Surprise! (Kyungsoo/girl!Lay)

EXO Drabbles

Title: Surprise!
Pairing: D.O./(girl)Lay
Rating: G
Word Count: 673
Summary: Yixin throws a surprise birthday party for her boyfriend.
Author's Note: There is a larger oneshot planned for this, about how these two get together.


Humming happily to herself, Yixin pins the last of the streamers to a white wall. Her boyfriend's apartment has never looked so festive! Behind her, Zitao and Yifan are slowly blowing up balloons, each new balloon interrupted by complaints.

As her bodyguard, Zitao is required to follow her around regardless of her plans. Yifan, on the other hand, has been ordered by her father, the Chinese ambassador to South Korea, to also follow her around for the day to supervise. Yixin scoffs. Her father knew perfectly well that today she has been planning on celebrating Kyungsoo's birthday, he just wants to make sure they keep a respectful distance. Her father is both old fashioned and overprotective of his only child and daughter.

A sudden commotion at the door reveals a group of Kyungsoo's friends, most of whom are holding presents, though Jongdae is carrying a cake. With the help of Baekhyun and Chanyeol, Jongdae had promised to bake a cake for the party, which Yixin had gladly taken him up on. In addition to those three, there is also Minseok, Luhan, and Sehun; who are all greeting Yixin with giant smiles.

“I'm so glad you thought to throw a party for Kyungsoo!” Jongdae exclaims, carefully setting the cake on the table. “He never would have let us do this, but he can't get mad at his girlfriend!”

Yixin grins mischievously, “Well, he never told me that I couldn't throw him a party. It's part of why I kept it a secret.”

She greets each of the guests, directing them to last minute tasks, and ignores Yifan's look of horror when she sends Luhan his way. It hasn't escaped Yixin's attention how Luhan is always sending the taller male flirtatious looks, desperately trying to show his interest.

They barely finish in time, now scrambling for hiding places after Yixin receives a text from Joonmyun, informing them that they are minutes away. The older male has been working with Jongin to keep Kyungsoo busy, and had dragged him off somewhere Yixin wasn't sure of.

Hiding behind the entryway door, careful not be squished when it opens, she can't fight the chuckle that irrupts at Kyungsoo's response to seeing his newly decorated apartment.

“What the hell happened here?!”

“Surprise,” she says softly, approaching him from the side to wrap her arms around his slim frame. “Happy Birthday.” This sets off a chain reaction of everyone else jumping out of their hiding places, and screaming at Kyungsoo who spares them only a glance before looking back at Yixin.

“Let me guess, you're responsible for this?” Kyungsoo asks, smiling fondly.

Yixin nods, “Is this okay? Jongdae said you never let the guys throw you a party, so I wasn't sure if you would like it or not.”

“Of course I wouldn't let them! They'd probably burn the place down before I even got here! I trust you to safely put together a party,” he joked.

Yixin's smile brightens. “Good! I'd hate to disappoint you, and on your birthday no less.”

“I don't think you could ever disappoint me, if anything this just makes me even more grateful that you're my girlfriend.” Kyungsoo reachs up to sweep some hair out of her eyes and behind her ear. He leans up slightly and presses a short chaste kiss against her lips, then leans away again just as quickly.

Someone clears his throat next to the two.

“Yixin,” Yifan warns, eying the two disapprovingly.

“Yes, yes. I know, Yifan. We should be getting the party started anyway, so come on,” Yixin grouses, pulling away from her boyfriend and instead intertwining their fingers together.

“You know I'm going to have to report back to your father once we get back,” Yifan defends.

“And you know that I could also find plenty of opportunities for you to be alone with Luhan,” Yixin threatens, enjoying how pale Yifan's face becomes.

Kyungsoo tightens his hold on Yixin's hand, effectively distracting her from starting an argument. She has better things to focus on than stupid Yifan.