Caught

Chiseki

Now I'm the one who is sick at home.  I probably got it from Young Do's virus or maybe that's just my bruised heart wallowing in self-pity.  In my house, being sick means assuring dad and the three brothers that you are fine.  I received three separate calls from my brothers and dad came home much earlier than usual.  I was fine the next day but not in the mood to face Young Do.  I was still embarrassed.  I didn't know that his rejection will affect me this much.  No one at home expected me to come to school the next day and I knew they were secretly hoping that I don't go back at all.  

 

Good thing second brother came home and I shamelessly used this excuse to delay going back to school.  Mom and I personally prepared onii-chan's welcome lunch.  He likes it very much that mom pampers him this way.  After taking his afternoon nap, we went on to do our thing, movie marathons!  After the second movie, second brother pulled me aside and said we'll be having a tea break first.  He asked me what was wrong, it seemed like I didn't enjoy the movie when it's my preferred genre.  I told him, I was probably not fully recovered from the flu yesterday.  He then decided that it would be better to go home instead.  I told him no.  I don't want the tickets to go to waste.  Plus I really wanted to take my mind off Young Do.  We were in the middle of arguing when suddenly someone grabbed my arm and pulled me to his side.  I looked up and who do I see? The devil himself! Young Do asked me if this ahjussi was bothering me.  Ryuu took offense and grabbed me back to his side, saying "Take your filthy hands off my sister." in a menacing tone.  Uh oh.  I'm in deep .

 

Young Do didn't back down and challenged, "Sister? This girl has no brothers.  She's an only child."  He then turned to me and shouted "What are you doing here with an older man? Don't you realize what he can do to you? And why were you absent for two days?!  Are you getting back at me for not answering your calls the other day?"

 

I feel a physical confrontation coming between the two of them and it won't be good.  Anything that involves second brother is bound to get crazy.  The only thing left to do is run away.  I said this to Young Do in the firmest tone I can manage.

 

"I'll talk to you tomorrow at school Young Do." I turned to Ryuu and told him that the kid is a friend I recently made and dad knows all about it.  That calmed him down a bit. I was then able to drag second brother away while telling him I'll explain all this at home.

 

Young Do yelled "Make sure to come tomorrow or I'm telling mom everything I saw today! You hear me?!"  This guy, when did he start calling Secretary Lee mom? I only call his dad Uncle and he is calling my 'mom', Mom!

 

Ryuu drove the car home really fast. It's a wonder we didn't get pulled over by a cop.  From the corner of my eye, I saw his jaw muscles twitching. Not good.  He slammed the car doors and yelled for mom and dad upon entering the house.  I followed meekly behind.

 

"Son, what's wrong?" asked mom.

 

"I think Chiseki has a boyfriend.  We met him today at the movie theatre. Was there an engagement in this family that I didn't know about?"

 

 

 

I laughed and all eyes turned to me.  They didn't find it funny at all. 

 

"Sorry.  That guy is Choi Young Do and he's a friend from school and definitely not a boyfriend."

 

"School?!!! What school?  You go to school?  Since when?"

 

"Yes, Onii-chan. Your old high school. Since August this year."   I smiled sheepishly.

 

"And you never told me?!!"

 

"Uhmm. Yes because I know you'd get mad like this and never permit it in the first place."

 

"Who allowed you anyway?  Eldest brother will never permit it and Yuta always defers to his wishes."

 

As an answer I pointedly looked at dad.

 

"How could you dad?  You spoil her too much!"

 

"Tone down your voice when talking to me. I don't spoil her. It's you and your brother who does that. And if you worry about her protection, there are no visible guards on the school grounds but outside there is.  So your worry about that young man is baseless. I had him thoroughly investigated.  He's clean.  Their outings are documented as well.  No untoward incidents has happened to your sister when she's with him so calm yourself down."

 

"As for you young lady, I only promised no guards inside your school but outside I will do what I see is fit for your safety."

 

I suspected as much and did not object.  I was lucky to even be allowed to go to school.

 

Ryuu turned furious eyes on me and said, "I'm not talking to you! You dare keep secrets from me." He then stormed out of the house. 

 

Dad shrugged and said "That is between you and your brother.  You fix it among yourselves."

 

I worriedly called up Yuta.  I told him Ryuu now knows and isn't answering his phone.  I asked him if he can locate Ryuu.  Half an hour later, I got the address.

 

He went to his favorite watering hole.  It is owned by the family.  Even if intoxicated, he is safe there.  But the employees don't know me.  My family intended it to stay that way.  It's very exclusive and so I gave Ryuu's personal card and asked to be brought to him.  He was really hurt that we kept it a secret from him and started drinking heavily.

 

One might wonder at the level of my brothers' devotion to me.  All of them have been abandoned by their mothers.  Before I was born, each was living separate lives.  They knew father but dared not approach him for help.  They knew he was ruthless and without mercy.  Father was busy building his empire and like his sons none of it was legitimate.  Then came along this unassuming, artless girl.  She saw father and fell in love.  Only the two of them know the details but soon after father also fell in love.   After they married, all three women came to mother and asked for a huge compensation in exchange for their sons.  Father said such mothers do not deserve the gift of sons and set the condition they gave as permanent.  They can never call their sons their own nor see them.  They all agreed and signed contracts relinquishing custody rights. Each delivered my brothers at this house's doorstep.  Father tripled the amount they demanded and no one has heard from them ever since.  All my brothers know the story, they were around 7 to 10 years old.  Old enough to feel bitter about being sold and fully distrust someone. 

 

If a grown man was unable to withstand the force that is my mom what more his children?  By the time I was born, each saw me as their own sister. I am their blood connection to this family and to the mother of their heart.  All are loyal to father but given father's history they have a reservation regarding his paternal love.  They are not entirely sure.  They all have seen me grow up and each staked a claim.  Mom has explained all this to me.  Each of my brother is different but same in that they see me as part of themselves.  I am bound to them as they are bound to me.

 

I sat beside him and ordered sake for myself.  "I'm sorry onii-chan.  I really am.  Please understand, I'm already 17 years old.  I'm not a doll.  I need to see other people.  If you're worried about me, don't. I can take care of myself.  I know how to shoot, gamble, and drink. You guys taught me how to fend for myself. Give me a chance.  I won't die and leave you guys.  I love you all too much.  I'm going to take care of all of you in your dotage.  I swore that to father remember?"

 

I poured for him his whiskey and he continued drinking.  "Onii-chan, have you had enough? Let us go home. Mother might be worried."  With the help of body guards the two of us made it home and saw the relieved face of our mother who has been waiting for the two of us all this time.   Mom and I carefully tucked onii-chan in bed like old times.  And they say I'm the baby of the family.