Old and New

Forward and Backward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You had to admit, you really underestimated Shin's capabilities walking into this plan.

As he deepened the kiss, chuckling under his breath as his hands settled on your hips, you found yourself responding with only a moment's thought in between. You guess you should've seen it coming, any way you looked at it. If Bobby felt threatened by him, there was no knowing what he had hidden up his sleeves. You just couldn't help it.

You were just getting into the hang of things, body finally untensing against his, when he pulled away, smirk working back to his lips as he tucked a strand of hair behind your ear. He glanced over your shoulder, voice unbelievably casual when he spoke. "You know, I think I might be right on this one."

It only took a few seconds of separation from Shin for your usual expression to return, your breath to steady, and for your pulse to mellow. It was funny how that worked.

"Right?" you repeated, glancing over your shoulder. You spotted all of the guys (aside from Hanbin, who couldn't be bothered) looking at you, not doing much beyond silenced staring. Bobby seemed too consumed in talking to his girlfriend to be paying attention. You glanced back at Shin. "Right about what?"

"The theory," Shin replied, playfully leaning in closer, mouth right next to your ear. He chuckled a little before talking. "That Bobby doesn't care because he has a girlfriend."

You raised an eyebrow, wondering what proof he had of that, when he leaned away, chuckling casually, as he pointed his chin over his shoulder. "Bobby needs a girlfriend for that to be true."

Your eyes followed his line of sight over your shoulder. Lo and behold, there Yerin was, fleeing the park with a palm over , choking out sobs that were audible even from where you were. You were always surprised by that -- how the girls he dropped always seemed to look like they didn't see it coming when it happened. By then, Bobby seemed to have given up on whatever he was doing, and was now walking back to the guys, shrugging all too casually. 

You'd hate to say you told her so, but...

"You shouldn't look so happy," Shin said, bringing your attention back to him. "Seeing love in a pretty girl's eyes when it's not meant for you is what breaks a heart."

"What do you mean?" you said, raising an eyebrow. You weren't thinking anything in that realm. You scoffed lightly. "You're joking."

"Of course I am," Shin said, smiling sweetly as he pushed himself off of the table and dug his chiming phone out from his pocket. He sighed after a moment, looking back up to you. "I hate to do this to you, but I'm afraid I have to leave in time for my community service. Unfortunately, the government doesn't care if you're in love."

"In love?" You raised an eyebrow, remaining unfazed as he leaned forward, his palms settling on the table, on either ends of your hips. 

"Don't be so surprised," Shin smirked, stealing a quick kiss on your lips. "With a face like that, it's impossible not to fall for you."

It was probably the wrong time to think about this, but the whole situation was so familiar to the first time you heard "I love you" from a boy. That boy just so happened to be Bobby.

You remembered so much of it, it was weird. It was a couple of years ago, here at the skatepark, only instead of Shin it was Bobby next to you. You hadn't known Bobby for long, but he'd already established himself as a player in your books. The only odd thing was how delicately he treated you, as if he was slowly trying to unwrite his reputation in your eyes. Of course, none of that occurred to you. 

"Shouldn't you be on your board?" you'd told Bobby, eyes falling down at the skateboard tucked under the toe of his shoe. He had it slowly rolling from toe to heel, as if unconsciously itching to finally get back into the bowl like he'd been moments ago. "That's why you're here in the park, isn't it?"

His expression was patient, even if that was what he was thinking. He smiled. "Half of why I come here is to skate. The other half is so I can talk to you."

You brushed him off, shaking your head with a casual chuckle. "So that's why you're always flirting with girls here, right in front of me. Makes a lot of sense."

Bobby looked amused, facing you with a cheeky smile. "Are you saying you're jealous, Ahri? You know it's all harmless fun. In the end, you're the one I think about when I wake up in the morning."

You shoved him, nearly sending him off his board and onto the pavement. He chuckled like an idiot even then. You rolled your eyes. "I'm just saying, don't say you like me if you don't like me."

He'd stood back up and leaned back on the bench next to you. "You're right. I don't like you."

Before you could fully glance back at him, you felt his lips quickly pepper your cheek. "I love you."

And then he was back on his board, kicking off with a short chuckle before you could even realize what had happened. 

Once your attention was finally brought back, you found Shin smirking in front of you. "I hope I can see you again. This was fun."

You blinked away the fleeting thought of Bobby and nodded absently. "Yeah."

 

 

Bobby knew he had broken up with Yerin for a stupid reason, but he had been dying to do it for ages (ages meaning two days) so he couldn't even really feel guilty about it. If anything, he felt relieved.

"That was fast," Jinhwan said, laughing way too hard considering the fact that it hadn't even been a full minute since Yerin fled the scene in a sobbing mess. "I didn't think it'd be so quick."

"Didn't think what would be so quick?" Yunhyeong said, finally joining the conversation after having torn himself away from the leggy brunnette he'd spent the last half hour talking to (which seemed like a lost cause, in the end). 

"He broke up with Yerin," Jinhwan answered, still recovering from his laugh. "It was hilarious."

Yunhyeong's expression suddenly blanked, as if he was disappointed by the news. Bobby couldn't figure out why. "You what?"

Bobby shrugged. There wasn't much clarification needed. "What Jinhwan said."

Yunhyeong sighed, speaking under his breath as he shook his head. "The timing between you two is unbelievable."

Bobby raised an eyebrow. "Timing? It wasn't that. We broke up because of something else."

Yunhyeong waved him off, stepping back on his board. "Forget about it."

 

 

The following days were mellow considering the hell of a weekend you'd just clawed your way through.

But of course, you wouldn't be let off that easy. 

"He's single!" Minhee hissed, jabbing you with her elbow as soon as you sat down in your seat. For some reason, she felt the need to remind you at every second of every day of the fact. It was Thursday and she was still doing this. "Why aren't you on that?!"

Maybe because I don't want to date Bobby?" you answered sarcastically. "You think I actually enjoy liking him?"

The answer wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter