Chapter 30

Sunset at Jaopraya
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You and I should get married…

You and I should get married…

Those words still echo back into the petite girl’s head. Aom’s mind went blank, her whole body feels numb and the blood in her body seem like they’re freezing for a minute.

You and I should get married…

Those words from that person’s mouth seem so strong and confident, like it is a task that they have to perform together, but without any feeling toward one another.

“Dr.Yoshi explains to me that for Thai people, if a girl allows a guy to touch her hands or more, it means that they are more than friend and are ready to have a family together. I was wondering why those people weirdly looked at me, now I understand, but I didn’t mean for all these to happen. The only thing I can do is to turn to this solution, to control the situation before it gets more out of hands”

‘Turn to this solution…only to control the situation…that is all she thinks about, nothing else…no love… no feeling… no believe toward one another. Seem like everybody only think about the best solution…get married to this person…the person that is standing right in front of her? She is not even a guy…plus she is the enemy, an enemy who take over this country because she think she’s superior’ Aom thinks of all these while Kimhan is speaking.

“I already report this to my uncle…he is very happy for us…he promised he would order a big ceremony as honor to you”

‘Us’…that word mean her and Kimhan? Not her and Mike…but this person that is standing in front of her, a person she would never dream to get married to in a million years. Aom steps backward a bit, her head is spinning.

“He would send Dr.Yoshi…to talk to your mom first…and he would come himself later…Do you have any objection?”

Objection...there are hundreds of objection that the petite girl wants to make but the only thing that Aom yells out with anger is….

“BUT I DON’T LOVE YOU…NOT EVEN A LITTLE!”

Kimhan look down on the floor and pause before looking up at her and answering softly.

“I know…I know that whole heartedly…but this is the best way…to take care of this…I don’t know what else to do”

“There is another way, a better way to take care of this”

Kimhan look up at Aom with a serious face, “What is it? I’ll do anything”

“Leave…get out of here and don’t come back, so we don’t have to see each other again. Ka-ae-ru! Go away!”

The tall figure that is still leaning on the tree still didn’t move and that silent help calm Aom’s anger.

“But it doesn’t help you in any way, the only thing that it does is…making you happy that you don’t have to see me…but other than that it doesn’t help solve anything. Plus, I’m not ok leaving you with all these burden that you have to face by yourself. I’ll try to find other ways…but there is nothing else that we can do that is better than this…at least this way, it would stop all the bad rumors that are going around”

“Yeah, but they would say a lot worst!”

Aom said mockingly which cause confusion for Kimhan.

“What else could they say?”

“If right now, one of the Japanese girl in your country get married to an American soldier, what would you think?”

The snap back question from Aom make Kimhan pause in her place, so Aom laugh mockingly in .

“How would you feel?”

“If I tell you…you would think…that I make it up” Kimhan explains slowly

“I know I’m not a good samurai. Many people said…that my heart is too weak…to become a soldier…I only get to be here…because of my uncle. I love my country…but I’m not blind because of love for my country. I always think…no matter what nationality you are…Japanese, American or Thai…they have their own right to choose their freedom, love or hate…if one of the Japanese girl in my country would get married to anyone with other nationality because they love each other…she has her own right to decide her own faith…I would not judge her even a little”

“Ok, but how many people in your country would honor a woman that is doing this?”

Kimhan presses her lips together while Aom still continue with a sarcastic voice.

“Now do you know what I mean? Thai people also thinks like this. You think you are the superior nation that is send by the sun…then just stay there, don’t get mixed up with a less superior nation. I’m willing to get married to the worst criminal in my country more than to get married to the best person from the enemy’s country, because I’m the one who is blinded by love for my own country!”

Aom quickly turn around to walk away from Kimhan. In her heart, she is hoping a little that the tall figure would call after her. But when she didn’t hear anything, she feels a little uneasy, turn a little to see what Kimhan is doing, but that tall figure still didn’t move and stand there in the same position. It seems like that person didn’t care at all!

 

Mrs.Orn look up from working at her daughter.

“You went down to the orchid?”

“Huh?...What did you say Mom?” Aom’s mind drift and didn’t hear what her mom asks.

Mrs.Orn didn’t pay much attention to her daughter reaction because she is busy with her work, “I thought you went down to see Mr.Worden”

“No…I just went down and walk around a bit…”

“If you’re not that busy, you should go and visit him sometime, to show that we willing to help him”

“Mom…” Aom said with an unsure feeling if she should tell her mom or not

“What is it Honey?”

“Do you like Mike?”

Mrs.Orn chuckles a bit before answering but still continue working, “Of course Honey, I’ve seen him since he was little, plus our families have been friends since forever…”

Aom quickly cut in before her mom can continue about the long history about both of their families,

“No…I didn’t mean that, I mean…”

This time Mrs.Orn put down the fruits in her hands and turn to look at her daughter with a confusing look.

“What?”

“I…I just want to ask you…if I was to get married with…with someone how would you feel?”

“Why do you ask Honey? Mike still hasn’t come back yet or did you hear something?”

“Nothing…I’m just asking…”

“I know if there is nothing wrong, you would not ask me this type of question, now tell me what is going on?” Mrs.Orn put her hands on the petite girl’s cold hands with a worry look, “What is it Honey? Tell me…”

“When I was down at the orchid…I met Kimhan…”

Mrs.Orn’s face changes from worry to knowing what her daughter is about to tell her, but her reaction didn’t change and still ask back at Aom with an emotionless voice.

“What did Kimhan say?”

“That person just talked about the bad situation that is going on, she said Dr.Yoshi told her about it, and the best solution is…for that person and me to get married”

This time, it’s Mrs.Orn who turn quiet, so Aom has to put her hands on her mom’s hand and shake it.

“Mom…what are we going to do? That person said that there is only one solution and she already told her uncle about it. They would send Dr.Yoshi to talk to you soon. Mom…this is not good, don’t agree to this Mom”

“Ok…ok calm down, slowly Honey, we should think about this slowly and carefully” Mrs.Orn answers back in a soft voice, like she is bringing herself back to reality as well.

“Mom, I can’t marry that person, I really can’t. I hate that person...hate…do you understand?” Aom repeats the word ‘hate’ like she wants to make sure that she has to remember this feeling, so there is no other word to replace it.

“If you don’t want to, then it’s ok Honey, we can refuse the offer”

 

What her mom just said it’s just seem so simple, that made Aom feels stun.

Is that all? Just refuse? Only say the word ‘no’ and everything would go away. That person would probably feel relieve as well, that she doesn’t have to take any responsibility in this because at least that person already tried to do something about it but Aom is the one who said no. But wait, if the petite girl is the one who refuse, would she have to take responsibility of all these situation herself. And after that person’s wound heals, she would probably leave this place like she said she would, the only person left here is the petite girl that would have to face all those hurtful words by herself. And when Mike come back, would he keep his promise or would he also feel uneasy about this situation as well? So what can Aom do? How can she face her childhood friend again after that?

“Hideko…I love you”

This sentence still sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter