Dibs

Forward and Backward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You walked into the room, surprised that it was actually mellow and quiet for a change, unlike most weekends. You saw Jinhwan lying on the bed, staring aimlessly at the ceiling, Bobby slouching against the wall fiddling with his iPod, and Yunhyeong talking on the phone in the corner, probably begging Haeri to take him back. Donghyuk, Chanwoo, and Junhoe were all talking to each other about something, but immediately shut up once you entered the room.

Hanbin raised his eyebrows as you stumbled slightly in your steps, but his attention was immediately drawn away when he noticed all of his friends sitting up straighter, all fidgeting to fix themselves. 

"You are all idiots," he sighed, shaking his head. "It's just my little sister. You act as if she's an idol, or something." 

He couldn't really say he was surprised, though. It's not like it was the first time he noticed something like this happen. Even so, he couldn't help but find it weird that his friends all liked his little sister (even if they weren't as vocalized about it as Bobby).

You leaned against the doorframe, not in the mood to stick around for too long. Besides, if Hanbin smelled the alcohol on your breath, you knew you'd never hear the end of it.

"Anyway," Hanbin continued, pointing his chin in Yunhyeong's direction, "this idiot apparently didn't know it's Haeri's birthday tomorrow. He needs your assistance on a few things."

Yunhyeong furiously pressed a finger to his lips, eyebrows knit seriously as he motioned toward the phone. "Yes-yes, I know what you said. But if you'll just think about it -- okay, well I'll just call you back when you sound less angry. Bye, baby."

You watched as Yunhyeong tossed his phone aside and sighed into his palms. "Ugh, how could I forget? Man, I really screwed up."

"You and Haeri aren't even together, though," you said, not expecting your voice to come out so blunt. "It's not like you really have to do anything."

Hanbin winced on his behalf. "Too soon."

"See, this is how I can win her back," Yunhyeong said, not sounding as torn up as you'd expect. "I'll buy her all of her favorite stuff. Her favorite candy, her favorite movies... and that's where I need your help."

You shook your head. "You really don't know much about her, do you?"

"It's not that," Yunhyeong said, cocking his head to the side with a conflicted expression. "It's just that her sister is working at the only store open right now. If I go, she'll tell Haeri that I'm last minute shopping."

"So you want me to go," you said lamely. You gestured lazily at the other boys. "Why don't you just send one of these idiots out for you?"

Bobby grasped his chest in pain. "You really know how to break a man's heart, you know that?"

"That's just it," Yunhyeong sighed, as if all of this was common knowledge. "If one of them goes, she'll know where they came from. That's why you have to go along, so she doesn't suspect anything."

You shook your head, your brain moving at a snail's pace to process everything. "You're really making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be, but I guess I'll go. If it's for Haeri, then it's worth it."

Yunhyeong smiled gratefully. "And people say you're heartless."

"Thanks, Yunhyeong" you mumbled, speech slurring as time moved on. "Now, who am I taking with me?"

Yunhyeong smiled, clearly enjoying the power he had over the others. "I'll let you take your pick."

"Not me, though," Hanbin added in shortly, "I drank a quarter of dad's whiskey. I don't think I trust myself on the road." 

You rolled your eyes. Well, there went your first and only choice. You sighed and pointed to the first person you laid your eyes on. "I guess you'll do."

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter