Yuta

Chiseki

When I got home eldest brother has already left for a business emergency and promised to visit again within the week.  In my room, mother sat me down and asked excitedly, "How was your first day in school Chiseki?  Did you make any friends?  Was it fun?"

 

And because this was mom, I can tell her anything.  "Not really, Mom.  Most grew up together, they were friends since kindergarten.  It's like a social club but with exams and assignments.  But it's okay.  At least I know now what it is like to study in a roomful of students or engage in sports during gym time."

 

Mother looked at me intently.  "What do you think of the boys in school?  Is there anyone you like?"

 

"Mom!  It's only the first day.  I'll tell you if there's someone interesting."

 

Choi Young Do is definitely someone special now in my life but no spilling the beans yet not even to mom.  I need to get my bearings first.

 

A familiar voice hollered from down the hall, "Chiseki!!! Big brother is here. Come and greet me.  I have a present for you."

 

"Later mom, Onii-chan is here!"  I bounded off the bed and excitedly ran to third brother. I kissed his cheek and excitedly tore the paper wrapper. "I love it! You're the best Yuta." I tightly hugged him for effect. The gift was high-grade ceramic shuriken, the type that won't be picked up by the ubiquitous metal detectors. Whenever he comes home from abroad he always brings back stealthy weapons. He's of the opinion that his little sister cannot get enough protection.

 

"How did it go?  Was it difficult?"  I asked but was ignored at the moment as he looked lovingly at mom.

 

"You look beautiful as always Mother."

 

"You silver-tongued rascal. Come give your mother a kiss." 

 

Mother like daughter hugged third brother tightly then spun him around looking for any injuries.  All this show of affection, one would think Yuta has a warm personality.  That's not really the case, it's only with family that he is like that.  Everyone else feels the chills when they get to see his steely stare.

 

"It was challenging and worth my time." was the short reply.

 

In other words, mission accomplished. You see, Yuta is the self-appointed family muscle.  He gets rid of people making trouble for the family discreetly. Looks really can be deceiving, back in high school, he was scouted to be a model for some CF. He finds it troublesome to have such a striking face when his line of work requires him to be nondescript.  But he's gotten around it and even family can't recognize him when he needs to be. 

 

"I'm craving ice cream. Mom, we'll be back for dinner."  He ushered me out before I can say no.

 

At the ice cream parlor, everyone stared at us.

 

"Really brother, you should have let me dress nicely and put on some make up before heading out.  All these people are making me conscious of myself.  I look like a serving girl next to you."    

 

"You're fine.  No need for make-up. And if you were going to change into one of those, think again.  The sack sitting in my trunk is reserved for such an occasion." By 'those' he meant the skimpy shorts and see-through tank tops. Although, my taste do not run along the same lines as the girls in question, I still defended my right to dress whatever I want.

 

"I'm almost an adult now.  Surely, I can wear them.  I saw you date a girl like that!"

 

"Not my baby sister."  He said distractedly as he surveyed the room with the incoming guests.  I turned my head to see what he was looking at and just as quickly turned it back again.  Not missing a single beat, he asked "What's wrong?  Do you know those kids?"

 

"Huh? Who? No!" Thinking fast, I pretended to have suddenly developed stomach cramps.  "Can we go now brother?  I'm not feeling well."

 

Yuta narrowed his eyes not believing me for a moment. "Why are you avoiding them? Did you run into some trouble while I'm away? What are their names Chiseki?"  He asked in all seriousness. Crap. Of all ice cream parlors in Seoul, it had to be this one these rich kids decided to hang out.

 

"They're just students from your old school...."  

 

"Hyung!"  One of them called out interrupting the excuse that I'm about to say.

 

He just stared at the teenager coldly. "And you are?"

 

"It's me, Rae Won, Min Won's dongsaeng!  He was your right hand man back in the day.  I really look up to you Jjang." The kid replied expectantly.

 

Yuta abruptly stood up and walked over to the ice cream bar.  The kid followed him "Ah...Min Won, How is he?"

 

"He's now a director in the company learning from dad."  I didn't hear the rest of the conversation.

 

I worriedly looked over my shoulder.  Third brother does not tolerate strangers showing familiarity.  He might blow up anytime.  This fretting made me totally forget Rae Won's companion that was left behind.  As I snuck a peek, I was startled to see Young Do's face inches close to mine.

 

"What are you doing with Yuta?", he asked, those thick brows arched adorably.

 

""You know him?"

 

He shrugged and said, "Who doesn't?"

 

"Secretary Lee, I mean mom, has documents to pass to young master. He was meeting someone and asked me to come here instead." I stammered as I lied on my feet.

 

He seemed to buy the explanation then said, "Hmm...Really?  Then after, you wanna hang out with us later?"

 

I was thinking "YES!!!" but my tongue said "I'd love to but young master might have some other errands for me."

 

"You're not his employee.  Why do you have to take orders from him?," he said in irritation.

 

"Well, Toma Corporation has been generous to me and my mom.  This is nothing but a show of gratitude.  You know how it is with you chaebols.  We just do whatever they order us to do. I just want to make life a little easier on mom." A subdued Rae Won came back with third brother who dismissed him with a nod. 

 

I smiled and hurriedly said in hushed tones "See you in school Young Do."

 

"We're leaving, Chi...."  He pointedly looked at Young Do.  I ushered him out quickly without replying, afraid more will be revealed if we lingered.

 

On the way home, the silence was deafening.  I nervously waited for the Inquisition.

 

"What have you been doing this past month?"

 

"Oh, this and that." I said flippantly delaying the inevitable.

 

"You know what I'm talking about.  I saw you talking to Rae Won's friend. He knows you.  How did you even meet him?  Does the family know this?" came the barrage of questions. Oh well. This will be known sooner or later. I'm lucky it's only Yuta. He's the most reasonable of them all.  "Dad and mom knows."

 

"Know what exactly? That you've been meeting up with boys without the family's consent and knowledge?"  His voice was rising by the second. Before he blows his top, I confessed (I know, I'm not going to last if tortured)

 

"Onii-chan, I'm a senior at your old school.  Father gave me one year to enjoy normal school life.  I promised I will behave. I came in with a different identity.  They know me as Kyouko, Secretary Lee's daughter and sponsored by Toma Corporation."

 

"When were you planning on telling me?  Doesn't my opinion count?"  He sounded hurt.

 

"Would you have allowed me to go to school by myself?"

 

"No!!!  What was father thinking?  You don't know these brats.  They are cruel.  You should have at least body guards."

 

I laughed. "To do what?  I can take care of myself. You taught me well."

 

"If they don't like you for whatever reason, they'd make life hell for you."          

 

"I know. I have seen it.  But please don't worry brother, nothing bad will happen to me."

 

"I just knew it. Someday, the childish acting up will bite our asses."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Those absurd rules, us, your older brothers made it.   We were so cowed by father back then that we turned all our aggression at school.  We are rich but due to the nature of father's business not accepted.  We forced them to acknowledge the Moon brothers."

 

Yuta was silent for a moment. Then said, "I'll call up the gang, they still have influence.  I'm going to make sure no one dares touch you." 

 

"Onii-chan, I want to breeze through this one.  If you set it up that way.  I might become a total outcast or gain false friends.  I want to be myself this time without the family's influence."

 

"I don't know. I might have to ask eldest brother.  If it concerns you, he must know."

 

"Please Yuta...let's keep this to ourselves. If I'm caught by Hideki, I won't tell him you already know. Please onii-chan."  I begged with puppy eyes, this tactic has never failed me. This time he was quiet for a long time and only spoke as we pulled up the driveway.

 

"Alright.  But know that I'll be sending someone in school to keep tabs on you.  You have my word, he won't interfere.  But if you become hurt in any way or bullied, you're out that instant.  Do we have a deal?"

 

It's the only deal there is and we both know it.  "Thank you Onii-chan...."

 

 

 

"I am the best.. I know." he sighed as he said my favorite line.