Date?

Chiseki

The next day, Young Do and I agreed to meet at the old noodle house we used to frequent in high school. It was a bit awkward at first.  We just met yesterday after ten long years and suddenly we're almost engaged. Everything seemed unreal to me. Young Do took my hand across the table when I sat down.  I tried taking it back conscious of the other people.  But he held it firmly.

 

"Chiseki, although things happened unexpectedly between us I don't regret it. I'm actually glad it has been resolved decisively. I might have to thank Yato."

 

"Young Do, speaking of Yato, I need to tell you something.  He is a dangerous man. After I left school and went to study abroad, I met him there.  I thought it was coincidence.  He later told me, he knew everything about my family but said not to worry because we are the same.  He also comes from burakumin.  We are yakuza."

 

I looked at Young Do to see his reaction. If he was surprised by this he didn't show it.  His face remained impassive. I continued. "I have three older brothers, you've met two of them, Ryuu and Yuta."

 

Young Do was astonished, "Ryuu hyung is your brother? How...? That is why Rae Won wouldn't talk about it despite my threats.  And Yuta!  When you disappeared, I tried to meet Yuta because you called him onii-chan. He is a hard a man to meet. He moves in a different circle.  Even there, it is said that he's a very private man. I wasn't able to find a single friend of his. I never made the connection that they were brothers.  They are a legend in Apgujeong Academy.  No one thought they were brothers, they shared the same family name but looked so different from each other every one thought it was mere coincidence.  Then your eldest brother must be Hideki."

 

"Yes. He's now the Chairman of Toma Corporation, Secretary Lee's former boss. By the way, she is now Yuta's wife."

 

Young Do laughed, "This is strange, I've always felt that she's more a sister to you than a mother. And now she really is your sister.  I didn't think your brother is the marrying type, too cold."

 

"He does seem like that huh? You should see him with mother. He's a completely different person."

 

 "What I would like to know is why your identity needs to be hidden. You have a powerful father and brothers to protect you."

 

"My father has numerous enemies. Blood is the only thing we rely on our world. Despite my family's precautions, the moment I stepped out in public, they discovered my existence.  Soon after, Yato enrolled in the same school. He is a son of a powerful yakuza family.  They wanted to establish an alliance with Toma Corporation by marrying me to Yato.  When I left Korea, he even followed me abroad. He posed no threat then and was allowed to be friends with me.  All those years, he is aware I already have someone in my heart but he was willing to wait. We were still young, he believed I will get over it. He thought that given time, I will learn to forget and love him instead."

 

"Yesterday, confirmed my suspicions, he always had his people following me. How did he know I was attending Eun Sang's party? Or that I was in your hotel room? I didn't tell him any of that. He is not going to sit around and wait for you to marry me. He won't do anything to me. It would mean an all-out-war between two families.  It's you I'm concerned about. You are fair game."

 

 

 

"Let me worry about that. Now about your brothers..." was all he said.  He dismissed Yato as a threat and wanted to know more about the best way to woo my brothers.