Something Suspicious

Dangerous Love
Me and Mr. Bang, or should I say Youngguk, walked through the cherry blossom path in front of the hospital. He told me stories of how he created the company and how his didn’t approve of his profession at first, it was quite funny. As I talked to him, at least at that time, I forgot all my pain. “Mrs. Wilkes!” I turned around startle as Youngguk was cut off. It was my maid Sunghee, she wore all black which threw me off because of the hot weather. When she finally caught up, I could see her face was red and tears stained her cheeks. She looked down seeming to not be able to bare the words she was about to say. I put my hands on her shoulders “What’s wrong?” She starting crying “Jenna . . . Jenna . . . she’s-” I knew what she was going to say but I felt like I would somehow be able to change it if I didn’t believe it “What?” Sunghee put her hands over her face “dead.” My hands dropped off her shoulders as I looked towards the ground, I felt the tears well in my eyes.“No” I whispered, “it can’t be.” I looked at Sunghee now with obvious tears on my face “take me to her.” Sunghee, Youngguk, and I pulled up in front of a church-like building. I saw many familiar faces all dressed in black walking inside. I ran past them wanting to see Jenna for myself. As I reached the front of the room I froze, their laying in a coffin was a lifeless Jenna, next to her was her child crying to the top of his lungs. I walked towards her inch by inch, almost falling. “Jenna?” I whispered. Sunghee walked close behind me stifling. I placed a hand on hers, suddenly my head began shaking wildly “No, no, no! This-this can’t be!” I fell to the floor next to Jung. He fell into my arms. “Ahjumma!” he yelled, hugging me tightly. I returned the hug crying like a maniac, patting his head “gwenchana, gwenchana” as I whispered the words, I regretted everything I did. I felt like it was all my fault, I hated myself for this I walked out of the church holding Jung’s hand, I turned to him and picked him up. “You wanna come live with this Ahjumma?” I tried to use the happiest voice I could manage. He slowly nodded, I put him down with a light smile then walked to the car. Before I could put him in he grabbed my hand. “Ahjumma?” I smiled turning to him “Huh?” He looked at me like his life depended on it “Will my mommy ever wake up?” The words hit me like a knife, but I tried to brush it off lifting him into the car. “I don’t know” was all I could manage. I arrived back at the hospital thirty minutes later after dropping Jung and Youngguk off at his house and bidding goodbye to Sunghee. The first thing I went to do was see my son. It was pretty late so no one would stop me. I walked into Haneul’s room in a depressed manner, I felt like my life was garbage. Soon I would have to leave the hospital, then I would finally be able to see Haneul whenever I wanted. I stared at his weak figure and thought of Jenna, I fell to the floor. I curled up into a tiny ball and cried, cried all the pain away from hurting my son, losing my husband, getting Jenna killed, making Jung a foster child. Why me? Why did this life have to be mine? I whispered a pray to god until I drifted off to sleep. I woke up around 4 in the morning and started bursting into tears again, I had a dream about Jenna. DREAM I was in the Korean Folk Village in a hanbok. I saw Haneul running in circles with Jung smiling, then I looked in front of me. It was Jenna, she was smiling. She held up a fist “Ma’am, fighting!” I ran to hug her but she disappeared, reappearing behind me. I stared at her in confusion “How’d you- Why’d you-” She pointed to the sky “It’s their rules.” An overwhelming sadness flew over me “So . . . you’re really” Jenna nodded her head “dead.” She walked closer to me and looked behind me at her son “Take care of him, everything’s going to be alright I promise.” Then she disappeared into the air going to somewhere unknown. HOSPITAL I woke up, this time in a better mood, and heard a knock on the door. “Come in” I yell through a sleepy voice. Youngguk came in smiling from ear-to-ear “You wanna go for a walk?” I smiled slowly getting up “Just what I need.” We decided to go to the roof, where there weren’t any people. We stood sipping coffee and staring at the beautiful view of the city. Youngguk placed his coffee on the side of him “When will you be able to leave?” My coffee was also on the side of me as I stretched my arms “probably two or three days.” He stared at the news on the billboard across the street “Will you come back to work?” I nodded with a small laugh “I have to make money for the kids still.” Youngguk’s face became serious as he turned to face me “What if you didn’t have to?” I was a little confused “Huh?” He took me aback with his suddenly manly appearance “Come live with me.” I pulled my eyes away from his “Youngguk-shi . . . I just don’t-” He cut me off “I can provide a good future for the children and make sure they don’t ever have to worry about another thing in their life.” It was true, I knew I would have to say yes at least for the kids, I slowly nodded “I- it’s- ok.” Youngguk smiled wrapping his arms around me “I promise to make sure all three of you are always happy.” I smiled, but something just didn’t feel right.