Chapter 10: There's A First Time For Everything

The Chance To Be With You

          “Are you…serious?” he slowly asked. His face showed a mixture of happiness and confusion. I was still in shock over the fact that those words came out of my mouth so I couldn’t do anything but nod my head. Still, that simple action brought a smile to his face, a smile that I noticed he was trying to keep under control.

          Embarrassed, I looked down at the table, unable to meet his eyes. I knew that I’d probably blush and do all of the things that I’d never done before if I looked at him. I knew that it would probably be even more embarrassing than it already was if I were to do that.

          I gradually lifted my head to at least seem like I was looking at him when I noticed the bandage that was on the middle of his arm. “Oh, your arm,” I blurted out.

          “Oh, it’s nothing,” he said with a chuckle and pulled down the sleeve to his shirt. “I was just donating some blood, that’s what took so long. I didn’t think my appointment would run overtime.”

          “Alright.” I had no reason to question what he said and simply let it go.

          The two of us awkwardly looked at one another as we tried to figure out what to say next. I never had a boyfriend before so I didn’t know exactly what I was supposed to do after that. Boyfriend. That word was still foreign to me as was the world of couples. I didn’t even have any expectations to go off of because there was no time for daydreaming. That’s what I told Jinyoung when he asked what I wanted to do with a boyfriend.

          “Well then,” he sighed, “I guess we’ll just have to have a fun street date.”

          “Street date?”

          “Just walking around, enjoying each other’s company, you know, that kind of stuff,” he explained.

          “Ah.” I understood what he meant, but I had never just aimlessly walked around on the street before, there were always things that needed to be done before that.

          “Shall we get going?”

          “Oh, sure,” I awkwardly said. I got up from the booth and followed him wondering why in the world I was being so awkward. It wasn’t like me to suddenly become flustered and not know what to say. I always knew what I was supposed to do and what I was going to do. There was never a moment like there was that day when I finally said what was in my heart.

          We silently walked down the street and it didn’t feel awkward once we were moving. It just felt comfortable. I looked at a couple of things and Jinyoung pointed out a couple of others. I felt how closer our hands were to one another, though. It was like they were brushing past each other every time we walked. At the thought of holding hands with him, I suddenly became nervous.

          It wasn’t until we were going to meet the other guys that Jinyoung grabbed my hand. I was so engrossed in looking at the various necklaces and bracelets that he was pointing out to me that I didn’t notice at first. When I finally did, I felt my checks get hot, but I tried not to draw attention to it. Instead, my eyes were glued on the jewelry that was in front of me.

          “Minyoung, do you like any of these?” Jinyoung asked moving behind me and slightly closer. To me, it was like I could feel his body heat radiating off of him and my cheeks got hot again. “How about this one?” he pointed out a simple necklace with a silver outline of a heart hanging from it.

          “It’s nice,” I began and turned my head to look at him. However, I got a shock of my life when I turned and saw that his face right was practically right next to mine. We were practically standing cheek to cheek. “I don’t wear necklaces, though.”

          “Hmm,” he hummed. “Alright then,” he said standing straight up, “I’ll take that one.”

I looked at him with a puzzled face. “Why are you getting it?”

          “Even if you don’t wear it, it’s something nice to remember our first day together by.” I didn’t say anything more and watched as Jinyoung paid and received the necklace. “For you,” he said handing the box out to me.

          “Thanks,” I said giving a gentle smile.

          “Let’s go meet our friends,” Jinyoung finally said. He grabbed my hand again and led the way.

          The others must’ve seen us holding hands and knew that something was up because by the time we sat down, there were questions coming at the two of us at the speed of light. It still shocked me how active his friends were and how happy they all seemed. They didn’t seem to be concerned about anything and just lived in the moment. Honestly, I was kind of jealous of them.

          “Yah, I knew that something was going on between them,” Sandeul said and pointing between Jinyoung and I.

          “Jinyoung, are you sure about this?” Shinwoo asked and I wondered what he was talking about, but my attention turned elsewhere when Baro asked me a question.

          “So were you two dating when we first met you?” he wondered.

          I practically choked on the soda I was drinking and Jinyoung thankfully stepped in to answer the question. “We’re not going to disclose that kind of information,” he chuckled, “figure it out amongst yourselves.”

          “But we can say that you two are officially dating?” Gongchan questioned.

          “Yes,” Jinyoung confidently said and put his arm around my shoulder. “Minyoung and Jinyoung are officially dating.”

          “Wah, who would’ve thought that hyung would’ve ever got himself a girlfriend,” Sandeul sighed. “No wonder you called us out to have meat today, it’s a celebration for the big reveal.”

          Despite being a bit flustered when I entered the restaurant, I found myself smiling at their antics. Somehow being around them was refreshing and after spending the day with Jinyoung, I discovered that sometimes just doing things aimlessly and leisurely were fun and that friends are a good thing to have.

          I never would’ve thought that I would’ve said something like that before, but there was always a first time for everything. There were a lot of firsts on that day spent with Jinyoung, but they’re things that are irreplaceable. Irreplaceable memories, memories that I’ll never forget even once I die.