Of Playgrounds and Challenges

Cat and Dog
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wendy stared at her body in the mirror after she showered. She sighed at what she started to think was puppy fat. She pinched at her stomach and then at her neck. She turned around and cupped her bum, lifting to see what her body would look like if she had the same proportions as the dancers she saw.

    Her tail wagged a bit, as she looked down at what she believed was her own small chest. Then the dangerous thoughts started to roll in, and she looked back at her face. She sighed and thought I’m nothing like those girls. Maybe if I was prettier...

She dressed in a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie. She didn’t bother to greet Chen as she passed him in the hallway, which for some reason bothered the cat.

    He watched the puppy walk out the backdoor on this cloudy morning and sit in the middle of the lawn. Her ears were down and her tail ceased from wagging, as if they both were taking a break. Chen thought that Wendy really looked like a normal human girl for a moment before both their ears raised to ear the sound of car alarm going off in the distance.

    It wasn’t long before Wendy laid down, picking at the grass. She stared at the sky and wondered about Lisa. She wanted to try to find her again, but something told her that Lisa would have been upset at her if she did. Wendy wanted to scratch Kai for the things he tried to pull last night, which Wendy realized was a dumb move on her part.

    Then she thought of the dancers and pouted. She didn’t know why, but the image struck a chord in her. The dancers were surrounded by other dancers, looking beautiful and having a great time. She wanted to look beautiful and have a great time with other people, but Chen didn’t like her and Joonmyeon was her human and danced poorly.

    Wendy felt cold as she remembered how Chen hugged her two nights ago. She wondered; if she was prettier, would Chen like her more? She wondered if Joonmyeon thought she was pretty; he was always telling her she was cute and adorable, but pretty is so much different!

    Wendy closed her eyes and sighed out of her nose.

🐱 🐶

    Chen wasn’t staring out the window, watching and making sure that his housemate wasn’t going to sink into the ground and disappear. Nope, he wasn’t making sure that if Kai came back, he would call him out on his actions. Nah.

    He was also knitting while glancing out the window. He sighed a lot at the thoughts he had of Wendy and how much of a nuisance she’s been. He just wanted a normal simple life with his humans, but nope. Joonmyeon just had to bring home this nosey mess. Sure, Chen understood why Joonmyeon did it, but he felt a bit insulted. Didn’t he think that maybe Chen didn’t want another female in the house?

She was throwing grass the side when he glanced up again. He started a new row.

If it wasn’t for Kai, she’d still have that stupid grin on her face, he bitterly  though, envisioning what sharp objects might make the stray cat sweat. He glanced up again at the girl and wondered if she... was feeling something about that night.

They didn’t talk about it. It was something that both of them didn’t want to discuss. Wendy kept to herself during the day, which was unusual, and clung to Joonmyeon as soon as he got home, which was not unusual. Chen, however, was rather annoyed by the quiet that was now in the house.

Their human didn’t show any concern, which seemed to bother Chen. Joonmyeon is not an idiot when it comes to the puppy’s emotional reactions, but Wendy was putting up a great act. Chen concluded that she didn’t want to worry their human. So why didn’t Chen tell their human about what happened? He was having a hard time allowing himself an answer, but maybe it was along the lines that he thought that seeing her this depressing wasn’t as bad as hearing her cry; he knew that Wendy put Joonmyeon high on a pedestal. He wanted to keep it that way.

Setting down his knitting, he ruffled his hair, groaning in annoyance. His ears twitched a few times as his tail swayed slowly. He looked down at the gray fur and grasped it, talking to it as if it has a mind of it’s own. “You have to stop wrapping around things.”

He thought about the feeling he had when she was in his arms that night. He blushed at the memory, and his ears flattened into his hair as he put down his knitting and whined into his hands.

When he stopped, he watched as he saw the puppy pull her arms back and stretch, arching her back and letting out the accompanied groan that came to it. His ears were front and listening as he took note of the sound. If Kai ever touched her, I’ll scratch him myself... but... If I-

His tail raised high and flicked around; he watched her settle back into her position and he gulped. He shook his head and quickly got up. He didn’t need to think like Kai. Nope. He wasn’t a low stray.

    He walked out the front door and approached the puppy. Wendy didn’t even seem to notice him, even when he was right at her head, looking down at her.

She jumped when he shook her shoulder with his foot and barked at him out of reaction. They both looked at each in mind surprise before Wendy sat up and hugged her knees.

Chen slowly relax before commanding the puppy to get up and put her shoes on.

“We’re not allowed to leave the house,” she stated with a pitiful tone in her voice.

“We’ll leave a note,” Chen reassured as he watched her get to her feet, her ears half hiding in her hair and her tail curved low just behind her legs. He made her follow him into the house as he grabbed their shoes and made them put them on.

🐱 🐶

Wendy had never been to the pet park before and was doing everything to prevent herself from wiggling about in joy at meeting new pets. She see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter