Of Ebelskivers and Confusing Compliments

Cat and Dog
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy enjoyed cooking breakfast; it was a guilty pleasure of hers.

Today, however, she was taking a big step in making ebelskivers. She saw the pan lying around a few times, and begged Joonmyeon to tell her what it was used for. Ever since then, she was on a hunt for a recipe to make them since Joonmyeon was one of those y humans who didn’t own a single cookbook (at least that’s what she concluded; she wasn’t going to check the basement). Almost forgetting about the internet, Wendy was up early in the morning to fully prepare.

Too excited, she was very gleeful when she heat the pan up and dropped some batter in before adding a small amount of cinnamon apples in the middle. Covering it with  some batter, she waited for a minute before turning the ball upside down in the pockets of the pan. Practically giggling at how well she was doing, she almost burned ; a little to impatient to taste it.

She danced a bit, her tail going a mile a minute as she danced in the kitchen.

“So, so good!” she moaned out, wiggling her bum as she danced in a circle. She quickly started another batch, realizing she’ll probably need another apple to make the filling. She didn’t realize how much batter there was!

So much batter, she thought as she worked on her fourth batch a few minutes later.

As she was spooning in some more batter on her fifth batch, her ear twitched as she heard a louder than usual foot step, and looked over to see Chen, standing in the archway drying his wet hair with his hand. Her tail wagged a bit at the sight of him, but her eyes trailed down.

He wasn’t wearing a shirt.

She recalled seeing him with his shirt off once before; so it was a shock to see so much skin. As she stared, she contemplated if she should stop. The scent of his body wash seemed to overtake the scent of the ebelskivers-

“Ah!” she jumped and flipped the little stuffed pancake balls, pouting a bit when she saw the one side was darker than she was aiming for. She mumbled something about shirtless cats are dangerous as she mixed the batter again.

“Whatcha making?” he asked from his spot, pulling the shirt in his hands over his head. The dog couldn’t tell if she heard a smirk in his tone or not.

Wendy took a deep breath before answering, “Food.”

“What kind of food?”

“European breakfast food,” she smiled, gulping and failing at trying not to think of the shirtless cat.

Chen snorted; his tail swayed back and forth as he approached her, “Is that so?”

Wendy didn’t expect to feel his chin on her shoulder, so she quickly stuffed a cooled ebelskiver in his mouth. To say he was surprised was an understatement, but at least he took his chin off her shoulder.

“Oh, wow,” he said as stood next to the dog, watching her cook. She didn’t mind him watching before, but gosh, why did he have to watch her now? His scent is really strong... she thought as she started a new batch. “This is really good. What’s in the middle?”

“Apples and cinnamon with some brown sugar,” she recited, her tail shaking.

“Oh, what kind of apples? Is it-”

“Granny smith,” she answered, putting in some of the filling. “Your favorite.”

Wendy saw from the corner of her eye that he was leaning against the counter on his elbows, giving her a toothy grin, “You know my favorite apple.”

“You don’t know mine.”

“You love Golden Delicious because of it’s soft texture.”

Wendy hummed, “Okay, so you know.”

Chen chuckled before he grabbed another ebelskiver, “So why did you make so many? Are you having friends over?”

As she explained that she didn’t properly read the recipe beforehand, Wendy kept thinking how she liked how this moment was. She wasn’t going to lie, but she liked Chen’s attention on her; it made her feel... something. It didn’t help either that Chen was looking at her; like intently staring at her. She tried to wipe her face, wondering if she was being delusional that he was just staring at a spot on her face and not her entire portrait.

“I like it when you cook. You remind me of Jieun,” Chen nodded, grabbing another. She blushed; and now he’s complimenting her? He was cuddling her yesterday, and now a compliment. Is something wrong with him? She wasn’t complaining, but she was concerned by his change of demeanor. He cleared his throat and quickly changed the topic, “So how did you come across this pan?”

“I just found it in the back of the cabinet and have been eyeing it for a while,” She explained as flipped the ebelskivers, “Joonmyeon doesn’t cook to often, so I can only assume that Jiuem did all the cooking.”

Chen chuckled, unable to stop taking more, “Oh yeah, one hundred present. Jiuen took cooking classes in her free time because Joonmyeon . She said that he wouldn’t survive long if he cooked all his own food.”

Wendy laughed, somehow believing that, “I bet... so she made ebelskivers?”

“S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter