Chapter 8

Say Yes

 

 

 

Jessica and Mr. Jung are sitting next to each other while they were watching a movie.  Somehow, the atmosphere feels weird. They’ve never been alone with each other for a long time now. Jessica knows she has been treating his dad badly ever since she came back but that’s because she didn’t want to be too attached with him. She believes that her life is in LA.

They are watching “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”. Sooyoung and Jessica went to the DVD store earlier but they didn’t get to buy anything.

Earlier in town…

“What do you wanna watch?” Sooyoung asks Jessica while scanning the DVDs in front of her.

“I wanna watch ‘Friends with Benefits’. I’m so in love with Justin Timberlake.” Jessica keeps jumping up and down.

“Ewww.” Sooyoung said. Jessica glared at her.

“No offense to your Justin Timberlake but I’m pretty sure it’s not your father’s type of movie.”

Jessica turned her back to Sooyoung, mumbling to herself. “But I really want to watch that movie.”

Sooyoung smiled at Jessica’s childishness. “Hey Sica, look at me.”

Jessica ignored her.

“Sica, look at me or else…”

“Else what?” Jessica challenged her.

“I’m going to make you eat cucumbers. Lots and lots of cucumbers.”

Jessica screamed then turned around quickly. “Yuck. You’re disgusting.”

“Now, listen to me.” Sooyoung holds both of Jessica’s hands and looks straight at Jessica’s eyes. “I know you don’t have a good relationship with your father. I know you don’t wanna be here in the first place. But can you please act nice towards your father as long as you’re here. He really missed you.”

Jessica is now lost at Sooyoung’s eyes. When she realized she’s been staring, she told Sooyoung that the only movie that they both enjoyed watching together is “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” which they’ve watched a thousand times.

“Then, you can just watch that. C’mon, we wasted our time here.” She pulled Jessica out of the store. Jessica realized that Sooyoung is still holding her left hand. She looks at it as she is being dragged on the streets. Sooyoung who is a few steps ahead of Sica also realized that she’s still holding Jessica’s hands. She loosened her grip, attempting to remove her grip without being too awkward. But Jessica holds her hand tighter. Sooyoung smiled while she continues to pull Jessica along.

Before they reached the car that was parked two blocks away from the store, they were still holding hands but they are already walking side by side. They were actually both conscious with their hands and they’re both trying to avoid each other’s face and looking at the opposite sides.

 

**

 

Both Mr. Jung and Jessica have watched the movie a lot of times. They’ve even memorized the lines from the movie by heart.

“Oh, Harry is so cute back then.”

“You used to have a crush on him.” Mr, Jung remembered the times when Jessica hanged a poster of Harry Potter on her room.

“Used to, dad.”

“I’ve heard you had a couple of boyfriends when you were in the States.”

“Who told you? Mom, right?”

“Actually, that was just a guess.” He chuckled. “Am I right?”

“I don’t know. I mean I don’t even consider them as serious relationships.”

“So you’re a playgirl?” He’s teasing his daughter.

“No, I’m not!”

“Calm down, honey. I know. I believe you. And I want you to choose the right guy, the one who won’t hurt my princess.”

Jessica smiled to herself. She couldn’t help but think about what would he say if she told him that there’s a possibility that she likes a girl and that girl may be his favorite employee.

Mr. Jung changed the topic. “So when are you going back?”

Jessica’s face is serious now seeing her father wears a sad expression on his face. “I’m still here dad. Let’s just talk about that some other time.” She smiled to her dad.

Mr. Jung smiled. “It’s just that I don’t want to miss you again.”

“I know dad. Me too.” As of now, Jessica knows she has let her guard down. She has began a relationship with her father again. She knows she’s still be leaving but now, she’s just happy here.

 

 

 ***

 

Sooyoung sees her dad for the first time this week. His dad has been busy in  town managing the supermarket.

“Dad, I miss you.” She went to hug her dad.

“How’s everything?” Her father asked.

Sooyoung smiled. “Everything’s fine. Really fine.”

Sooyoung’s dad noticed her unusual happiness. “What’s that smile? The last time I saw that was a year ago, when you’re still with Tiffany.”

“What?! Why is everyone saying that? This is the same smile I give when I see you, when Sunny cooks my favorite dish, when I’m playing with the kids and even when I’m talking with the horses.”

“It’s different. You never smile to me like that. You’re smiling like an idiot now.”

“No, dad.” She hits her dad on his arm.

“And you’re being violent again.” Sooyoung’s dad continues to tease his daughter like that.

“Sooyoung’s in love, I see.”

“No, dad!” She hits her dad again. This time it’s really hard, causing her dad pain. “Awww, that hurts.”

“Your fault.”

 

****

 

Sooyoung went down at midnight to eat her midnight snack. She remembered that Jessica and Mr. Jung is having dvd marathons. She went to check on them. Mr. Jung heard the sound of walking and waited to see who the person is.

“Sooyoung, you’re still up.”

“I was hungry.” Sooyoung giggled. She noticed Sica sleeping on the couch.

“She fell asleep?”

“Yeah, she loves sleeping more than anything.”

“As expected with the princess.” Sooyoung smiled. “Are you going to wake her up?”

“Good luck to me. It’s really hard to wake her up. I guess I need to carry her to her room.”

Sooyoung was holding a glass of water that time. She put it on top of the coffee table. “I’ll do it, Uncle. I’ll carry her. Just rest.”

“Thank you, Sooyoung.”

Sooyoung carefully lifted Jessica from the couch. She thought Jessica is going to wake up but instead she snuggled closer to her.

“I didn’t realize it until now but you look good together,”

“Uncle, I’m not suitable for a princess.” She said goodnight to Mr. Jung and carried Jessica back to her room. She placed her carefully on the bed. Jessica hugged her pillow tightly and continued her sleep. Sooyoung watched her for a while. She sat on the edge of the bed and fixed Jessica’s hair. “Your hair should not block your beautiful face.”

Then she left the room. Jessica smiled when she left while her eyes is still closed, She heard what Sooyoung said as she was awaken when Sooyoung put her down on the bed.

 

*****

 

The next day, Sunny is talking to Tiffany on the phone again. They’ve been talking regularly these past few days.

“Do you remember your favorite person in high school?”

“Huh? Who --?” She finally got who Tiffany is referring too. “Please, Fany. You know that she’s my least favorite person on earth.”

“Anyway, she told me she’s coming back there for a vacation.”

“And do what? Hook up with the guys she hasn’t hooked up with in the past?!”

“Are you excited to see her?!”

“What are you talking about, Tiffany? Of all people, you know how much I hate that girl.”

“Okay, okay. Anyway, I’m coming back with her.”

Sunny almost dropped the phone. “What? You’re coming back?”

“Yup. I’m coming back with Hyomin.”

Sunny suddenly thought about Jessica and Sooyoung. She’s expecting some drama to come into the ranch soon. And also, she has to deal with the person she hates so much, Hyomin.



 

 

 

I was supposed to update last night but then there was some problem with my internet connection.

And yeah, Hyomin won the votes. Sunbyung couple, it is then. :)

Thank you for your amazing and sweet comments.

I do reply to everyone so just read my replies. :))