Chapter 3

Silent Sniper

I walked back to my room and lay down on my bed. Eric's unbelievable words were still echoing in my mind, and it was hard to digest all that in so little time, even if I tried to believe him. He looked trustworthy and sincere. All this was giving me a headache, and I couldn't help bang my forehead against my mattress every passing minutes.

 

I hated to be involved in people's business, Minwoo's included. Why should I help Eric anyway ? I used to hate everything leaving me no other choice than be included. I hated when my mum was asking me to follow her around. I hated when my dad was asking us to eat meals together every damn day. I hated when my sister was bringing me things for free just to make herself look richer and more capable than I was. I hated when the neighbors greeted me with their fake smiles. I hated when someone was staring at me and begging for some attention. And I hated to be the center of attention even though I couldn’t avoid it.

 

When I closed my eyes to try to get some rest and planned to skip dinner to just go to the supper if I was hungry later, the alarm suddenly rang. But this time it was different. The alarm didn't stop.

 

With a heavy sigh, I forced myself out of my room and went straight to the main hall as quickly as I could. I knew something was wrong. I could feel it.

 

When I arrived at the main hall, I heard loud sobs from Junjin sitting weakly on the chair at the corner of the main hall. Minwoo, who eventually joined the circle around Junjin, stood there silently while Eric, Hyesung and Dongwan kept patting Junjin’s back.

 

With a frown, I counted every students present and I realized someone was missing. After looking at every boys, I noticed Andy was the one absent. I figured it was the reason why Junjin was so devastated.

 

“So, is everyone here?” asked Jihoon coming out from nowhere with the Doctor at his side.

 

“Yes.” Answered Eric after spotting me.

 

A gut feeling was telling me something bad had happened, but I didn't really want to think about it.

 

“Calm down Junjin. Everything’s gonna be alright.” Tried the doctor, but Junjin was inconsolable.

 

“How can you be so sure? Even you were attacked last night!” Junjin shouted.

 

“It has nothing to do with this situation.” Said Dr. Ki Dongchan in a low voice.

 

“Why are you so sure?” shouted Junjin more loudly before glaring angrily at Minwoo standing calming next to Eric.

 

“Wait... Don’t start accusing anyone right now!” screamed Jihoon.

 

“Why not? When we're 99% sure what happened last night could happen again tonight! Right Minwoo?” screamed Junjin.

 

Minwoo chuckled, smirked and said. “I’m not interested in Andy’s life, though.”

 

Hyesung suddenly said. “So you're interested in the doctor’s life then? Can’t you just stop injuring people like that we won't have to suspect you in this kind of situation. You made this situation complicated, Minwoo!”

 

Eric cut Hyesung off, “Please... Please everyone, stop accusing randomly ! We need to trust each other right now! We need to search for Andy before it gets dark.”

 

After that small fight, we separated into two teams. Minwoo, Eric and I in one and Hyesung, Dongwan and Jihoon in another while Dr. Ki Dongchan and Junjin decided to search for Andy around the basement and outside the place.

 

Hyesung, Dongwan and Jihoon decided to search the academic buildings while my team decided to search around the hostels. It was impossible for us to search for someone around this huge place, but I still followed.

 

When I passed by the boy’s hostel, I could smell the strong scent of men around here. It felt so different from the girl’s hostel.

 

Despite searching thoroughly, we didn't find anything suspicious around the area.

 

Eric who was leading us at the front commanded us to search for Andy in every single corners of the building. I was annoyed at some point. He sounded like my mum when she was asking me to pick every single clothes scattered on the floor. But his warm eyes made me follow his instructions loyally.

 

Minwoo on the other hand. I had no idea what could be going on in his head at the right moment as I spotted him screening every corners with his small eyes as if nothing had happened. He was expressionless. He was certainly not caring about what had happened and forced him to be here.

 

We searched for Andy for almost two hours straight. It was 9pm right now and it was totally dark outside. I had no idea if the doctor and Junjin could search Andy outside in such circumstances, then my stomach suddenly growled loudly. Great, I was hungry.

 

The sound could have make me hide in the bushes for a few days if people had heard it. But luckily enough, no one was around.

 

Wait! Where was everyone? Where was Eric and Minwoo. I could hear their footsteps just a few minutes ago, but now I was alone. I felt my sweat wet my face as I tried to search for Minwoo and Eric instead of Andy.

 

After a while, I heard someone’s voice through an emergency door. I gulped in apprehension, ready for anything bad to happen to me, but the voice didn’t sound threatening, and listening more attentively, I realized I knew this voice. It was Eric's.

 

Was he talking to Minwoo ? I stepped closer to the emergency door and eavesdrop the conversation.

 

“Minwoo, I believe you didn’t do anything to Andy. But please, this time go back to your room when you're supposed too. You know it's forbidden to go outside after midnight, right? They'll suspect you if anything bad happen again. I know it's all my fault if you're being like this. I’m sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to protect you anymore if you ignore us like this. You know what I mean, right? Minwoo-ya!” Begged Eric.

 

Before I could step away from the door, the alarm rang again. This time, it was sounding more urgent. Distracted by the noise, I was startled when the emergency door opened and Eric saw me standing there with guilt written all over my face. He looked a bit surprised, but he didn’t ask me anything at the moment and ran towards the main hall. After a glance at Minwoo's expressionless face, I followed after him.

 

When we reached the main hall, I could hear loud screams mixed with thousands sobs lingering around the area. From afar I could see one frozen frame lying on the floor with snow still covering his jacket. I didn't need to step closer to know he was dead. I still approached the group crowding around the body and I saw Junjin ruffled Andy’s hair repeatedly with tears running down his red puffy eyes. From what I could see, Andy was totally breathless and his eyebrows covered by snow. His appearance looked perfect to the point I doubted if he was really dead, until I saw the red stain around his wrist.

 

He committed suicide?

 

“We found him at the back gate a few minutes ago. When we arrived his heartbeat had already stopped. I couldn’t do anything to help him. I’m so sorry.” Explained the doctor.

 

I could see Eric got suspicious again at the way he glared at the doctor. It was always easy to read Eric’s mind when he was calm.

 

“Why did you move him from the crime scene?” He asked suddenly.

 

“It was so cold outside. Junjin kept telling me Andy was still alive and said we had to bring him back inside. I knew we shouldn't touch him and just wait for the police but..” Before the doctor could finish, Jihoon cut in.

 

“We're too late. Andy's dead. We need to bury his body here. It's impracticable outside with the snow and the police won’t come here. We reported the university was closed during winter break and this place's terribly far from the city. Besides that, the telephone line is broken. If we get the police involved in this case, we might get locked up altogether. We've no proof and Minwoo will be the first suspect here if he refuses to talk. The last thing we can do here is stay unified and wait for tomorrow. Any of you are willing to go outside to find some signal and call for help ?” Such conclusion was chilling.

 

“I’ll go tomorrow.” Volunteered Eric.

 

“Me too. I’ll follow Eric.” Added Hyesung.

 

“Okay. You can stay in the pink room for the night if you want.” Told us Jihoon before saying. “I'm gonna need some help here.”

 

We stared at him soundlessly, body frozen by something stronger than the cold outside. It seemed no one had the courage to bury one of their friend.

 

“I'll help you.” Said Junjin as he raised his head.

 

“Me too.” Sobbed Dongwan.

 

“Why don't we all do it?” I suggested.

 

They nodded simultaneously and we went to the beautiful backyard at the back of this huge building to bury Andy's body.

 

No one had expected something like that to happen, and still under the shock of the tragedy striking us, we cramped together in the pink room to wait for morning to arrive.

 

Junjin who looked the most miserable was sitting next to Dongwan who was the back of his head from time to time in an attempt to calm him down. On his side, Hyesung was already asleep in Eric’s arms and might have the most heavenly moment as Eric kissed the crown of his head.

 

It was the first time I could see another side of Eric. He was embracing Hyesung in his arms as if he could spread his warmness around the room to the others. It was the nicest view gracing my eyes right now.

 

Behind the curtain were standing Dr. Ki Dongchan and Jihoon. I could hear them speak about nothing special, and I presumed they were planning what to do next, which I didn't care about.

 

In the confinement of the room, my eyes moved around in search of Minwoo. I spotted his small frame laying on the bed, his face still expressionless. I observed him and noticed his ears were as small as his eyes. He looked cute when he was sleeping. My gaze ventured on his lips I thought were kissable before moving on his sweet thick eyebrows. His hair were down and brushing his forehead softly.

He was the calmest person at the moment. I still couldn’t believe the fact he had tried to kill the doctor more than once. With that figure, it was hard to believe he could harm anyone, mostly someone like the doctor. 

 

to be continued...


I warned before. There are characters who died.

Don't blame me. I'll try my best to satisfy readers.

Once again reminder, this fic mostly focus on Minwoo and Eric.