New Life

Dangerous Love
I fell to the floor as my chest tightened “ I can’t breath . . .” my voice was a whisper as I took deep breaths “Yeobo . . .” Loco lay on the steel cold table in front of me, his eyes were closed, and his skin was pale. There were deep tissue bruises around his neck, which was made possible with the tie I brought him on our first anniversary. “We’re sorry for your lost . . .” the tall doctor behind me, put a hand on my shoulder before leaving the room. I stood up, almost stumbling, putting my hand on top of Loco’s. “Nappeun namja” a single tear fell down my face “How can I be sad, when you were so terrible? Loco-shi . . .” I closed my eyes trying to bring the courage to walk out of the room “Bye . . . yeobo.” I left without looking back. Two days later Loco’s funeral was held, there weren’t many people, but it was still a good amount. I tried to be strong but tears still fell, Haneul was having a harder time than me, curled into a ball on a bench. “Baby . . .” I whispered softly.“It’s gonna be alright, ok?” Haneul didn’t respond, I rubbed his back not knowing what to say, of course it wasn’t going to be alright, nothing was. “Sorry.” I turned to see Zico standing behind me. He was in all black and looked stressed “I know he was very important to you.” I stood up smiling “Ani . . . it was his choice . . .that stupid man . . .” Zico forced a smile putting a hand on my shoulder “I just came here to see if you were ok . . . sorry but . . . I can’t feel bad for his death. He killed my whole family . . . theirs just no way, I feel sick just being here.” I looked down at my hands “I understand, you don’t have to stay if you don’t want to, but can I ask you a favor?” Zico stared at me with hope filling his eyes “Uh.” I slightly smiled “Can we meet tonight, at the Han River?” Zico looked confused “Sure . . . but why?” I rubbed my neck awkwardly “I want to talk to you about something . . . it’s not appropriate to say here.”Zico nodded his head “Araso, when?” I looked at my phone, checking the time “11?” Zico lightly smiled “K, I gotta go now, bye.” I waved as he walked away. After the funeral I slowly walked Haneul to my car and put Jung in the front seat, my parents were in the car behind us. “Jung-ah” I looked at him from the side of my eye starting the car. “Dae?” “Ahjumma has to go somewhere so I’m going to leave you with my parents, ok?” Jung nodded his head “Ok.” I started driving down the thin street “Watch out for Haneul, araso?” He nodded his head glancing back at my now sleeping son. It was already ten at night when I arrived at my parent’s house, I carried Haneul inside as Jung held the door open. Before I could do anything else, I walked up to my room. I locked the door and changed my clothes. Once I was done changing, I grabbed the last item I needed from my drawer and tucked it lightly in the back of my pants. My parents were watching TV in the living room and the kids were asleep. I walked towards the door, opening it “Umma, Appa! I’m going out for a while . . . can you keep an eye on the kids, especially Haneul?” “Uh, they’ll be fine, you just worry about yourself!” They laughed as I joined in “Ok!” I closed the door and got in my car. I arrived at the Han River ten minutes late; once again, Zico was there first. “Zico!” I called as I walked up to him. He turned to me with a smile “Ah, waseo?” I nodded my head “Wae, you thought I wouldn’t?” Zico did a weak chuckle “Uh.” I stared at him confused “why do you look so drained?” Zico just shook his head “Ani . . .” I looked at the river “I thought about it a few days ago. I know why you like to meet here.” Zico looked at me “Wae?” I did a light laugh looking at the ground, then him “Because it’s the first place we met.” Zico smiled weakly “Uh, I remember, back then you looked so nerdy.” I laughed “You didn’t look too good yourself!” Zico turned his body to me now with a big smile “Yah! I was considered really handsome back then!” I nodded sarcastically “Dae, dae, Mr. Hightops” I joked thinking of when he used to wear his pants to the top of his ankles. Zico laughed for a long time until his laugh ran away and that same serious face came back again “Those were good times” he said looking back at the river.I nodded looking down. “It’s a shame I have to go now.” I looked at him with shocked in my face “W-what do you mean?” He laughed, a forced laugh from somewhere deep inside his empty soul “I already know Erica, just stop it.” I stared at him confused and shocked, he couldn’t know right? He walked closer to me as I slowly walked back. I guess I didn’t walk fast enough because he placed a hand on mine, which was holding the item I had previously tucked in the back of my pants. He pulled it out revealing a cold, black, mettle object. “Just kill me now . . . I’m tired of trying . . . maybe it’s time for me to die.” He still had a grip on my hand, placing the gun on his heart. “Shoot.” I stared in disbelief “How did you-” “Erica please! Just shoot . . .” his words fell into a deep pool of desperate cries. My hand began to shake as one of my fingers fell to the trigger.Tears began to fall down Zico’s face “It was you all along, you were the devil.” I didn’t know what to say as I began lightly pressing the cold metal. Zico stared at me with pain in his eyes. “Just shoot the-!” I was shook by his sudden scream and pressed the trigger. I watched Haneul and Jung play in the living room of my new house. Everything was perfect, my mission was over and I could finally return to my old life, a gang leader. “Ma’am” I turned to see one of my newest gang members walking up to me bowing. I looked at him not really caring why he came, or what he had to say “What?” I asked walking them into my office so the kids wouldn’t hear. “Mr. Bang wanted us to inform you that he’s be coming home early today.” I smiled “Chinja?” Araso, you can go now.”He bowed once more before leaving. I watched them leave then went to get ready. I wore a black dress with pearls when Youngguk walked into the living room. “Yeobo!” I yelled excited. My husband walked up to me as I embraced him “Did your trip go well?” He smiled “Uh” After he greeted both the kids, we went to talk in my office. I stared out the window leaning on my desk as he sat in a chair next to me. “Are you really still thinking about them? Just forget about it already.” I shook my head “That’s not it, there was something Zico said to me before I shot him that worries me.” Youngguk stared at me confused “what?” “He said he already knew. If he already knew than theirs someone we don’t know about who told him.”“Do you think?” I nodded my head “I think it’s the person we’ve been searching for, our mission wasn’t for nothing.” Youngguk smiled “I’ll look into it with my team, don’t worry.” I nodded as he got up and left. Our mission was finally over. EPILOGUE Confused? I’ll explain. First off my names not Erica Wilkes but Jung Heesoo. My father was the leader of one of the most successful but unknown gangs in Korea. When he decided to retire, he made a deal with me to take over the gang. I had to complete a mission, through it I would find the identity of an unknown man, who till this day is my father’s worst enemy. There was one fact that was known about him, he was connected to Zico somehow, sadly Loco was a stupid gang member who just got dragged in.About Bang Youngguk, I’ve been married to him since I was 16, Haneul’s his child not Loco’s, though Haneul doesn’t know it yet. He helped me to . . . finish my mission. All in all, my mission was simple (but long), find out the identity of this mystery man, and to do that I had to use the most powerful tool there was, affection. It was something that could crush people’s very soul and lead them in the direction of self-harm. Something that could make people just give up on life and beg for a chance to die. In other words I guess you can call this weapon, well, let’s see, Dangerous Love?