Of Tail Twitches and Catnip

Cat and Dog
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joonmyeon woke up to Wendy’s tail slapping against his thigh. He yawned and watched as her ears turned towards him; her attention was outside the window.

    Joonmyeon yawned and tried get Wendy to give him a morning kiss, but she couldn’t stop staring outside. She wiggled out of his grasp before he finally sat up and hugged against her.

    He looked out to his back yard and saw a familiar face.

    Chen rarely went outside on his own, but sitting in the lawn chair next to him was a stray tan cat. Chen’s puffy tail lightly flickered as he conversed with the stray, who laughed loudly. Wendy made some kind of whine, her ears pulled back and her tail wagging hard.

    “Did you want to go say hi?”

    Wendy pouted, “Chen told me to stay in the house... but I really, really do!”

    Joonmyeon chuckled before getting up, taking off his shirt before going to the bathroom to shower. When he was done, he still saw Wendy looking outside the window, whining a bit louder.

    Her attention was snapped to her human when he called her name. When he jerked his head to the side, bidding his puppy to come with him, Wendy started to get excited. All she wanted to do was meet Chen’s friends.

    Wendy ran down to the kitchen, impatiently waiting for Joonmyeon to open the door to the backyard. She was practically jumping up and down, catching glimpses of the two cats outside. She hasn’t really met any other pets in the neighborhood and was eager to get started!

    Joonmyeon teased Wendy when he turned the locks, pretending he didn’t know how to unlock the door.

    “Joonie!” she cried, pulling on his arm, “Stop teasing me!”

    Laughing at her, he opened the door towards him, letting Wendy run out to the yard.

    She happily ran to the fence and back before remembering why she wanted to go out. She jogged to Chen and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, nuzzling into his neck, her tail wagging high. “Hi Chen!”

Chen’s gray ear twitched as he tensed. Last time Wendy nuzzled him was a few days ago and the thought of it still came to Chen’s mind a bit. His tail stuck out straight as he felt her stop her cuddle fest before looking at his guest.

She let go and was just about to rush him when Chen grabbed Wendy’s arm and pulled her back, fighting her urge to want to jump on him, “Wendy, no! Go back in the house!”

Wendy whined as she stepped back to shake his grip off, “But Joonie let me out!”

“Then go back inside!”

“Why can’t I meet your friend?” Wendy asked, easily shaking her arm away. “I just want to say hi!”

And before Chen could even retort, he watched as his old friend was being hugged in an awkward position. He watched as his friend tensed up before making eye contact with him.

Wendy followed her nose and sniffed at Chen’s friend’s neck before wrinkling her nose and stepping off.

“He doesn’t smell good,” she whispered before sitting down in the lawn chair next to Chen.

“You shouldn’t touch people you don’t know without permission,” Chen reprimanded, flicking her nose. He saw this action done before last time he was at a park and just decided to do it with her. She withdrew a bit and rubbed it.

“Then i can touch you?”

Chen turned beet red as his friend laughed at the phrase. Sure, Wendy didn’t mean it in the context they both were thinking, but it was still funny to think.

“Go back inside.”

“Chen, it’s cool,” the stray said as he relaxed a bit, “She can stay a little. It smells like your human is making breakfast.”

Chen wanted to make a comment, but his friend looked at Wendy and put on his charming smile, “I’m Kai.”

“Wendy,” she happily greeted, her tail wagging, “Where do you live that they don’t bathe you?”

Kai chuckled, “I live outside. I don’t live in any home.”

“Why not?”

“I’ve always been an stray,” Kai explained, raking his eyes down the puppy’s figure, a bit interested.

    Wendy didn’t seem to be bothered by Kai’s eyes, taking some time to wrap around the idea, “You should try being a pet. It’s nice to have a house.”

    Chuckling, Kai leaned forward and said, “I wouldn’t mind having a house if you were my house mate. Tell me about it.”

    Chen squinted at Kai’s words, his ear twitched in annoyance. He saw Kai eyeing Wendy’s neck as she joyfully explain the pros about being an indoor pet. He watched his friend’s eyes glide up down her figure, which made Chen curious about her outfit.

    She was wearing a blue checkered dress that stopped above her knees and exposed her neck and shoulders. Kai’s ear twitched again in annoyance as he tail started to flick faster. He didn’t like Kai staring at his housemate like that.

    You just can’t help yourself. You have all those strays out there and now you want someone from the inside. Chen’s mood was sinking as he burned holes at his friend.

    When Kai glanced at him, Chen glared hard. As Wendy kept enthusiastically explaining the difference between the funs of having a squeaky toy and a puzzle toy, Kai kept eye contact with him. Chen saw him smirk before glancing down twice.

    Chen looked down and saw his tail had wrapped around Wendy’s ankle, who didn't take any notice. A bit shocked by that, Chen let go and faced away from the two, trying to hide his face. He saw Kai smirked out of the corner of his eye. Go get ran over by truck, he thought bitterly.

    Sulking a bit, Chen left Wendy, who was now getting into the dynamics of cuddling with her human, to fend for herself as he ran back into the house.

    He pouted at the sight of Joonmyeon making pancakes, who smiled at his cat’s entrance before mimicking his expression. “What’s wrong kitty?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter