Chapter 33

Sunset at Jaopraya
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Sorry guys tried to update this since yesterday it won't let me so I just have to test it out with one word :)

 

Today the tram in the city is pretty pack due to the expensive fuel cost during the war. Most people would carry some clothes, food, jewelry and money just in case of the air bombing.

Aom is standing grabbing on to the handrail while looking out the window. The street is not as busy today, and the vehicles on the street mostly belong to the Japanese troops, which look hostile and rude.

"Yesterday I heard that the girl that sell snack in the market is another victim" the guy sitting on the tram said it loud, makes everyone on the tram want to listen in.

"What happened?" His friend asks with curiosity

"Those animal kidnap, her and toss her body by the temple wall. Luckily, she is still alive, so we help out as much as we could. I don't know what is going on with her now, sometime she cries sometime she laugh, sometime she shaking, so scare of them, I don't think she would be normal again. They said, a lot of people saw when those bastard kidnap her, but no one dare to do anything, they would get their head chop off if they did"

Those word send chill down the petite's girl spine and she felt very disgusted by the story. A loud engine from a car next to the tram waiting on the red light cause the story teller to lower his voice down. The driver is the regular Japanese soldier but the one who sit beside him is leaning back, the cap is pull down to cover half of the face, so Aom doesn't really know who it is, but somehow to the petite girl, that gesture and body seem very familiar. It wasn't long before that car leave, but for a second Aom has a warm feeling inside.

"Those samurai soldier are cold blooded and heartless"

'Is it true that person is cold blooded and heartless?' Aom thinks to herself. Because since that person and her troop move into the boat dock next to her house, she never heard this kind of news from that area at all. Except when Ta Pol and Ta Bua stole the fuel and when the soldiers trespassed into her property, which in these two incident, they all got severely punished so no one dare to do anything bad. The troop live in that area in unity, they would sometime go out to visit people in that area from time to time to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Sometime they would bring can foods, clothes and other necessity to the local people as an exchange for the fruits. On the contrary, the local people would sometime shoot their prices up so high it ridiculous, but those soldiers still are friendly and still willing to do business with them. Many times, they would even give pin, needles, sawing kit, and fishing poles out for free.

That person come into that area with a pale white skin, pink cheek and playful smile, because she came from a country with snow and cold weather. That red lips that is willing to smile at anyone, a face that look younger than her age, many people might think that with those quality, she would not being able to control the soldier under her command, but that's not the case at all. However, right now, that pale white skin turn tan because of working outside, the playfulness turn more aggressive like soldier, and that black eyes hide sadness inside.

Aom shakes those feeling off her head, 'that person is no different than other of these cold blooded soldier, even if that person didn't physically harm her, but that person did pressure her to get marry ', Aom thought to herself. And in a very near future, she has to be marry to this type of person, a person who use force to hurt and girls! Suddenly, the petite girl feels very disgusted with that thought, she hate that person, and want nothing to do with that person. She doesn't want that person to touch even the tip of her finger.

Just a minute ago, Aom just met her dad, her stepmother and her two sisters. Everyone, other than her dad, look at her like she is an alien from another planet. The house is big and beautiful, which cause Aom to feel bad even more. Her two sisters and stepmother seem to have everything they could ever wanted, they even have a basement hideout from bomb, so they don't have to leave the house at all, which is so much different from how Aom and her mom lives. The big gap of differences cause Aom to feel even more distant to her dad, so when they are finally alone, the petite girl reaction and face is stiff as stone. It feels like they're not father and daughter, but an associate that is force to work together.

Aom told her dad the whole story about Mr.Worden,

"I don't know if what Mr.Worden said is true or not..."

"This is too dangerous..." Aom's dad mumble to himself with a serious face

"So what do you expect me to do? Turn him into the Japanese soldiers, to get him kill? I can't do that!"

"What you did was very dangerous and if they were to find out, your whole family and everyone involve would be in so much trouble"

"Too bad, I did what I had to, Grandma and Mom also agree that they can't just let anyone get kill in front of them if they I can do something about it, Mr.Worden is a human being too"

"This get way out of hand..."

"He asks me to come and talk to you so I did"

"Keep your voice down Aom, people in this house doesn't know anything about this"

Those confirmation words from her dad surprise Aom a bit, but she keeps her voice down and ask, "So what Mr.Worden said is true?"

Aom's Dad nodded his head, "We start this underground group since the war started, there are many high rank officer involve, but I can't tell you about them"

Aom feels a little connection to her dad, since now they have to work together to achieve one common goal, "So how would Mr.Worden escape? I don't see a way at all"

"Sometime we would send them through submarine, our people would wait for them at small islands in the south that is out of the Japanese troops data. But my big concern right now is how are we going to sneak him out of that area to a submarine? Right there is just at the tip of the Japanese troop's nose"

"I might have a way to sneak him out of the orchard, but other than that I can't help much"

Her dad give her a doubtful look, "And how would you do that?"

"How about we use my engagement ceremony or maybe my...wedding day? The Japanese soldiers around my house would be so busy, they probably don't have time to care about anyone, especially a funeral"

Aom's Dad eyes sparkle in understand on how Aom is going with this.

"That's great, we just put him in a casket and bring him out. But it could cause suspicion, because Mr.Worden is probably taller than most of the local there"

"Well, if he is afraid for his life than he better bear smaller casket and stay uncomfortable in there for a while"

"Ok, so that's the plan, you work on your part try to get a casket, I'll work on getting him out after he's out of your orchard. But don't tell Mr.Worden about any of this yet, if anything would happen to him before then, it would not cause us anymore trouble"

"What about...my problem?" Aom stutter to say those question out which cause her dad to give out a long sigh.

"We don't have any other way out...if you don't agree, it would cause me some problem"

"The Japanese side is watching you?"

"They might know somewhat, they have spy everywhere, they almost caught our secret airbase the other day. That's why we have to close that whole path down, if it's still there, it would be the easiest way for Mr.Worden to escape"

"But if I get marry...wouldn't the underground fighter be suspicious of you?"

"That's what I think the Japanese side is trying to achieve, that is why I have to succeed in getting Mr.Worden out of there"

"What if we fail and Mr.Worden get caught?"

Aom's Dad pause for a second, "Then I'm doom"

"So it's bad for you either way"

"We just have to play the odd, I just have to trust in myself, that I'm doing all this for my country. One bad thing is, I didn't plan for you to get involved in this mass at all. Your mom probably hate me even more for this and think that I'm selfish again"

"Mom understands you..."

"Really?" Aom's Dad face show guilt even more.

"You know about the student that went to study abroad too right?"

"Where have you heard that?"

"Do you know about a student name Mike? Do you know if he's in this group as well?"

Aom asks her dad impatiently, her dad pause for a second before reluctant to answer.

"Maybe, but we don't really use real name in the operation, just in case one of us get caught, so we can't give out the other person information. Maybe he might not be in the operation at all Aom"

Aom give out a little sigh with disappointment.

"Yesterday, the culture ambassador, give me the schedule of the ceremony" Her dad tries to change the subject, "So did you prepare anything? Do you need any help from me?"

"I don't know, you have to ask Mom"

"Aom, I'm sorry that I drag you into this"

"Just forget it ok..."

Aom leaves her dad's house and on a tram going back to the other side of the river. Everything around her seem blank when she knows there is nothing she can do to change this marriage. She was hoping her dad could help her, but it seems like he is in an even worst position than her. All the petite girl can think is about the reason why this marriage happen in the first place, it's all about politics. That person marry her because of politics...

An air raid siren sound loudly causing the tram to break suddenly.

"Bombs! Bombing airplanes are here!" People yells

The people on the tram quickly push one another to get off it. Aom got push around left and right, but she's still holding on to the handrail without letting go. The more the alarm sound, the more people push, not long after that, the streets are empty. Aom just sit there on her knees without moving on the tram confused and doesn't know what to do next. The alarm sound, causing the petite girl to think about that day, the day where she had that warm strong arms to protect her.

"Heidako...I love you"

That's not true, Aom think to herself, they all love politics, her dad and even that person, politics is more important to them than her. Mike...only Mike, he is the only one who truly love her. The bombing sound is getting closer which cause the ground to shake even more.

'Come on...bomb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter