Chapter 5

The Past

 

It has been a month since Seohyun got back her old position as an executive manager at Human Resources Department together with Taeyeon. Her finger is typing but her mind keep playing back about what happen that night.

 

“I want my old job back” Seohyun said as she look straight into Yonghwa’s eyes.

“And, we’ll pretend that nothing ever happen” she continue.

“I said I will take responsible for it!” Yonghwa said angrily.

“Aniya, tonight was a mistake. It was a mistake for me to trust a guy like you” Seohyun said as she burst into tears again. “And, please, don’t appear in front of me for the time being”

“It’ll hurt more when you try to deny it” Yonghwa whisper to her ear and walk away.

 

Since that night, not even once Seohyun meet Yonghwa. And, Seohyun never tell anyone about that night, not even Taeyeon. Because she know that if Taeyeon knows it, she will kill Yonghwa for sure. Until today, no one know about Seohyun relationship with Yonghwa.

Seohyun, Taeyeon and the other officemates went out for lunch together. Then, one of their officemates, Ailee ask something to Seohyun.

 

“Hyun, every morning you’ll receive a cup of coffee on your desk with a flower. Eyy, did Kyuhyun and you are dating now?” ask Ailee. Taeyeon and Seohyun got choked while eating. Both of them drink their water quickly.

 

“All of us know that he likes you since the first day you works” said Yoona.

“Everyone has been talking about you guys. The reason you come back to our department is because of him, right?” This time, Sunny ask her.

“We are just friends, and I don’t know who sent me those damn coffee and flowers” Seohyun answer.

 

Well, obviously the coffee and flowers is from Yonghwa. Every morning, Yonghwa will ask someone to send her a cup of coffee and flowers. And, every night, he will text to Seohyun a goodnight wish before he go to sleep. That is his daily routine. Yonghwa really wants to call her, hear her voice but he knows that it will make Seohyun hate him even more.

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

Its winter, and the temperature outside is so cold even though it didn’t snow yet. Seohyun really hates this season. Tomorrow is Saturday, and most important thing is that tomorrow is also her birthday. But, for Seohyun, that’s means that Lee Shin’s funeral day also nearer.

Tonight, after office hour, Kyuhyun, Taeyeon, Baekhyun and three more people are going to celebrate Seohyun’s birthday. They decided to throw a birthday party for her at the karaoke centre near their office building. Usually Seohyun likes to be alone during her birthday, but thinking about her friends, she agree to join them.

They were having fun singing and dancing and laughing together. Taeyeon and Baekhyun duet was amazing. After the clock strike 12am, they bring the cake into the room and enjoy eating it.

Kyuhyun give his present to Seohyun, a lovely pink diamond watch.

“Thank you oppa” Seohyun smile at him. Taeyeon and the others also give her their gifts. Then, they continue singing and dancing until it was almost 2am.

Ailee, Yoona and Seohyun were already sleeping at the couch. Baekhyun and Kyuhyun still singing passionately, while Taeyeon dancing, drunk. That moment, someone else enter their room. It was Yonghwa. He smile at everyone and give the signal to keep going on what they’re doing.

 

 

He enter the room and take the seat beside Seohyun. He look at her sleeping face. So innocent. He miss her. He ask for Taeyeon permission and then lift Seohyun bridal style. Before he close the door, he took her handbag with him. He lift her and then put her slowly on the passenger seat in his car.

He drives his car to Hangang River and park the car in front of the beautiful night view of the river. He open the car window and he leans to his car, drinking his hot coffee that he had just bought, waiting for Seohyun to wake up.

 

 

Seohyun feels so cold even though Yonghwa’s jacket covers her body. She wakes up and look at her watch.

4am.

But, she is not in the karaoke room nor in her room. She is in someone car. She take off the jacket on her body and wears it. She step out from the car. She can see a figure leaning on the car, looking at the view.

Isn’t he Yonghwa? She walks closer to the figure.

Yonghwa can hear a footstep. He turns back and saw Seohyun, wearing his jacket and coming at him.

 

 

“Anyeong, Hyun” he greet her with a wide smile.

“What happen? Why did you bring me here? How did I sleep in your car? What did you do to me? When?” Seohyun ask question continuously.

“Why you didn’t tell me that today is your birthday?” Yonghwa reply with a question also.

“Errr, I-I, yah, I ask you question first!” Seohyun answer.

“Come here” Yonghwa told her to sit beside him. “Hyun, come closer. Don’t worry”

She walks closer to him. Both of them are leaning on the car, watching the view of Hangang River at 4 in the morning.

“Yah, you didn’t tell me that today is your birthday” Yonghwa start the conversation.

Seohyun remain silent.

Yonghwa took Seohyun’s hand and took out something from his pocket. Then, he attach something to her bracelet.

“Yah, what is this?” Seohyun ask him.

“You know, I always notice that you never took off that bracelet. No matter what occasions we’re attending, you always wears that bracelet. And, I didn’t have time to prepare any gifts since you didn’t tell me your birthday” said Yonghwa.

“And?” Seohyun still didn’t get it.

“And, I decided to make you a tiny silver plate for your bracelet. On that silver plate, there is my name and my number phone. So that, if anything happen to you and I’m not beside you, someone will call that number. Then, I’ll always be by your side” he continue.

They look at each other eyes. The sounds of the river flowing and the morning breeze accompany them.  Yonghwa gently Seohyun’s long wavy hair.

“I want to be your guardian, forever” Yonghwa said huskily.

 

Seohyun turns her heads and looks at the sky. If she keep looking at his eyes, she afraid that she will fell into his love. She still can’t forgive Yonghwa at what had happened. And, she still believe that her heart is only for Lee Shin.

“Yonghwa-shi, it’s not easy as you see” Seohyun look at the grass.

“I’m asking for you to give a chance. Just one chance” Yonghwa took her hands, begging.

“But, Yonghwa-shi, I can’t” she reject him.

“Seohyun-ah, I’ll prove to you that I can make your heart open for me. Just give me a chance” Yonghwa took out something from his other pocket and showing two passports.
“Paris, two days, separate rooms. Will you?” Yonghwa ask her.

“What is this? Are you asking me to go Paris with you?” Seohyun look at him.

“Please, the flight is at 7am. You’ve got less than two hours to think” Yonghwa keep waving the two passports in front of her.

“But, I didn’t pack my clothes yet. I’m sorry I can’t” Seohyun still refuse to go. She still remember that she really wants to go to Paris together with Taeyeon. They want to see Eiffel Tower so badly. Besides, Minhyuk also continue his study at Paris. It has been a long time since they didn’t meet Minhyuk.

“Don’t worry. I’m also didn’t pack my things. So, no more excuse” Yonghwa grabs her waist and push her into his car. He drives with a great speed to the airport. He is happy to know that he is going for a short vacation with Seohyun.

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

They first thing they do when they arrive at France is shopping. Yonghwa drags Seohyun from one shop to another. Yonghwa choose the clothes for Seohyun according to his taste. Seohyun just follow him around, soullessly.

After finish changing their clothes that they’ve just bought, they stop by at a café. Yonghwa is busy talking about his experience at Paris when he was a student, and Seohyun just pretending to hear about it. Yonghwa can sense that Seohyun is getting bored. Her eyes begins to look around and suddenly she see someone that she miss a lot. Her bestfriend, Minhyuk. She runs to him and hug him happily.

Both of them jumping, laughing and hugging happily. Yonghwa keep watching them from his seat. He can see that Seohyun is so happy with that guy. Who is he? First, they were talking happily, and when that guy took a glance at him, their expression change a bit. They were talking seriously and then, both of them walk towards him.

 

“Anyeong. I’m Minhyuk, Seohyun’s childhood friends” Minhyuk introduce himself to Yonghwa.

“Yonghwa, Seohyun’s fiancée” he introduce himself. Deep in his heart, he feel insecure.

“He is going to be our tour guide for two days, if it is okay for you?” Seohyun grabs one of his arm, asking him cutely. 

“Anything to make you happy” Yonghwa reply coldly. He really want to be alone with Seohyun for this trip but Seohyun seems happier with Minhyuk’s existence.

 

Minhyuk and Seohyun walk side by side, while Yonghwa follow them behind. He feels so angry, but he needs to control it. Otherwise, Seohyun will hate him more.

Suddenly, he can hear Minhyuk whisper something to Seohyun.

“They look similar. Exactly, like copy and paste”

 What look similar? Who? Yonghwa keep thinking.

 

For the whole day, Seohyun only talks to Minhyuk. Yonghwa can see the different side of Seohyun when she with Minhyuk, or with Taeyeon and Baekhyun. She feel more comfortable around them. At least, he can see Seohyun’s beautiful smile.

After dinner, Minhyuk send them to their hotel. Seohyun and Yonghwa sleep at separate room, but their room are only next to each other.

 

 That morning, Minhyuk waits for them at hotel lobby. Seohyun already dress up, and she knock Yonghwa room. Yonghwa open the door, with a messy hair and still wearing his pyjama.
He walks into his room lazily followed by Seohyun. Yonghwa throw himself to the couch, pretending to be sleeping.

 

“Yah, Yonghwa-shi, why you didn’t get ready yet? Minhyuk already waits for us downstairs” Seohyun just look at him.

“I’m not going” Yonghwa said, with his eyes still close. He took the pillow near him and cover his face.

“Ok fine. See you later” Seohyun turns her back and walks. Suddenly, Yonghwa throw the pillow to her. Quickly, he pretends to sleep back.

“Yah, why are you being childish?” Seohyun picks up the pillow. “What do you want for breakfast?” she ask him.

Yonghwa didn’t answer her question. Then, he only hear the sound of the door closing.

 

An hour later, Seohyun back to Yonghwa’s room together with his breakfast. She already eat with Minhyuk at the café. Well, she need to take care for Yonghwa. He is her boss, and also her fiancée.

Yonghwa still sleeping at the couch. Seohyun can hear him snoring. Seohyun walks closer to him and watch his face closely. Her hand start to rub his cheek gently and his soft hair.

How she wish Lee Shin was still alive. For a moment, she forget that it was Yonghwa. Without realizing it, she kissed his forehead for quite a long time. What she didn’t realize is, all this time, Yonghwa was only pretend to be sleeping. He didn’t expect to receive a kiss from Seohyun.

Yonghwa grabs her wrist, making her shocked. She caught off guard. He can see she is blushing.

“So, you do like me, huh?” He whispered ily, and took this chance to kiss her cheek. Seohyun froze like an ice. 

 

Yonghwa has never been so happy. He talks a lot during the whole trip. The three of them visit lots of interesting places. Seohyun bought so many souvenir for her friends at Korea. They will return to Korea tonight at 11pm. Minhyuk send them off at the airport. Yonghwa thanks Minhyuk for guiding them here even though he plan to be alone with Seohyun. But, with Minhyuk existence, Seohyun eas so happy and keep smiling all the time. And, that’s what he wants.

Her smile.

 

As soon as they arrive at their seats, Yonghwa pinch Seohyun’s cheek.

“Aigoo, my Hyun. Are you happy?” Yonghwa smile at her.

“Yes, oppa” Seohyun said while busy looking at the souvenir that she just bought.

“Oppa?” Yonghwa know Seohyun didn’t realise what she had just said, but it is enough to make him smile.

“Err” Seohyun slaps herself. What the hell did I just called him. Aigoo

“Oppa. I like it” Yonghwa keep smiling along the long journey back to Korea.

 

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

The gossips about Yonghwa and Seohyun went to Paris together spread quickly at The J&J Group company. Most of them can’t accept the fact that Yonghwa is hitting on Seohyun.

They admitted that Seohyun is a beautiful woman, but she is just like all of them. Just a normal girl. They didn’t believe that Yonghwa choose her. That day, Seohyun heard so many bad rumours about her.

 

“I’m sure she already sleep with Yonghwa”

“Cheap girl like her won’t last long, trust me”

“If a girl like her can get Yonghwa, that’s means we also have chance”

 

And, she was in the toilet when she heard the conversation between her officemates.

 

“Don’t you know that she is not a anymore? I heard she already sleep with many guys. Mr Jung and Mr Cho were some of them” one of the girl talking.

“Really? Aigooo. I thought she was nice. But, how come? She didn’t talk to guys, isn’t she?” The other girl reply while fixing her make-up.

“That is why she act like she didn’t talk to guys. She need to keep her secret” Another girl reply.

 

The moment she heard the word ‘sell her body’, she begins to cry silently in the toilet. She can’t stand it anymore. She has her pride as a woman. But, due to false rumours, her pride gone.

After sure the three of them have already left the toilet, she walks out and wash her face in the sink. She wipes her tears and walks outside. The moment she step out from the toilet, she saw Yonghwa was leaning on the wall.

 

“Yonghwa-shi” she call her with a hoarse voice. Yonghwa walks to her and bring her to his embrace. Seohyun hugs him tightly, like a child hugging to her mom, crying loudly on his chest.

“Ssshh. I heard everything. I already fired those three” Yonghwa rubs her back gently.

 

Yonghwa actually was looking for Seohyun after his assistant, So Ra told him about the rumours that are spreading around the company. He saw Seohyun entered the toilet, and followed her secretly. He waited for Seohyun outside, but then he heard those three girls were badmouthing about her.

Poor Seohyun. If only he thinks about the consequences when he takes her for a trip to Paris.

 

 

That night, after office hour ended, Seohyun and Yonghwa take a walk at the park. They sit on a bench and drinking their hot coffee.

The snow start falling. It was a beautiful view, but not for Seohyun.

“Waaa, first snow is falling. I like it” Yonghwa feels the snow with his hands.

Seohyun drinks her coffee, trying to get rid of the sad memories that keep playing in her mind.

 

“Isn’t it beautiful, Hyun? The view of the night, and the snow is falling? Don’t you like it? I really –“

“I hate it” Seohyun cuts off Yonghwa. Seohyun close her eyes.

“It reminds me of my first love” she continue.

 

It reminds me of my first love. Yonghwa touch his chest. It hurts.

It hurts him a lot.

He really fell so hard for this girl. He wants to  be her guardian forever. But, there are still a lot of things that he didn't know about her.

Her first love?