Worried

Chiseki

"Kyouko, I'm not going to have dinner with you later. I need to go somewhere."

 

"Sure thing.  Is it a hot date?"  I joked but stopped upon seeing his serious demeanor.

 

"I'm meeting mom." He answered quietly.

 

"Oh... Would you like me to accompany you?" I asked hesitantly.

 

"No need.  We can go see her together some other time."

 

He looked so vulnerable, I wanted to hug him.  But knowing his character, he might think I'm pitying him. So I didn't.

 

"Well, if you become hungry after meeting your mom, you can call me anytime even if it's late."

 

This has become our thread.  We have bonded over food.  Sometimes, Secretary Lee, plays mother and the three of us eat together food sent over by real mom.  There was a time he said that Secretary Lee and I seem to be more like sisters than mother and daughter.  We covered it up with awkward laughter.   

 

News of him finally finding his mother is very good indeed.  He has missed her for the longest time. He has that in common with my brothers - mommy issues.  My brothers all love mom to bits and pieces.  The strength of their love for mom equal the hate they have for their own flesh and blood mothers. They have been abandoned in different ways.  These guys come with trust issues as well and when they do love, it borders on near obsession.

 

 

 

I anxiously waited at home for news of the mother and son reunion.  I slept late holding the hand phone.  The next day, I came to class and Young Do was absent!  I tried calling him several times but he never answered.   I asked Rae Won and he said he knows nothing either.  I then asked Eun Sang to ask Kim Tan where Young Do lives. He gave me an address and said I might not even be allowed inside his house.  I told him I'll take care of it.

 

So here I am knocking on Young Do's huge door while Secretary Lee sits in the car nervously checking the mirror to see if anyone has been following us.  The paranoia, I tell you, it's not only my family.  The intercom buzzed and I talked to the housekeeper and asked for Young Do.  She said he is sick and cannot come to the door.  I thought about it and wondered if Uncle found out he was meeting his mother and was severely beaten or the meeting did not go well and he came down with a fever.  Before I imagined more absurd thoughts, the housekeeper opened the gate and let me in.  Secretary Lee insisted on coming with me.  I told her it would be weird for her to come with me.  She said she doesn't care if she looks weird as long as Chairman Moon doesn't find a reason to terminate her permanently.  Oookay.

 

There we were, 'mother and daughter' at the sala waiting for young master Young Do to come down when suddenly President Choi comes in.  We were both surprised. President Choi with my 'mother' and Young Do with me.  I recovered first and greeted Young Do's father.

 

"Good evening Uncle, it's me again Kyouko, Young Do's friend."

 

"Good evening to you too, young lady.  The one Young Do brought to the dojo right?  And this is?"

 

"My mom, Ms. Hannah Lee."  At this time Secretary Lee's eyes were as large as saucers upon hearing I went to the dojo with Young Do.

 

"I take it you didn't ask permission from your mom when you went to the dojo.  I assure you Ms. Lee, your daughter was perfectly safe the whole time.  And my son is nothing but a loyal friend, he wouldn't let any harm come to your daughter."

 

"Thank you President Choi.  Actually, the reason we came is to visit your son who was absent today."  Secretary Lee handed the fruits to the housekeeper.

 

President Choi told his son, "Run along now.  It seems, Kyouko has something to say to you son for coming all the way here."

 

"I'll be quick mom!"  And pushed Young Do subtly toward his room.

 

Inside his room, Young Do smiled at me and said,"It's only been a day and you come rushing to my own house with your mother in tow.  You've become very bold, Kyouko."

 

"I've always been bold.  Why didn't you answer any of my calls?  I've been very worried.  I thought your dad found out and beat you up or something."

 

He had the gall to chuckle at my expense.  "He knew I was meeting my mother.  In fact, he was the one who found her and passed the information to me.  No matter what, my father won't beat me to the point of death.  I'm his only child.  I'm absent from class because I had a fever."

 

"Did you go to the hospital?" I automatically checked his forehead for fever.  He stiffened and grabbed my wrist.  I looked up and asked what's wrong.  He said nothing but removed my hand.  I said sorry for touching him but continued asking if he's eating right.  I told him if he has no appetite, he should ask the housekeeper to cook him porridge. Then drink lots of water and eat the fruits I brought.

 

By this time, I'm really getting embarrassed by his obvious earlier rejection. Satisfied that he's not down with anything serious, I immediately said goodbye and told him to go to class only when he's feeling absolutely better.  I hurried out of there before he can say anything and closed the door.  Downstairs, Secretary Lee and President Choi seemed to have a pleasant chat.  We said our goodbyes and left.

 

 

 

Secretary Lee nagged me on my coming to the dojo without informing her.  Said that onii-chan will be mad but needs to be told.  I said it is okay, dad already knows. But she went on and on.  I asked if she happens to like onii-chan because it seemed Yuta's opinion mattered very much to her.  That shut her up real good. But before, I got out, I told her it would be nice to have her as a sister-in-law.  And that she's a good match to onii-chan.  I think it was a long time before she drove away.