Chapter 17

Sunset at Jaopraya
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been 2-3 days and Aom still haven’t heard anything about Kimhan. Every time the petite girl goes swimming in the river, she can’t help but float along the current close to the boat dock and sneak a peek. Still there are no signs of either the doctor or Kimhan, and the white boat is park in the same spot without a trace of its owner. At night Aom would wait for the unfamiliar instrument sound that would sometime travel down the river but was disappointed. 

 

Mrs.Orn is heading to the market and Aom is swimming in the river like always.

“Honey, don’t come down and work in the orchard today. Look after your grandma for me, don’t let her work ok? She just started to get better”

“Ok…Mom, can you buy egg noodle for me on your way back, I’m going to catch some river shrimps and we can stir fried it with noodle tonight”

Aom dives down in the river before her mom could answer. As Aom dives down to get the shrimps that she had trap and grab it up with her hand, she heard the sound of an engine and then it stop.

“Misu wa fukai dezka?” (Is this river deep?)

That person’s voice asks from behind Aom’s back, it frighten her and it makes her drop the shrimps in her hand.

“Aww…that’s too bad!”

Aom quickly turn around to the source of the voice as she is still floating with her head above the water in the river. The white motor boat is floating next to her and the driver’s face is pretty pale, with a sling on that person’s shoulder to help support her left arm. The lip that is usually red is now pale and dry. The black eyes are not as bright and playful like always, on the other hand, it shows a glimpse of sadness. The hair that used to be super short is now longer, covering the forehead, but when their eyes met that person still smile a bit at Aom.

“I’m sorry that I scared you”

That voice sound so normal without a sign of anger, because of what had happened.

“Hekanga…deska?” Aom stutter asking the question. The question made Kimhan raise her eyebrows, because Aom never want to speak to her in Japanese before. So, Aom asks the question again…

“Hekanga deska?” (How are you doing?)

Kimhan bow her head a little and said, “Arikato senki des” (Thank you I’m doing well)

The moment become a little awkward when they don’t know what else to talk about so Kimhan went back to fixing the motor on the white boat.

“The engine is acting up again” Kimhan said it shortly while still concentrate on fixing the boat. Aom try to kick up from the water to see what’s going on.

“You can come and grab on to the boat, so you won’t be tired” Kimhan said as she saw the petite girl crane her head up to see what Kimhan’s doing. But Aom still don’t feel like doing it and wasn’t sure if she should, after a while when Kimhan didn’t look her way, Aom touch the side of the boat slightly. The current of the water is pretty still today, so the boat don’t really float far away from Aom’s house.

Aom heard Kimhan sigh heavily and drop the tool like she’s frustrate, because of the injured arm, it makes Kimhan not used to fixing it with one hand.

“I’m doom, this boat is going to float out very far…”

“You can’t fix it?”

Kimhan shake her head, “I can fix it but not with one working hand, if it float farer it’s going to be bad” Kimhan said while looking around.

Aom looks at the rope in the front of the boat and said, “I can take that rope, swim to tie it to the dock of my house and we can pull the boat in…so you won’t float ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter