Wait, What?

Forward and Backward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You knew it.

You just knew all of this would come back to bite you right in the . This was a prime example of the phrase "too good to be true."

You thought this would be over fast, quick and painless, but it seemed like Shin was a bit different from other boys.

"So I am right," Shin said. He tilted his head to the side and eyed you amusedly. "Can't say I didn't see that one coming."

You didn't know how to react when he seemed so casual about it. Should you have looked more apologetic? Probably. You probably would've if Shin wasn't grinning so much, not a hint of anger or sadness in his voice.

You cleared your throat, eyeing him carefully. "What do you mean you saw it coming?"

"Oh, come on, Ahri," Shin said, giving you a look. "When you told me you loved me last night, don't tell me you actually thought I'd buy it."

"Huh?" you said, expression even more confused. You tried to search his eyes for any sort of anger, but there wasn't any sign of it. So he wasn't patronizing you, he was just genuinely like this. What "this" was, you still had yet to find out.

"It's okay," Shin continued, crossing his arms over his chest. His grin was milder than before, more serious (about time). "I knew it was Bobby all along. It was always him, wasn't it? You must've known, even when you hated him."

You raised an eyebrow. You and Shin almost never talked about Bobby. How did he know a thing about you two? Besides, it was only last night he was telling you that he loved you.

Unless...

"You didn't mean it either," you found yourself saying, mostly in thought to yourself. "If you knew all along..."

"Yeah, it was a test," Shin said, smiling flatly. "I didn't actually think you'd say it, but I guess you're a lot stronger than I thought. So we were both faking it. Hey, at least it was fun while it lasted."

You furrowed your eyebrows. You knew Shin was different from most guys, but really. You could hardly keep up with him.

"Wait, so you used me?" you said, not mad, just confused. If he knew it all along like he claimed to, that meant all this time that's what he was doing: using you.

"Not any more than you were using me," Shin countered, leaning forward with that sly smile of his. "You're pretty, I'm handsome, it happens. Just look at it this way, at least we got to hone our kissing skills. Judging by how big those hickeys are on Bobby's neck, I see you're more than good at it."

Okay, now this was just getting weird. How did Shin know so much?

"Wait, how do you know so much," you said. "About Bobby and me."

"There's a lot to take from your expression alone," Shin said, tucking a strand of your hair behind your ear, a fond smile on his lips. "But it was Jinhwan who keyed me in on what happened during the camping trip. The guy has morals; can't lie even if he wanted to."

So it was Jinhwan. Made sense. He never could filter any of what he said. It was like he physically could not formulate a lie, even if he wanted to.

"Uh, okay," you replied, not sure how to reply. Shin looked like he had tied all loose strings in the situation, which kind of left you without words. "I still don't understand how you're okay with this."

"Oh, I was a little mad at first," Shin said, shrugging. "But after I took care of a few things, I can honestly say I have complete closure."

You gave him a quizzical look, but before you could say anything, the door swung open and a breathless Donghyuk came rushing in.

(The boy really needed to learn how to knock. Seriously.)

He leaned forward onto his knees, taking a few seconds to catch his breath. "Bobby... He... Hospital... Hurry!"

Shin leaned forward, breath tickling your ear. "I think he's trying to say that Bobby broke his arm and is in the hospital."

You closed your eyes, sighing deeply. "Oh, for the love of God."

So that's what Shin meant when he said he "took care of a few things."

 


So as it goes, Shin punched Bobby in the jaw as soon as news broke out and Bobby slipped off of his board, resulting in, well, you know...

Bobby wasn't so much irritated that he had a broken arm, but by the fact that the fight ended without a single punch thrown at Shin.

"I was caught off guard," he said, shrugging. "How was I supposed to know Jinhwan was a rat?"

"Not a rat," Jinhwan said, sipping his cherry cola unaffectedly. "Just an honest man."

You were all sitting in the local diner, enjoying the air conditioning since it was so hot out.

"Whatever," Bobby said, rolling his eyes. You were focused on your milkshake, when you felt something hard hit your hand.

Bobby sighed, lifting his plastered arm up in the air, mumbling a string of curse words under his breath. " I can't even hold my own girlfriend's hand."

