Chapter 9: The River

Home

The next morning, Taemin woke up with his things in his arms and Minho lying next to him. The night before, they had all decided to squish together and hold their bags to make sure none of their stuff got stolen. Kibum and Jonghyun were excited about this, but the other boys reluctantly agreed. The sky was still slightly dark, appearing to be just after dawn. Taemin sighed quietly, the tiredness seeping into his bones. Suddenly, Minho opened his eyes to peer at Taemin.

"Hi Taeminie," he whispered so the other boys wouldn't wake up.
"Hey," Taemin whispered back, grinning at Minho.

"Come on, let's go get breakfast for the other boys," Minho said quietly. He stood up and groaned, muscles aching from the extreme amount of walking and uncomfortable bedding. Taemin sat up too, opening the food bag while Minho gathered more sprouts. The sun rose higher and higher in the sky, so by the time the other three boys woke up it was already pretty sunny.

"Mmm," Jinki moaned as he sat up. Taemin handed him a bit of chicken and some sprouts.

"Chicken, my favorite," Jinki said, smiling.

"Chicken is basically all we have to eat, you'll get sick of it pretty soon," Kibum said as he woke up, petting Jonghyun's hair. Jonghyun was still fast asleep, his dark brown hair falling in front of his eyes. Kibum tucked it behind his ear and smiled.

"I'll never get sick of chicken," Jinki declared, stuffing it into his mouth. Taemin and Minho giggled and Kibum rolled his eyes. Suddenly, Jonghyun yawned and sat up.

"Hey sleepy head," Kibum said softly.

"Hey Kibum," Jonghyun replied as Taemin handed him some chicken and sprouts.

"We should probably get going soon," Kibum said once Jonghyun finished his food. They all nodded and stood up, Jonghyun grabbing his own and Kibum's bags.

~~~~~~~~~~

As the sun rose higher into the sky, the five stopped to rest.

"What's that over there?" Jonghyun said, pointing forward.

"It's a river," Taemin said casually.

"," Kibum muttered.

"How big is it?" Jonghyun asked nervously.

"I'll go check," Minho spoke, running over to the river. After a few minutes, he returned.

"It's pretty wide and deep, we won't be able to go around it or walk through it," Minho said.

"What the hell are we going to do?" Kibum said with worry.

"Did the king put anything in here that would be useful?" Jinki asked. The boys looked around in their bags, sifting through all the stuff in there. Suddenly, Minho pulled a bag of balloons out of his backpack from home.

"What are those?" Kibum asked.

"Balloons. We can fill them with air and make a boat," Minho explained. Kibum and Jonghyun gave the balloons a weird look as the five boys each pulled out a brightly colored balloon.

A few hours later, the boys had constructed some sort of a boat out of the balloons.

"Those things taste nasty," Kibum said.

"Why do they even exist?" Jonghyun asked.

"I don't know, I guess they make pretty decorations," Taemin answered. Minho placed the makeshift boat in the water, and he climbed on. Everyone soon followed, except for Jonghyun and Kibum.

"Are you sure it's safe?" Jonghyun said nervously.

"Would you rather swim?" Jinki replied. Jonghyun and Kibum got on the boat. It surprisingly supported all their weight and the wait of their bags. Jinki, Minho, and Taemin paddled with their hands, moving the boat in the mostly still water. Jonghyun and Kibum huddled in the center of their balloon raft, huddling together for dear life. Finally, they reached land, and Kibum and Jonghyun practically jumped off of the boat.

"I hate water," Jonghyun complained.

"Let's hope we never have to do anything like that again," Kibum said, feeling relieved.

"Now let's pop these balloons!" Taemin said, and the five boys jumped on their raft, smiling with happiness and relief.

~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Hey!!!! This is my second fic and my first shinee one! it's sorta ending up similar to that summer when... (my other fanfic) but whatevs. Please, upvote, comment, and subscribe! please read this thing!!!