Chapter 21

Sunset at Jaopraya
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The old man’s thin body is curl up into a ball under a thick pile of blankets. The thin body is shaking and in pain. His friend that is sitting with his back against the wall not far away from him, tries to calm him down with a gentle voice.

“Hey, it’s ok, you already took the medicine, you should be better soon”

“W..w..where is the doctor? He isn’t here yet?”

“No…”

“C..c..can you go get him for me?”

“Hell no! The other day when I went and got your medicine, those soldiers look at me like they’re going to eat me alive”

“T..T..They won’t do anything to you, if you just say that you’re here to see the doctor”

“WHAT!” now the listener feel piss, “How can you say such selfish thing? Don’t you remember what we did to them? Think about it, now you ask me to drag myself there and ask for their help? What if they keep me there? I’m gonna die alone”

“Oh..come on, I can’t bear the pain any longer, p..p..please this headache and it’s so damn cold…brrr…brrr”

Someone is stepping on to the front open porch, which made the whole house shake a bit. The person who’s sitting against the wall quickly look at the front door and greet her with a happy sound.

“Oh...”

The petite lady with a black sarong and white short sleeves shirt step into the house, her hair is braided and compliment that beautiful face which made her look younger than her age. 

“How is Ta Pol doing?”

“He has high fever and moan in pain as you can see”

“Did he takes the medicine?”

“Yeah he did”

Aom kneels down on her knees and touch the old man’s forehead and neck.

“His body temperature hasn’t gone down at all”

The sick old man’s eyes is all red and his mouth is shaking, “A..A..Aom, pleaseee…can you go get the doctor for me. Pl..Pl..Please let him give me another shot of medicine, it’s so cold and this headache…it feels like my head is going to explode”

Aom quickly turn to the person who’s sitting up against the wall.

“No way, I won’t go anywhere near that place” said Ta Bua

“P..P..Please Aom, help me, that medicine is so good, not long after he gave me the shot the other day, my fever and headache was much better”

“But the doctor said he’s going to come to give you more shot”

“Y..Y…Yeah, I heard he said that too, but he probably forgot”

That shaking body made Aom hesitates, because she does feels sorry for him but still don’t want to go.

“But…they don’t let outsider go in”

“Oh…come on, p..p..please just said you’re here to see the doctor, you’re good friend with the doctor too, they probably won’t say anything…please…pl..please I’m begging you”

“Ok, I’ll go see if he’s available, but I don’t guarantee that he would come ok? I mean you know what you guys did to him, so you can’t blame him” Aom can’t help but to snap back at them

“P..P..Please help me, if he don’t come just beg him for me, you are very close to them and they’re very courteous toward you”

“Why would they be courteous toward me and I’m not that close with them! If the doctor doesn’t want to come, I can’t make him ok?!?”

Aom isn’t happy with what Ta Pol said to her and her snap back voice shows it, but she still gets up and go to the boat dock for him.

“Ta Bua, you go heat up some hot water, in case the doctor comes. Right now if you have an empty bottle just put hot water in it and let to Pol hug it while he sleeps, it would help with the cold”

 

The bridge that connect the orchard and the boat dock used to be where people cross to go in and out because it’s the shortcut for worker, but since the burglary incident the area is surround by barb wire and soldiers stand guard at every entrance of the boat dock.

Inside the boat dock, you can hear metal smashing and see sparks of fire from metal welding all day long. Aom hears a familiar voice from the inside, sometime speaking Japanese and sometime struggling Thai, so she kinda hesitate to go in at first. She walks over to the guard soldier who’s walking back and forth in front of the gate.

“O-ishi sun wa doshira dezka te emus ka (Do you know if the doctor is here?)”

That question made the soldier look her way but when the soldier saw who she is, the soldier salute to her politely.

“Hei..shoto munte kudasai (Please wait a moment)”

“Domo arikato koraimus (Thank you very much)”

Aom smiles a bit because she remember that the soldier she just talked to is one of the soldier that trespass into her house and got punish by it. Not long after that the soldier walks back with a big smile on his face and said,

“Watashi ni tusuete eiraisai doso gashirae (Please follow me Miss)”

The soldier opens the door widely so she can easily walk into the camp and lead her to where there are line of one story buildings next to each other. The area is very clean and very quiet, considering that it is a sleeping place of most of the soldier in that camp. The petite girl walks into a room that looks like an office, not a very big room but very neatly arrange to make the room look bigger, especially the big table in the middle of the room where there are stack of blue prints neatly arrange on it.

“Chibaraku keko d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter