It's been a while.

Chiseki

"Kyouko!!! Kyouko!!!"

 

I turned toward the sound of that voice to that name I haven't heard in 10 years.  "Eun Sang?" I asked. 

 

"Yes, it's me!  We haven't seen you since you left school.  How are you?"  She asked if we can chat over coffee and I reluctantly agreed.

 

"Kim and I have a daughter and son now.  We married right after college.  You know how he is. What about you? Married too?"  She looked at my ring finger and I said no.

 

"Good!  I mean no.  Ahh... What I meant was this weekend, the gang will all be together at Young Do's hotel. It's my son's 100th day celebration.  Would you like to come?  I wanted to be friends with you back in high school but I was busy with my numerous part time jobs. "

 

"And Kim Tan pretty much monopolized your free time."  I added.  I smiled at the memory of this passionate couple with the do-or-die romance.

 

"That too..."  She said sheepishly "...and by the time everything settled down, we were told you transferred out again.  I felt we could have been great friends if you at least finished the school year.  How about it Kyouko?  Would you like to come to my son's party?"

 

 "Actually, I'm flying out to Japan this evening for a few days.  I'm not sure if I'll be back by Friday. Can I get your number instead?  If I can't make it on Saturday, I can meet the little fellow some other day."

 

Her face fell as I said this but I need to think this through if I'm ready to meet Young Do again.  She also asked for my number and said that she hopes I can go on Saturday.

 

 

 

                                                                       ----***----

 

                            

 

I nervously entered the banquet hall.  I tried hard not to show it as I scanned the room for familiar faces. There's Bona and Chan Young, still together.  Then, I spotted Rae Won, whose eyes grew large but quickly averted them.  Hmmm.... Curious that one.  Still avoiding me like the plague. Fine.  Then...

 

"Kyouko! I'm so happy you came. Let me lead you to the others.  Boy, will they be surprised.  I didn't tell them you were coming because I wasn't sure you're going to make it.  But now that you're here..."

 

I interrupted Eun Sang.  I wasn't ready at all and totally chickening out.  "Actually, I'm just here to drop off the present.  I saw your son and he's marvelous.  What a blessing. Unfortunately, I have another appointment.  No need to see me off, you have a lot of guests. I'll let myself out.  Send my regards to Kim Tan."  I rambled as I kissed both her cheeks and hurriedly turned to go.

 

Then, I slammed to a solid wall.  Only it's not concrete.  With a sinking feeling, I looked up and stared at eyes that I've been dreaming about since that day a decade ago.

 

 

 

"Hello Chiseki." Young Do's deep voice greeted me.