Chapter 2

The Past

J&J Group Building

 

That morning, the office are full with gossip about their new CEO. All of the single lady look more beautiful than ever. According to the gossips, their new CEO is young, well-educated, rich but a playboy-type. But, all of his ex-girlfriends were models and actress. Right now, rumours says that he have been single for almost two years since his last break up. 

Seohyun try to keep herself busy with her works. She felt so stress when she heard that at 2pm there will be a meeting for all managing director and executive manager from all departments. That’s means she need to meet the CEO again. Last night, she cried at the park near the hotel, in the car, and at home. Poor Taeyeon. Had to stay up all night to comfort her.

The long meeting has ended. Seohyun take her files and wants to go out from the meeting room quickly. She feel that she can’t breathing properly during the whole meeting. She just can’t keep her eyes off from staring at Yonghwa the whole time. If Lee Shin still alive, will he be smart and ggod looking as him? I need to get out from here quickly.

“You, with the red suit, long black wavy hair, wearing silver bracelet, please stay for a while” said Yonghwa. “I want everyone leave us alone in this room, in thirty seconds” Everyone start to empty the room quickly. Seohyun froze. Did the CEO notice that she was looking at him the whole time?

Now, they are alone in the room. Seohyun become pale. What’s wrong with this bastard.

“Do you want to ask me something? You keep staring at me the whole time?” ask Yonghwa.

Silent.

“Are you deaf?” he ask angrily.

Still, no answer.

He walks closer to her, and held her chin up.

“I said I don’t like asking people the same question two times” he warns her.

Still, she only stare at him.

The same eyes. The same looks. His ways of staring is as same as Lee Shin. How can it be? That stare. Seohyun’s eyes become teary. She can’t take it anymore. Tears started to fall.

“Yah, am I an onion? Why you are always crying in front of me. Are you crazy?” ask Yonghwa again. What’s wrong with this girl? Seohyun just stands still, staring at him.

“Arasso, I’ll ask no more. Now get lost!” Yonghwa fed up with her, not saying anything. What’s wrong with this girl?

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

It has been a week since the farewell party and meeting incident. That’s mean it has already been a week Seohyun didn’t have to face Yonghwa. Seohyun look at her watch, lunch time. She promise to eat with Taeyeon today.

During lunch time, Taeyeon keep looking at her best friend. Poor Seohyun, lately she rarely talk and her appetite seems lost too. 

“Hyun, don’t you think it is the right time for you to accept someone in your life? You need to move on. Now, with our CEO which look like Lee Shin, I don’t think you can survive.”
“Hyun, please, I beg you. We still have 5-year contract with this company. It has only been a week, but you’re already look like a zombie.” She continue again.

Seohyun keep thinking about Taeyeon words since lunch. She must move on. She need to move forward. She can’t let her past ruin her future. But, how can she replace Lee Shin in her heart? Lee Shin is a very special person in her life. Suddenly, her phone rings. She received a text messages from someone.

Seohyun, today is my birthday, and may I ask to go out to dinner with me tonight? –Mr Cho-

She read the message over and over. I think maybe this is the right time I should open my heart again. She replied his message. Then, smile.

 

La Verde Hotel

 

That night, Kyuhyun bring Seohyun out to dinner at a fancy hotel. They talk a lot about themselves during dinner.
“Mr Cho, I’m sorry I didn’t prepare anything for your birthday” said Seohyun.
“Well, I’ll forgive you, only if you stop calling me Mr Cho and start to call me Kyuhyun” he replied.
“Well, I’ll try, Mr Cho, oops, I mean, Kyuhyun-shi” she smile, and melt his heart.
“Seohyun, do you know how much I like you since you first working here? Today, I want you to tell you again how much I like you and I want you to become my girlfriend? Please, this time I’ll give you some time to think” Kyuhyun express his feeling.
“No, I’ll answer it now” she said. Seohyun didn’t want the same things happen twice, like what happen to Lee Shin. For her, if she didn’t have any feelings towards the guy, she can just reject him without giving any further hope. She take a deep breath.
“I can’t accept you, I’m sorry” and Seohyun started to cry. For a moment, she has been thinking to accept him, but she really just can’t.
“Yah, please don’t cry. I’m sorry for asking you.” Kyuhyun wipes her tears. Poor Seohyun. Something must happened in her past that make her can’t accept any man. Weird, because she didn’t have any special boyfriend despite her beauty and kind-hearted personality.
 

That night ended with both of them promise to be a very good friends. Kyuhyun will wait patiently until Seohyun can accept him because he know someday her heart will open to a really special person, and that person maybe him.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

It has been a month. Kyuhyun relationship with Seohyun becoming better and better. Not only with Seohyun, but also with Taeyeon and Baekhyun. Outside the office, they always go to dinner and having drinks together whenever they have free times. 

That night, four of them are having drinks together since tomorrow is Saturday. After finished drinking, Kyuhyun offer Seohyun a ride back home. Taeyeon and Baekhyun are planning to go to watch the night view of Seoul.

Inside the car, both of them are silent. Seohyun enjoy the view of Seoul city while Kyuhyun focus on his driving. Suddenly, Kyuhyun’s phone ringing and he answer it.

“Arasso, Omma. See you later” Kyuhyun put back his phone into his pocket.

“Hyun-ah, I’ll have to go to my mother house tonight. My grandmother is sick. I think we have to go back to my apartment first to take my clothes since it nearer. Is it okay for you?” he ask her.

“Okay, as long as you sent me back home safely” she reply.

Ten minutes later, they arrive at a very luxurious condominium site. Kyuhyun park his car and both of them go to his house. Kyuhyun told Seohyun that it will be dangerous for her to wait inside the car since it is dark. They arrived at his house, and Seohyun was amazed by its interior design.

“Wow, such an amazing house you have” Seohyun look around his house.

“Please come inside. You can wait at the living room for a while. Don’t be shy.” Said Kyuhyun and he went to his room to pack his clothes.

Seohyun walks to the living room. He can’t believe that a guy house can be this neat and tidy. She turn on the living room switch and was shocked when she see a figure was sleeping on the couch. She went closer.

Jung Yong Hwa? Why he is sleeping here?

Seohyun look closely at Yonghwa who is sleeping at the couch. She touch his sleeping face. His eyes, his nose, his mouth. Exactly the same as Lee Shin. She miss Lee Shin so much. Her tears start to fall. Suddenly, Yonghwa wake up and hold her hand. Both of them froze, looking into each other eyes.

“What are you doing?” Yonghwa break the silence. Still holding her hand.

Seohyun, who was still shock, wipes her tears and run outside. She wait for Kyuhyun inside the car.

Kyuhyun who had just finish packing his clothes, lookinh for Seohyun.

“Yah, where did Seohyun go?” he ask him.

“Seohyun? Aaa, so her name is Seohyun. Molla” he answer. Kyuhyun lock the door and went straight to the parking. There, he see Seohyun was waiting, standing beside the car. He feel relieved.

“Why is our CEO was sleeping at your house?” Seohyun start the conversation.

“Oh, didn’t I tell you? We are living together, well, not exactly living together. He has his own house though, but he didn’t like being alone. That’s why he always come to my house. Mostly everyday” He explain.

“But, why?” she ask again.

“Many people didn’t know this but the CEO and I are best friends, since high school. We went to the same universities.” He answer.

“So, you must know a lot about him?” she keep on asking.

“Yah, we are like siblings. I know most of his secret. But, why do you keep asking about him?” this time, Kyuhyun ask her. Could it be that Seohyun also like all the other female workers, who are crazy about their CEO? Well, Yonghwa is handsome, rich, and smart. No wonder all female like and adore him. But, he know Seohyun well. She is not like all the other girls.

Seohyun remain silent and only look outside the window.

 

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

Today has been a disaster for Seohyun. Not just her, but for everyone else. They don’t know why, but today, during meeting, Yonghwa yelled and mad at everyone. He said that all of their paper works were rubbish. Seohyun touch her cheek, a scratch from today’s meeting. 

Meeting room

“THIS IS RUBBISH!” Yonghwa yell at everyone in the room.

“I didn’t hire all of you for this kind of works. I can’t believe this. Where the hell where you all graduated from?” Yonghwa continue.

“And, who did this rubbish proposal? WHO DID THIS?” he yell again.

Everyone in the room were staring at Seohyun. Until now, all of them know that Seohyun always did a very well job, and always get praised by the former CEO. They were shocked as well as Seohyun.

Seohyun, who was sitting in front of the table, near the CEO, raised her hand slowly. “Me”

Yonghwa walks closer to her and throw the paper works on her face. Once again, everyone in the room were shocked. The room become silent. Seohyun touch her white cheek, she can feel a scratch, maybe because of the paper cut.

“Tomorrow, at 8 in the morning, everyone gather here with a new paper works and proposal. I will fire the one who didn’t satisfy me” remind Yonghwa and leave the room immediately.

 

Hyun, Hyun, HYUN!

“Yah, what are you thinking” Taeyeon waves her hands in front of Seohyun.

“No-nothing” Seohyun continue her works again from daydreaming.

“Hyun, are you okay? Well, everyone know that our CEO is a hot-tempered and jerk” Taeyeon also was in the meeting room. Pity her. Taeyeon rub Seohyun cheek gently. She put some oil on and then put a plaster on the scratch.

“Komawo, Taeyeon” she said softly.

 Today, everyone in the office have to work overtime to finish their proposal. It’s already 9pm. Taeyeon clean her table and get ready to go home.

“Hyun, today I’ll go home with Baekhyun. Drive carefully” She said as she throw the car key to Seohyun. Both of them share the car, but usually Taeyeon will go home Baekhyun.

“Arasso. Oh, Taeyeon-ah, maybe I’ll come home late today. Still can’t finish this. Just lock the house door.” Seohyun remind Taeyeon.

Seohyun still can’t finish her works. Seohyun didn’t want the same things that happen today will happen tomorrow. She looks at her watch. I better take a short nap first, so sleepy.

In her dream, she meet Lee Shin. In a garden full with flowers, Lee Shin is watching her from far away. Smiling at her. Waving at her. She try to chase him and when she wants to hug him, he disappear. Suddenly, she woke up from her dreams.

“Oh my goodness!” Seohyun look at her watch, 11.43pm.

I’m so dead tomorrow. How did I sleep so well? And ……..whose coat is this?

Seohyun took off a coat from her body. Since when she wear a coat today? And, isn’t this a man coat? No wonder she sleep so well. The coat keep her warm from the coldness of the office aircond. Kyuhyun? But today, Kyuhyun wear a black suit, not this brown coat. Seohyun clean her table, fold the coat and get ready to go home. She turns off all the switch and heads to the parking.

Yonghwa is smoking near the office park. Lately, many things happen in his life. And, most of them are bad things. He sit at a bench, and almost finish a box of cigarettes.  He can’t still forget the calmness of Seohyun’s sleeping face.

One hour ago, Kyuhyun text him to take something from his office since Yonghwa still at the office, working. On his way to Kyuhyun office, he saw Seohyun was sleeping on her desk. He went slowly to her and watch her sleep quietly. He was so guilty for what he did today to her. He let his anger control him and let it out to all of his workers. He touched Seohyun’s smooth white cheek. The wounds from his anger. He took off his coat and put it on her. She must be cold. He watch her sleep for almost half an hour. Somehow, Seohyun calmness make him calm also.

 

Yonghwa see someone is walking from faraway. Isn’t she Seohyun? He throw his cigarettes and run after her. He pull her hands, which make Seohyun scream a little.

“Mr. Jung” she bow a few times, surprise at his sudden approach. 

“Where are you going” he ask and let go off her hands.

“My car broke down, and I’m planning to take a cab” Seohyun reply, but still afraid of him because of today meetings. 

“Where do you live? Let me sent you home?” Yonghwa offer her ride.

“No, thank you. I can take a cab” Seohyun refuse.

“Refuse and you fired” said Yonghwa.

Now, both of them are in the car. Awkward. None of them open their mouth. Forty-minutes later they arrive at her house.

When Seohyun wants to open the car door, Yonghwa quickly grabs her hand.

“Mianhe” Yonghwa apologize. “For what happen today”

“It’s okay. You’re the boss, and I deserve to be yelled at” Seohyun pull back her hand.

“No, I really meant it. I’m sorry” Yonghwa apologize once again but, Seohyun quickly get off his car and close the door. She bow again one time and then enter her house.

Yonghwa just watch her inside his car. He can still smell the scent of Seohyun in his car. Somehow, Seohyun can make him calm.

Seo Joo Hyun, his lips keep repeating her name on his way home. He smile.