He waved his free hand around, orchestrating you and him to switch sides in the booth. "Here, come and sit on my left side."

You rolled your eyes, sighing as you did as you were told. "Happy?"

His palm was ridiculously clammy when you grabbed it, but you pretended it didn't for his sake. Poor Bobby had no other choice but to wear a hoodie to cover his hickeys, despite the fact that summer weather was in full swing. Apparently, he wasn't a big fan of scarves or turtlenecks like Yunhyeong so helpfully suggested.

"Anyway, you can always get Hanbin to fight for you," Minhee suggested. "He obviously has a lot of pent up anger."

Speaking of Hanbin, he was currently at the batting cage down the street. He said he was practicing for an upcoming game, but everyone knew better. For one, he was a pitcher.

"I'm not getting someone else to fight my own battles," Bobby said, readjusting his cap on his head. "Whatever. At least I won the real prize."

As he threw his arm around your shoulders, you shook your head, sweeping aside his bangs out of his face for him. "You're such an idiot."

Bobby grinned like it was a compliment. He grinned at pretty much anything you said to him.

"The people at school are going to flip when they see you together," Seyeon said, still looking like she couldn't believe her eyes. "I'm still reeling from shock."

"Well, it's none of their business," you said, shrugging. "Nothing's changed."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Bobby said, grinning (not that he'd stopped). "I'm gonna show you off as much as I can. I couldn't be happier."

You focused down at your milkshake, sighing deeply. You were happy, too. In fact, you had this flutter in your stomach that really hadn't left since you saw Bobby this morning.

But as happy as you were, you couldn't bring yourself to show it. Whether it was because you were so used to hating Bobby or because you were you, you didn't know. Either way, you couldn't help but think about it. Bobby literally broke his arm on your behalf, and all you could do was allow him to hold your hand.

"Speaking of relationships, Lee Hyeri just texted me that she wants to be official," Donghyuk said, wagging his phone in the air. "What should I say?"

You sighed in relief, happy the attention was finally off of you and Bobby.

"Aw she's cute, of course you should say yes!" Seyeon gushed, craning her neck over to read the message like the hopeless romantic she was.

"What happened to Minah?" you asked, referring to the girl Donghyuk asked out at the party for his dare-- she was the same one who'd rejected Hanbin weeks before so she was apparently considered some rare gem.

"Wasn't really feeling it," Donghyuk shrugged. "She's a great girl, though. I just like her friend Hyeri more."

You shook your head, completely speechless. Some boys were hard to understand. Donghyuk was just one of many.

 

 


Bobby was far from being a morning person since morning was usually when he was forced to face his mistakes but today was different. He actually didn't hate himself when he woke up, which was another cool perk about dating you. Cool.

Even better, his mom was still in her bed when he walked outside, shrugging on his uniform jacket. He hoped she at least had a few more hours to sleep, because she looked completely exhausted.

Right after he washed his face and fitted a cap over his head, his phone rang and he found another reason why this morning wasn't so bad: you were calling him.

"Hello?" he said, clearing his throat as he answered the phone.

"Hey," you replied, sighing. "Please tell me you didn't leave the house yet."

Bobby smiled, pressing his phone between his cheek and shoulder as he fastened his belt. "Why? You want me to pick you up?"

"It's only been my lifelong dream," you replied sarcastically, making his grin look even dumber than before. "But I assume you forgot to cover up your hickey. Either that or you want to show it off on purpose. I'm not letting you go to school like that."

Well, the first answer was right but the second wasn't exactly wrong either. Not after he realized the fact. "Oh, Kim Ahri, you know me so well. What would I do without you in my life?"

You laughed. "Just hurry up and get over here. My window's open if you don't want to deal with Hanbin."

"I'm crazy but not that crazy," Bobby replied, scraping his keys off of the counter. "What if I break my other arm? I only have one."

"Well Shin did it all the time. I just thought-"

"Window it is," Bobby interrupted, flexing his free hand. Here goes nothing.

 

 


Bobby (barely) managed to climb in through your window just as you finished applying your lip balm.

It took him about double the time it should've, but you were still amazed. You weren't actually serious when you told him to take the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter