Chapter 1

Silent Sniper

Winter break.

 

One of the best gift for students and a joyful moment for the whole residents of Shin University claiming their days after working hard for a full semester. Shin University was extremely different from other universities. It was located far from the hustle and bustle of the city. The students choosing to study there were either anti-social or had some mental problems.

 

At first glance, Shin University looked like a huge castle. No one could explain how extravagant the outside and the inside of the place was. In winter, the ground was covered by snow from the front gate to the front door of the university at about 1 miles from there. It took effectively a few minutes just to walk to the front gate.

 

Imagine students climbing the spiral stairs and lecturers taking the elevator to explore the five floors of the building casually attached side by side to three other buildings. It was the dreamed university for all the students, if the place was brighter and filled with cheerful teenagers. But it was not. The university was just huge. No words could describe how dimmed and mysterious the inside of the building was.

 

Well, it was not a problem for me. I chose to be one of them just because I hated my world. I hated my world to the point I didn’t want to study anymore. I just wanted to live in a lonely forest where no one could find me at all. But with the pressure of my parents, I was now trapped inside this university. My mum said this university was on full board and far from the city.

 

At first I didn’t believe what my mum said because I didn’t want to believe anyone in my life included my parents, but after a few days at this university I started to love the surroundings. I mean, no one cared about me here. I went to class whenever I wanted, I chose what class to go whenever I felt like it, I could be anywhere I wanted, locked myself in my room whenever I felt I needed to. Mentally speaking, it was great for me to be here.

 

Like winter break was starting tomorrow, students were busy packing their bags. I tried to ignore them and just laid on my bed for hours.

 

It was prohibited to stay in this place for holidays, everyone knew it, and my mum nagged at me over the phone every time I called her just because I said I decided to have my holiday in this creepy place. My mum didn’t believe what I said until I showed her the invitation letter I got for a camping holiday in here.

 

Actually, it was a mystery how and why I got this invitation letter. The handwriting itself was creepy with a red stain outside the envelope and written with black wet ink.

To the one with her hurt mind... (well, it wasn't the case actually)

We will have a very nice camping here for 2 months before this place is crowded again.

And you who's reading this letter is invited to come and stay here with us.

Your lecturer, Me... ” (well, as if I knew who 'me' was)

 

I read the letter for the third time waiting for this night for ‘us’ to meet and greet to eventually arrive. I couldn't wait for it after thinking I would be bored and spent my time alone. I was impatient to meet the others getting this letter and I couldn't wait to eventually know who was the lecturer behind them.

 

When I woke up, I checked the time and realized it was already 10pm. Hell, I was late. The meeting was starting at 9pm, and rushing out of my comfy bed making me oversleep, I wore my sneakers, hurried out of my room and locked my door before going to the main hall. It was cold outside of my room. I didn't want to imagine how cold it was outside the building. Maybe it could freeze my spine and break it into pieces. 

 

Patting my pocket, I realized I forgot my phone in my room. I could go back to get it, but it would take me two minutes to only go back there so I decided to just go to the main hall without my phone.

 

Passing by a window reflecting my image, I observed for a second my skinny but healthy body hidden under a black and white outfit before drifting my attention on my face and beanie covering my very short hair. I was always wearing either a snapback or beanie, but no matter what, I looked surprisingly stylish with the most basic clothes. You'd be annoyed by me just because of that, but it wasn't my fault if I looked good even when wearing flip flop and sneakers. The only point to my fashion was it had to be either white or black for no other reason than I hated varieties. I hated attention so much to the point I was feeling like killing anyone staring at me.

 

When I reached the main hall, only five students were already there. Well, excluded the one sitting comfortably on the highest steepest step of the stairs. It was making six students in total, and the latter was actually my favorite. To be exact, I didn’t know half of them but I had seen them around the place before.

 

I knew the tall one wearing a black sweaters covering his huge but slim body. His name was Eric. He was a 3rd year student I thought had already finished his studies. He was the warmest person I’d ever knew here.

 

I met him one day my mum suddenly wanted to meet me at the front gate. It was a rainy day. I was the type to just run and ignore the rain, but someone suddenly appeared from behind me and shared his umbrella. I wanted to hold it and our fingers touched. It was such an awkward moment.

Eric walked with me to the gate where I met my mum. I thought he would leave us, but he just stood beside me and held the umbrella above our heads. I was so embarrassed. I already hated to talk with my mum, and it was worst with him eavesdropping to our conversation. After I was done talking with my mum, he kept following me from behind to share his umbrella.

It was a warm moment actually. Before we parted, I thanked him and he smiled in return saying it was okay.

 

Eric wasn't the only one I knew. The student who looked like the tallest of the group and smiled at me at the second I reached the main hall was an acquaintance too.

 

His name was Junjin. Of the all six students here tonight, he was the one I wouldn't have thought to find here because he had a cheerful personality. At some point, I couldn’t understand why this cheerful and always smiling person would chose to study here, until I heard rumors about his background story.

From what I heard, he had a very painful childhood memory and was raised by his grandmother. Despite that, he was the mood maker in the class, but after eavesdropping a conversation on the phone between him and his father I realized how pitiful he actually was. His expression was just like mine when I was talking with my mum on the phone. I didn't want to make the situation even more awkward so I turned my back to leave, but he grabbed my hand and held me back. I thought I was as good as dead, and when I apologized, he surprisingly smiled at me and told me he was trying to accept his father right now. I didn't know why he confessed such thing to me, but I didn't say anything and just nodded.

 

Besides Junjin and Eric, there was a third student I knew. He was my favorite person in fact. He was the most creepy living thing I'd ever met though and was doing the weirdest things possible like standing on the corner of the building's rooftop or sit alone on the highest and steepest step of the stairs. I think he had conquered most of the dangerous places around here.

He wasn't a talkative boy either. I never heard his voice yet but I could feel some butterflies in my stomach when I was near him. His name was Minwoo. I knew his name after accidentally bumping into him when he suddenly jumped down from the top of the bookshelf in the library. I nearly got a heart attack, but before he left I spotted the name written on the brown bangle at his wrist. At this time, I realized he was actually not a tall person because I could almost see the crown of his head.

After that bumping accident, we never really met face to face again, and perhaps he avoided me since then. I didn't know but such possibility hurt a little in my chest.

 

I didn't know the other three students present, but they looked extremely annoyed by the prolonged wait. The one as tall as Eric was standing next to a short boy complaining continuously about the teacher's whereabouts. The remaining unknown boy was silently sitting next to Junjin and scratching his nose from time to time with his eyes focused on his watch in visible annoyance. Looking at him, I noticed he was sitting really close to Junjin, so I assumed they were good friends or something.

 

After thirty minutes of waiting, which was making one hour and a half for the boys, someone eventually appeared. The figure was average, and I quickly recognized it as a guy too. But, wait ! Was he a lecturer too ? I didn't know him though. He looked basically younger than us, but when he called for the other students to come closer before yelling at Minwoo still sitting on the stairs, I knew for sure he was a lecturer. Even if I wasn't familiar with his face (maybe because I was rarely going to class), the tone of his somehow energetic and powerful voice seemed enough to control the seven of us.

 

After gathering around the tables on the very right side of the main hall, the lecturer began to introduce himself, “Hmm... My name is Han Jihoon. You guys can call me hyung or oppa since I'm actually only a bit older than you. Hmm... for safety reasons, we locked the front gate, and as usual you guys know how to set off the alarm if you're in danger, right?” We nodded so he continued. “Well, the only rule here is you've to gather altogether at this right place every time I blow my whistle or ring the alarm. No one can be left behind, no matter what. And Jung Shi Nae, are you okay to be the only girl around these guys? I assume you know them well already.”

 

“Oh, no. I don't know them actually, but I'm fine.” I answered, surprised by the sudden question.

 

“Oh yeah, my name is Dongwan.” the short unknown student introduced himself and waited for me to shake his hand.

 

“And my name is Hyesung, I hope you can survive well here.” Said the tall one provokingly.

 

“My name is Junjin and this is my friend, Andy.” Followed Junjin, the only one I trusted right now and sitting beside his silent friend Andy who gave me a smile when he saw Junjin doing it.

 

“Oh, okay. I thought you knew each other already. Anyway, I’m busy right now. If you guys need anything you'll find me at the blank room.” This room used to be the room for naughty students to reflect on themselves. “And if anyone's getting hurt you guys can just go to the pink room.” A room used to be the one for the fake injured students wanting to skip class. “Dr. Ki Dongchan's there.” Explained the lecturer.

 

I didn’t know what made this lecturer busy right now but before I could ask someone voiced. “How about food? Anyone's cooking?”

 

The lecturer looked at Eric before answering, “I cook for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. And if anyone want to help me just join me in the kitchen back there. We'll have supper tonight around 11pm. I’ll ring the alarm when I'm done cooking, okay?”

 

“OK!” Answered Dongwan and Hyesung at the same time while Junjin and Andy nodded their head.

 

 

I was too lazy to get a supper tonight, so I messaged Junjin and told him I was sleepy and couldn’t join them. Lucky for me we exchanged phone numbers before going back to our rooms. Even if I somehow felt awkward because I hated to get the slightest contact with anyone especially through the phone. It was useful at the right moment.

 

Once the message sent, I stared at my phone blankly before closing my eyes on the thought I didn't have any plans for tomorrow.

 

 

To be continued...