You're Not Alone (Xiumin/girl!Luhan)

EXO Drabbles

Title: You're Not Alone
Pairing: (girl)Luhan/Xiumin
Rating: G
Word Count: 1595
Summary: As the oldest, Luhan feels responsible for keeping her sisters in line, especially with her parents still living in China. Her boyfriend, Minseok, thinks she's putting too many responsibilities on her shoulders.
Author's Note: Continuation of Meet the Family, Two Peas in a Pod, and the Tao-Centric fic.


Luhan knows Minseok is working today, but she really needs someone to talk to, and her boyfriend fits the bill perfectly.

When she first moved to Korea with her two sisters, she hadn't anticipated being here so long. But as she acclimated to the culture and learned the language, she grew to love living in Seoul. Yifan and Zitao seemed to share her love of their current home, and as much as they missed their parents (which Luhan had to admit wasn't much), they weren't in any rush to leave.

As the eldest, Luhan was responsible for receiving their parents' monthly calls checking in on them. The conversation was always the same. How are you? Are you sisters still behaving? Do you need more money? But this time there was an unexpected question: Have you been thinking about coming back home yet?

When she first moved to Korea with her sisters, they had made a deal with their parents that they would move back to China as each one of them graduated high school. In exchange, her parents would fund the plane rides and pay for their living expenses. An easy task for her parents who headed a multimillion dollar beauty company back in China. Unfortunately, being a daughter of business tycoons meant high expectations from the two responsible for her birth.

After discovering her preference for the technologically advanced city, Luhan had convinced her parents that both her and Yifan should be allowed to stay with Zitao until the youngest had graduated. To watch over her of course, and make sure that she was well protected. Because, as it turns out, Luhan was just as overprotective of her sisters as others make her out to be.

However, Zitao is now a Junior, getting ready to enter her last year of high school. Which means moving back to China soon.

Except, they are now all dating (which Luhan admittedly keeps from her parents' knowing), what with Zitao and Yixing finally going out.

At least Yixing is someone her parents will most likely approve of, being Chinese and from a well to do family himself. If her relationship lasted, and Yixing wanted to move back to China with her, Zitao would have little problems gaining their parents approval.

Luhan, on the other hand, isn't as lucky. Minseok isn't Chinese, nor is he from high society. He comes from a Korean family that works hard to earn what they need, but has strong family ties with each other. On days like today, Luhan isn't embarrassed to admit that she loves Minseok's family more than her own (with the exception of Yifan and Zitao), and often tells her boyfriend such.

Even worse off is Yifan, who's dating Chanyeol. A tall, Korean girl who also comes from a hard working family. That's a nightmare in itself that Luhan doesn't want to think about, as she is sure the blame will fall on her. Certainly not on Yifan, who Luhan is convinced will never return to China, therefore not intending to confront their parents herself.

Finally reaching the entrance to the small hole-in-the-wall coffee shop Minseok works at, Luhan pushes open the door and welcomes the strong scent of caffeine. Minseok is standing at the register today, and sees Luhan as soon as she walks in. His warm smile upon seeing her quickly turning to a concerned frown.

“Hello, Lu,” he greets, reaching across the counter to grab ahold of her hand.

“Hi,” Luhan greets back. “You wouldn't happen to be going on break soon, would you?”

“My break should have started fifteen minutes ago, so I can take it now. Everything okay?” as Minseok asks this, he rubs his thumb in comforting circles along the underside of her wrist. It's a trick he learned early on in their relationship that seemed to relax her, regardless of what particular emotion she was hyped up on at the time.

“Oh, you know, the usual. Today was parent check-in day.” Luhan's voice comes out more bitter than she means it too.

Minseok hums in understanding, and lets go of her wrist. “Why don't you find us a seat? I'll be right over.”

Luhan does just that, finding a table that isn't near any of the other few customers loitering around. She ignores the inquisitive stares sent her way, and waits patiently for Minseok to arrive, knowing it will take a minute or two. Because, just like the other times she showed up when he was working, Minseok always took the time to prepare her favorite mocha cappuccino.

He slides into the chair next to her, passing over the cup as well, and curls an arm around her shoulders to pull her close. Luhan moves even closer to him, burying her face into the juncture between his neck and shoulders so all she can smell is coffee and faint traces of musky cologne.

“They want to know when we're moving back to China,” Luhan brakes, voice surprisingly calm for how upset she is inside.

From next to her, Minseok tenses. “I thought that you weren't moving back until after Zitao graduated high school?”

“That's right, which is a little more than a year at this point.”

“It's still a year, Luhan. Besides, moving back won't be the end of the world.”

Luhan snorts, “I don't want to move back. I want to stay here, with you.”

Minseok squirmes a little, and she knows it's because she embarrassed him. He always seems to become uncomfortable when she showers him with affection, particularly when it involved compliments. So Luhan makes sure to throw in as many compliments as possible, enjoying her boyfriend's modesty.

“You know, for as often as you say you don't want to go home, it doesn't sound like you consider it an option. Which it is, because you could stay in Korea if you wanted to, Luhan.”

“I can't leave Zitao to face our parents by herself, she wouldn't know what to do. I don't even think she understands everything that's going on!”

“That's because you baby her,” Minseok chides. “You don't give her enough credit for being responsible. As you said earlier, she's going to be graduating high school soon, so she's almost an adult.”

Luhan moans, “Where did the time go! When we first moved to Korea, she was still a short middle school student, but now I'm the shortest sibling!”

“What did you expect? You've been living here for over five years, of course Zitao was going to grow up during that time.”

That's right, she has been living in Korea for over five years now. And now her stay is about to end, if her parents had their way.

“Look,” Minseok says, interrupting her inner misery, “As you said, you still have another year to sort this out. So let's not think about it anymore today. Besides, your drink is getting cold.” He pulls back from her so that only his arm is still around her, clinging to her waist.

Luhan laughs, “Okay. I wouldn't want to ruin you're perfectly made coffee.” She smiles at him and takes a sip of the still hot beverage, when the combination of bitter coffee and sweet chocolate run over her tongue. Minseok makes the best mocha cappuccinos.

As she continues to sip at her drink, careful not to burn herself, she takes to admiring her boyfriend's profile as he stares out the window. From his recently dyed light brown hair, to his light pink lips and his single eyelids. Luhan is particularly fond of his eyes, which are a dark brown and always warm when directed towards her.

“What are you looking at?” Minseok asks with a smile, bringing Luhan back to reality.

“Just admiring the view,” she grins, enjoying when his checks flush a dark red.

“I think between the two of us, I have the better view.” Now it's Luhan's turn to blush.

“Anyway, I had planned on giving this to you later, but seeing as how you're here now,” Minseok trails off, placing a small rectangular box on the table in front of her. When all Luhan does is look at it, her boyfriend ushers her to open it.

The box is smooth in her hand, clearly meant for jewelry, and when finally open reveals a simple looking bracelet. It's a series of silver chains interlaced with each other, decorated with pretty blue beads evenly spaced out.

“Whoa, this is really pretty!” Luhan exclaims, eyes shooting up to Minseok for an explanation

“Did you really forget what today is? It's been four years, Luhan.”

Four years. . . their anniversary.

“I can't believe I forgot.” Luhan whispers, vision starting to blur.

“Hey now, don't be upset. You have a lot on your mind right now, so I forgive you,” Minseok's hand comes forward and brushs back strands of her hair, then lingers on her shoulder.

Luhan nods, brushing back her tears, and eyes the bracelet again. It doesn't exactly match her green themed outfit . . . but she really wants to wear it. “Help me put it on,” she demands.

Minseok grins, and does just that, carefully adjusting it so that it fits perfectly around her wrist. It looks even better now that she's wearing it, Luhan thinks.

“I love you,” she blurts, eyes only on him.

“I love you too.”

When Minseok smiles at her, Luhan feels a warmth in her chest grow immensely. She may not have solved her problems dealing with her parents, but for now she is happy. And that is enough.