Yato

Chiseki

"Transfer student, why are you not afraid me?" asked Young Do.

 

"Uhmm... I just don't."

 

"What if I subject you to the third degree now?"

 

"You may do so if it pleases you."  I answered with a smile.  With my direct and honest stare, he lost interest and looked ahead.

 

The teacher announced the upcoming exams and added that students at the bottom ranks may want to do better for their college application, looking pointedly at Young Do and Kim.  Both studiously ignored the teacher. 

 

I couldn't help but comment, "I think he was referring to you, Young Do.  What score did you get last time anyway?"

 

There was an audible gasp across the room.  Everyone tensed and even the teacher was waiting with bated breath about his reaction.

 

"You're pushing it Kyouko." He stood up and upended my table.  I saw smirks but didn't care.  Stuff like that don't scare me.

 

I also stood up and righted my table.  "No need to get mad if you don't want to answer.  I was just going to invite you to study together on areas you might have difficulty."

 

He came closer.  As if by mere towering he can intimidate me into submission.  I craned my neck gauging his mood, I could not define the look he gave me. Was it exasperation or disbelief?  But definitely, there was no anger.  Then he simply walked out of the classroom.

 

A sigh of relief from the teacher and disappointed faces from classmates. These people really are bloodthirsty anticipating other people's misery.  I continued on nonchalantly and just watched Young Do's retreating back.

 

 

 

The next day a new student was introduced in class.  Good looking and quite the charmer.  Background mysterious.  At lunch break, he approached me and introduced himself.  "Hi Kyouko, I'm Yato Honda from Fukuoka Prefecture.  I heard from others that you just transferred the other day.  Hope we newbies can help each other out."  He held out a hand and winked at me.

 

I smiled back and shook his hand.  I leaned forward and whispered to his ear if he knows Bishie oppa.  He was surprised and laughed out loud.  He denied knowing any bishounen other than him.  This was a private joke between me and Yuta. Well, I guess he's not the snitch.

 

Later in class, Young Do turned to me and asked what I said to Yato that made him laugh at the cafeteria.  He said, he was impressed that I have some 'skills' to catch the eye of Yato who is by now the reigning flower boy.  I assured him that my eyes see him only.  Again, he didn't know what to make of that and promptly took a nap.

 

 

 

On my way home, I received a call from guess who....Young Do!!! He asked where I was and I said bus station.  He told me to wait there. He'll come pick me up.  So I did.  I called up mom and said I'll be studying with a friend and promptly hung up.  I'll deal with the questions later. Right now I need to primp.  He later came looking ultra-cool with his big bike. He held out his helmet and off we went.

 

Surprisingly, we went to an old noodle house whose patrons are regular college students. There was no menu and he just ordered two servings.

 

"Don't you think you need to ask me first what I like to eat before ordering?"

 

"There's only one kind of dish they serve here.  If you don't want it. I'll eat your share."

 

After that he was silent as we waited for our orders.  When it came it looked very delicious and I immediately put my hands together and started eating after saying itadikimasu. 

 

"Why don't you eat daintily like most girls? I thought you liked me."

 

"I do like you but what does that have to do with eating well?"

 

While eating, I continued staring at him.  I stared so much that he asked if anything is wrong.

 

"Is this a date?  It's not very romantic." I asked back.

 

He choked and I tapped his back to help him.

 

"It's not.  I just don't have anyone to eat with.  So don't have any other ideas."

 

I said fine and told him he can always call me up if he needs to eat with someone.  He looked perplexed and asked why I was so accommodating when he hasn't promised me anything in return.  I replied that aside from liking him.  I also want to be his friend.  And this is what friends do.

 

"I bang up people for fun.  Why are you not afraid nor disgusted? Why would you like to be friends with someone like me?"

 

I replied, "Everyone has their own reason for doing things. I don't know why I like you. I just do.  As for violence, I've been through worse and understand that that is just the way it works for some people."

 

"You're too zen for a mere high school girl. Are you really who you say you are Kyouko?  I can't figure you out.  Yuta Moon, the relationship between you two is not as simple as it seems.  When you guys left, Rae Won was very tight-lipped."  

 

"Are you by any chance a secret girlfriend?" he asked abruptly.

 

 

 

I laughed and said "To that I can definitely say no.  You think he's the kind of man who would allow his girlfriend to meet other guys like this?" That ended the talk and after dinner, he dropped me off Secretary Lee's residence.