin and sometimes was glaring suspiciously at Eric. He still had a thought that Eric might be Hyesung's killer. Eric on his side just kept his head down throughout the whole dinner.

I assumed he had something to do with Hyesung’s death. Minwoo sitting next to me remained silent. I don’t know where the hell the doctor and Jihoon were but did not dare to ask anyone at this moment.

 

“Eric.” Dongwan broke the silent.

Eric looked up. Everyone was now paying attention to what Dongwan had to say.

“If you aren’t the one who pushed Hyesung down, why don't you tell us the real story? To make us believe you.” Junjin nodded.

Eric shut his eyes before asking.,“What do you want to know?”

Dongwan said, “Everything. But not the part.”

Eric chuckled. “We fought.”

“Why?” Asked Dongwan.

Eric continued after a deep breath. “He found out. He found out that I was..I was trying to get Minwoo back. I know I’m an but... but I didn’t expect this might happen. I slapped him when he tried to throw out the ring I gave Minwoo when we were together. I punched him too... when he said... he said Minwoo’s the one who killed Andy.”

Everyone’s eyes focused on Eric.

“So did you really push him?” Asked Dongwan.

“No. I didn't.”

“He killed himself?” Junjin turned to ask.

“I’m not sure. But I don’t think so. Hyesung is not like that. He wouldn't do something like that.” Eric backed up.

“But who knows?” Dongwan shrugged.

“I guess someone was planning something behind us. Before our fight, I saw Hyesung holding a letter in his hand but I didn’t see what was written inside. The letter went missing when I ran down to the basement. I guess this had to do with Andy’s death too.” Eric assumed.

“See. I’m right. Andy also would never commit suicide.” Junjin suddenly talked.

“At first I suspected it was the doctor and you, Kim Dongwan. But when I look back, there’s no reason for you to kill Andy and make it look like a suicide.” Eric explained.

“I was with Doctor Ki when Andy was killed.” Dongwan said. “How about Jihoon? No one's suspecting him? I wonder too why he chose us to join his bloody hell camping.”He continued.

“Right now he was the only person I can target but we didn’t have any prove of his weird act or violence.” Eric said. I chuckled suddenly. The kitchen incident played in my head.

“Minwoo?” Junjin glared at Minwoo.

He was still suspecting Minwoo to be Andy's killer. Everyone’s eyes were on Minwoo now. Minwoo sighed and got up from his seat before leaving the table.

“He looks suspicious too.” Junjin continued, still looking at Minwoo’s figure leaving the main hall.

 

           

       I left the main hall with a heavy breath. Eric smiled at me for a second before we went back to our room. I didn’t dare to smile back. I was still ashamed because of the back hug incident. When I walked along the almost dark hallways to the girl’s hostel, I saw someone from afar crouched at the corner of the stairs. I could guess it was Minwoo.

When I bumped into him, I said. “What are you doing here? Don’t tell me you are waiting for me?”

He remained silent, not amused by my question. I ignored him, passed by and climbed the stairs to the second floor. He did not follow me. I climbed to the fifth floor where my room was located and realized he was really not following. I stopped for a while. Now I noticed, everyone invited to this camping was staying on the fifth floor and the only difference was me being in another building than the guys.

The pink and blank room in the academic building separated with girl’s hostel and boy’s one which explained why the building was actually attached together by only a lift. So we as student had no choice except to go downstairs just to go to the next building. The exception were the doctor and Jihoon who could freely use the lift to go to the next building which without surprise was a bit faster and of course not tiring them at all.

I sighed before hearing footsteps from downstairs. I guessed it could be Minwoo or the other student since Dr. Ki or Jihoon might use the lift except if they planned to scare me to death. The footsteps came closer to where I stood. I reminded myself to keep calm. When I saw one familiar figure, I released my heavy breathe. Minwoo slowly climbed up the stairs toward me. I screened him with my suspicious eyes to be sure he was not holding any weapon in his hand.

He stopped in front of me and removed his hand from his sweater before suddenly touching my fingers with his. I was about to pull back my hand but he was much faster than me. He held my hand softly. I was too shocked to react until he asked to intertwined his fingers with mines. I hesitated at first before eying his next action. He was silent and still. Without thinking much, I accepted his demand. He looked safe and trustworthy right now.

We walked with a slow pace to my room. More like I was the one dragging him into my room. He was cute like this. Like a little child obeying his mum. Every time butterfly went wild silently in my stomach, I smiled secretly. I didn’t know how to explain this feeling. I never felt like this in my entire life. It was new and strange but I think I loved it. Yes. I loved it. I loved his fingers around mine. I loved his eyes following me. I loved the fact he was next to me. I loved this moment right now.

I stood still when we got in my room with our intertwined fingers. My face was red enough to tell that I was ashamed right now. But both of us didn’t want to pull away from each other.

“I’m afraid.” Said Minwoo suddenly. He was still standing next to me.

“Of what?” I asked.

“I see him every night.” He said nervously.

“Who?” I asked curiously.

“That monster. I see him every night. I see him just now. I’m afraid.” Minwoo said, half-crying.

I assumed he was sick right now. He was hallucinating and he named the-only-thing-he-see as “monster”.

“It’s ok. He’s not here right?” I asked and faced him. I held his other hand with my other free hand.

“I’m not sure. He was here too last time.” He said and looked down.

“The first time you came here? Is the monster really here?” I asked again.

 “Hum.” He nodded.

Oh God. This poor boy.

“I guess he’s not here this time. Don’t worry Minwoo. I’m by your side. Did you take your medicine yet?” I asked.

“I’m not sick. I really see him.” He cried this time.

I gulped before saying, “Ok. Sit here and take a rest Minwoo.”

I pushed him lightly on the couch.

“Don’t leave me.” He was stubborn to not release my hand.

I forced myself to sit next to him on the couch.

“I won’t.” Our eyes met. “I promise.”

 

 

to be continued...