Luck of the Century

Eiryia's Winner Oneshot Collection

Luck of the Century 

for Winderland Dec.08

by Eiryia

 

 

Picking up coffee in the evening. When was that ever a good idea? Mino shook his head at himself. He was on his way to his favorite coffee stand, in his favorite park hoping to catch a glimpse of his favorite legs. Now the first two had been long time favorites, while the legs, well he had only seen them twice, but they sure had made a lasting impression. 

Paying for his coffee he scouted to see if his spot on the nearby bench was free. An old lady with a dog was sitting there feeding pigeons. Best drop that favorite today then he thought and walked passed it to the next one. It was a cold evening and he had his doubts that he would see any of the intriguing, athletic legs that he silently had hoped to catch a glimpse of all day. 

Halfway into his coffee he heard laughing come from beyond the turn of the path that lead past where he was sitting. It had a familiarity to it that he couldn’t pinpoint, but expectations began growing in his sub consciousness just as he heard it. He sat up a little and turned slightly in his seat. 

What happened next almost made him lose his coffee even if it was the most ordinary thing that could happen to a person sitting on a bench in a park: a person walked by. 

The person who rushed passed him was talking on the phone and seemed to be in a great mood. He was walking two dogs, both of the skinny kind of breeds that Mino could only guess from general knowledge. What was so shocking about it was of course that the person who just walked by was the owner of those legs, his favorite legs, the legs he had not been able to forget after spotting them twice through the shrubs while sitting on the bench next to the one he now was sitting on. 

He weren’t sure why he was so shocked, he had hoped to see the legs and this was where he had seen them before. Rubbing his face he mentally yelled at himself, of course he knew why he was shocked! They were after all owned by a guy! 

A very handsome guy he might add. 

 

 

It took him a while to calm down enough to make a decision for his next move. He needed to discuss his situation and he knew exactly who to discuss it with. He had dialed the number while walking and had agreed to meet within the next ten minutes.

            "So what does this mean? Am I gay?" 

He looked up at Jinwoo over his third cup of coffee that evening. There would be no sleeping for him that evening, that much he was aware of. Jinwoo only smiled one of his cutesy smiles and took a sip of his own coffee.

            "Don’t just smile at me like that, I’m freaking out here!"

Mino said while rubbing his head exasperated. Jinwoo put down his coffee and took a bite of his cake. While other guy friends would have gone out to a bar for a drink to discuss these things had they opted for their favorite bakery. Nothing like having a best friend with an equally bad sweet tooth. Mino took a big bite of his carrot cake as well. 

            "It was a guy all this time? What the actual !?!" 

He swore at his carrot cake and two teenage girls on the table next to him gave him a judging look. 

            "You have been fantasizing about the owner of those legs haven’t you? 

Jinwoo said before laughing a little. He was having fun on his expense like usual, but Mino paid it no mind as he was used to it after being friends for so many years. He couldn’t let go of the words Jinwoo had used about him however. Calling it fantasizing would probably be taking it too far, but a few daydreams sure, he could admit to that. 

            "He got dogs you know, two of them.. I’m allergic to dogs!" 

He burst out the last part, carrot cake flying everywhere. This was too much! He needed to get this guy out of his head as quickly as possible. The slightly sad truth was that he already spent most of his brain capacity since leaving the park trying to figure out how he could meet him again. 

           "The fact that you are worrying about his dogs, means that you are already considering what it would be like if the two of you were together" 

Jinwoo said this while playfully pointing at him with his spoon. 

           "What do you mean considering..! Together?" 

Ignoring Mino’s last comment completely Jinwoo continued his musings

            "Love at first sight, how romantic is that? Best not mention to him that it was his legs that did the trick though. No one likes only being liked for their looks. I should know.." 

 

 

Walking away from the bakery another two pieces of carrot cake later Mino weren’t sure if he had come to any conclusions at all. Jinwoo had encouraged him to approach his crush and even if he was still in denial about wanting to did he have a feeling he might just that and so soon.

It was the same evening, still on a caffeine high he came up with his plan. He would go to the park one last time. If he ran into the guy then it would be destiny and he would have to approach him. He would simply have to be honest and ask him for coffee. Just the thought of coffee made him shudder. Carrot cake would be better, then they could talk and keep warm. Even if it didn’t go well did he at least get to eat cake. 

He fell asleep thinking about cake and whether or not he should take allergy pills before going to the park the next time. 

 

 

Deciding not to break his pattern he waited all week before going back to the park. So far had he always gone there on Fridays and he had always run into Seunghoon there on these Fridays so Friday it was. 

Work that day had been hell, not because it was any more difficult than usual, but because he was completely unable to focus. Half the time he was worried about his target not showing up and the rest of the time he worried what he would say if he did. 

Going out for lunch he had been so pre-occupied with his own thoughts he had walked out on a colleague who had joined him without realizing it. Then he had hung up a work call on his way back because he had seen a dog similar to the one in the park. 

In the end had he been forced to stay in late because of all the mistakes he had done throughout the day. When he walked out the doors, almost two hours later than usual was it completely exhausted and slightly depressed. He surely wouldn’t meet the guy now, he had always been there at the same time after all. 

After sulking for a while had he decided to go along with his plan. Let destiny be destiny and if there was no guy then at least he could use it as an excuse to buy cake afterwards. 

 

He hurried to the park on foot, pushing his hands deep into his pockets as he went since the weather was colder than ever. Few people were around and it was already getting dark. Wondering who would walk their dogs in a badly lit park at this time of the day he bought his coffee and headed for his favorite bench. Having just passed the usual turn in the path he noticed something that looked like a long-legged guinea pig run past him.

Turning to look he realized it was a tiny dog and the leash was still dangling from its neck. The dog stopped only a few meters away from him and thinking it could be dangerous if the leach got stuck in something he bent down a little and begun talking to it. The dog seemed to be shaking and Mino couldn’t tell if it was because of the cold or because it was scared. Whatever it was had it kept it in place and he had soon managed to grab hold of the leash.

Now that he had captured the tiny creature was he unsure of what to do with it. Walking over to the bench he picked it up on his lap. It had yapped angrily at him at first, but calmed down after he had patted it for a while. He decided he would stay put and see if the owner came looking for it. He tried to remember what kind of dogs the guy had been walking, there had been two, but he had only seen one clearly and it had been a much bigger one. 

            "It was similar to you now that I think about it" 

He told the little fellow and took a sip of his coffee. Luckily enough had he taken his allergy medicine earlier in the day and so he felt no symptoms from holding the dog for so long. The minutes ticked by and both he and the dog was feeling the effect of the cold weather. Deciding to put the poor shaking dogs needs before his own he opened his coat and stuffed it in there. 

            "Stay here while we go look for your owner" 

Mino told the dog in a serious voice before getting to his feet. If he had lost a dog in the park would he probably look for it far into the night so if the owner was anything like him should he still be around there somewhere. 

            "If I was your owner I would dress you in something cute" 

He said as he walked along the path. So far had he only met a few joggers and a guy in a suit talking in a low voice into his phone. It was getting dark and he was starting to wonder what he should do if he couldn’t find the owner. It was then he saw him, Mr. nice legs ahead of him on the path. He was holding they gray dog Mino remembered from the other day on a leash and was hunched down beside some thick shrubs while talking to the dog. 

            "You know Otto, I think we have looked everywhere now. Let’s start over and follow our trails back. She has to be here somewhere" 

Silently panicking Mino came to the conclusion that the dog he was holding had to belong to his crush. This was destiny at play like never before. He was the hero of the hour! Trying to appear calm he walked over and poked the guys shoulder while saying 

            "I believe I’ve found what you are looking for" 

He straightened up right away and adjusted his jacket before turning towards Mino. 

            "You have? Oh hello! There you are! I’m so happy! Where did you find her?" 

Mino handed over the dog while retelling the short story of how he carefully had grabbed the leash and hid her in his coat. The guys smile just kept widening as he was talking and Mino could feel his hear beat proudly in his chest while his mind struggled to comprehend what was going on. 

            "How can I repay you? I want to thank you!" 

Wondering if he should confess his feelings right there and then Mino hesitated. It could ruin the mood completely and it was a golden opportunity to get that cake he wanted without confessing first. 

            "I was actually going to buy myself some carrot cake at my favorite bakery down the street from here" 

He explained while struggling to keep his explosive feeling at bay. After all he worried, planned and practiced before today had things worked out completely without any effort on his side. The guy had happily agreed to tag along to the bakery, but only after dropping of his dogs as they were both shaking from the cold. He only lived a short walk from where they were and Mino found himself thinking he could eat a lot of cake in the future if they got together living so close. 

Mind working in high gear trying to figure out if he was going crazy for thinking about living together, when he had not even learned the guys name he waited down on the street. 

            "I’m Mino by the way, Song Mino" 

He said, deciding it was time to give this guy he fancied a different name than Mr. Legs. 

            "Ah, Lee Seunghoon" 

Seunghoon replied right away and shook his hand. They small talked all the way to the bakery and Mino learned that Seunghoon was a contemporary dancer, working as a dance teacher at the arts college not far from where his own workplace. 

 

 

When they got there was the bakery about to close, but Mino being a regular got to buy his cake before they closed up for the day. Seunghoon was amazed at this and wondered if he came there often. Mino explained about his Friday routine and how he used to meet his friend there ever so often instead of going for drinks. Seunghoon not being much of a drinker himself approved of this and they got into the discussion of favorite cakes. 

Not paying attention to where they were walking they soon found themselves at the steps of Seunghoon’s apartment building. Mino realizing he had spent most of their time together talking about food or work was angrier with himself than he had been in ages. How was he supposed to explain everything without being awkward about things now? As if a mad strike of luck didn’t Seunghoon just wave good bye and thank him for the help, he asked 

            "Why was it that you were in the dark park so late anyway?" 

Before taking a step backwards towards the stairs. Mino said his reply before thinking it. 

            "Oh, it’s kind of a long story" 

Seunghoon looked from Mino, to his bag with the cake and then at the entrance of his home. 

            "Care to tell me about it over a cup of coffee?" 

He asked and Mino almost physically jumped on the spot from happiness hearing his question. 

            "A cup of coffee with my cake doesn’t sound bad at all" 

Walking up the stairs he watched Seunghoon move elegantly ahead, stopping to wait for him at the top waving his bag with the cake. He seemed happy which in return increased Mino’s own happiness. Even if things didn’t work out had he helped a person that day. 

Seunghoon’s apartment weren’t big, but it was cozy and well kept. His dogs greeted them and Mino felt more than welcome as Seunghoon showed him to his kitchen. Well seated he soon had a big mug of coffee in his hands. 

            "It’s decaf though, so we can sleep tonight" 

Probably for the best Mino thought while taking a big sip of the hot fluid. Having stressed a bit more than necessary lately he could probably use some proper rest this weekend. Seunghoon got them plates and spoons for their cake before taking his seat on the opposite side of the table. The tiny dog from before soon came over and barked lively until Seunghoon picked her up and placed her in his lap. 

            "So your story?" 

Seunghoon began before taking a big bite of his cake. Mino had been trying to find a not so creepy explanation to everything, but he was coming up short. Deciding to give a very short, but honest recap he began. 

            "Ok, ok, I’m sorry if this sounds strange, but it’s the truth" 

After another sip of coffee he tried to muster what he could of self-confidence. He might as well get it over with. He told Seunghoon about his routine of visiting the park and how he used to buy coffee and how he a while ago he had spotted a lovely looking pair of legs through the shrubs by the bench he used to sit by. Seunghoon had only arched an eyebrow at this and didn’t comment although he probably now knew where this was going. 

            "Then you walked passed me with your dogs last Friday and I was a little shocked to be honest. My mind pretty much went The ? So you’re a man all this time? I think I must have known deep down, but I don’t usually go for guys so.." 

His voice trailed off. Had he said too much at the end there? Would he go for Seunghoon? Who was he kidding, he was sitting in his kitchen munching carrot cake trying to hide his embarrassment. Of course he would! Seunghoon only smiled, but there was a slight glint of evil in his eyes that made Mino dread what was coming. 

            "Where you offended that my legs are hotter than you average women would ever be?" 

He teased why petting his dog. Mino could tell Seunghoon was amused by the situation. Wanting to explain himself a bit more he put down his coffee and said 

            "After discussing the matter with a very gay friend of mine did I come to the conclusion that.." 

Embarrassment hit him hard and he lost his trail of thought. Trying to figure out where he had stopped he jumped to what he thought was a less embarrassing part of the story. 

            "Anyway, so I decided to leave it to destiny. If I saw you again the next time I went to the park I would approach you and give it a honest shot. If not then it simply weren’t meant to be.." 

Seunghoon put down his dog and leaned forward in his seat a little as if to have a better look at Mino before saying

           "That’s a lot of trust to put in destiny, but it looks like destiny beat you hard at your own game" 

Mino laughed. It was true, nothing had gone like he had planned. It had gone better and he now found himself with the perfect reply. It was cheesy as hell, but why not go for it.

            "I put my trust in destiny and look where it brought me, into your kitchen. If that isn’t a sign I don’t know what is" 

Seunghoon laughed as well now. Mino weren’t exactly sure what he was laughing at, but concluded that it had to be him. Seunghoon was still laughing at him while leaning slightly forward and Mino wanted him to take his feelings seriously, even if he didn’t know what his own feelings was just yet. He took another spoonful of cake into his mouth and proceed to bop Seunghoon on his nose with it afterwards. 

            "Don’t laugh at me! You have no idea what kind of mental chaos you have caused for me the last week!" 

Seunghoon rubbing his nose took another spoonful of his cake as well and chewed on it slowly before saying

            "Sorry that my beautiful legs made you realize that you are gay" 

He teased and waved his spoon dramatically around before pointing it at Mino. 

            "You didn’t think to ask if I was though, what if all this storytelling and mental chaos was for nothing?" 

Mino had not considered that part. That’s what you get when you don’t think longer than to your own nose, but in all honesty was he just relieved to have told his story. It was out of his hands now, which Seunghoon seemed very much aware of.

            "Do you go around confessing your feelings like this a lot?" 

Seunghoon asked. Mino was slightly perplexed by this question. He expected an answer to whether Seunghoon was gay or not. Dragging it out by asking another question. The honest reply was slightly embarrassing yet again, but in a way did he feel he had nothing to lose. 

            "Not since confessing to my previous lover, whom I got dumped by for little more than a year ago.." 

Nodding Seunghoon waved his spoon a bit longer. Mino was starting to feel like he was giving a lot without getting much in return. He had almost finished his cake due to nervous eating and was readying his mind for his return home without getting anywhere with his crush. A crush who was making life more and more difficult for him he noted as Seunghoon smiled again. 

            "I’m sure telling this story to me must have cost you a great deal of courage then" 

He said and Mino had no idea where he wanted to go with this. He wouldn’t call it courage even if he put his pride on the line. Even so did he nod agreeing although hesitant. 

            "And courage should be rewarded" 

Seunghoon concluded matter-of-factly. He then put down his spoon and leaned across the table. Mino didn’t see it coming at all when Seunghoon’s warm lips crashed with his own. Even so was it as if a warm of heat hit his entire body just as their lips met. He found himself wanting to grab hold of the one kissing him, but managed find sense enough to clutch hard on the table instead.

Slightly dazed, with lips tingling they broke apart seconds later. Mino couldn’t take his eyes of Seunghoon who, rather sneakily was using Mino’s moment of weakness to steal a bit of his cake. What kind of guy had he managed to get himself mixed up with? A cake stealer!?! It didn’t matter, he was endearing and completely unpredictable and he loved it.

            "How is the mental chaos?" 

Seunghoon asked, using Mino's own words to . It got to him, he had to admit that much. Seunghoon seemed calm enough, sitting there smiling while petting his other dog who had come sneaking up on them to look for cake crumbles while they kissed.

            "Mental chaos is just as mental as it has been lately, maybe even a little worse"

Mino confirmed while stretching out a hand to pat the dogs head. It stared up at him with dark round eyes and it seemed to be the relaxed one compared to the tiny princess. After petting the dog for a little while longer did he finish his cake. Now it was up to Seunghoon to throw him out. He felt helpless, he had said what he wanted and exhaustion after a long week was catching up with him. Seunghoon finished his cake as well and began cleaning up without saying much. Mino took this as a clue to start leaving. 

            "Thank you for the cake" 

He said while leaning down to pick up the tiny dog to say his good bye. His nose was feeling slightly itchy now and he had a feeling his meds was about to stop working. Seunghoon followed him to the hall and watched as he put on his coat and scarf. 

            "You know, I wouldn’t mind eating cake with you again" 

Seunghoon half said, half mumbled before grabbing hold of Mino’s scarf at the ends. Mino half expected another kiss, but instead did Seunghoon tightened the knot of the scarf before he tucked it in to his coat. 

            "Safe trip home, don’t catch a cold and.. call me

He handed Mino a small dog shaped note as he said the last part. Mino couldn’t help but to grin as he read the tiny numbers on the note. Taking it in his hand he was about to say thank you, but realized last second that would be lame. Instead he decided to be the bold one this time. Pretending to be giving the dog one last pat before leaving he leaned in and placed a small peck of a kiss on Seunghoon’s lips.

            "Gotcha!"

He exclaimed happily and bounced out the door proud of his spontaneous move. Seunghoon only chuckled and shook his head before waving his good bye. 

Walking out of the building and down the brightly lit city street Mino kept repeating gotcha in his head. Who would have know? It didn’t take him long before he had concluded that he now must have used up all his luck for the next ten years. It didn’t matter though, it didn’t matter, because he had a slightly crumbled Chihuahua shaped note in his pocket. That made up for all the bad luck that could possibly come his way. 

 


Author's note:  My second submission for Winderland. We are posting several fics each day there now so go have a look. This is my first try at writing Minhoon. Did you like it? I did my best! I still have another story that will be posted later in December, I can reveal as much as that it is another Hoon ship >:3 Thanks a lot for reading <3