Chapter 5: The Quest Begins

Home

"Let's go talk to him then," Kibum said, standing up. The four other boys stood up as well, moving toward the door. They walked out of the dusty building, the warm sunlight hitting their faces. They walked down the street, the cheerful people of Gatet Dote waving and smiling at them. Taemin couldn't help but smile back. After a few minutes, the boys reached the end of the street. There was a large building in front of them, with lots of windows and flags. "It looks like the front of the town," Taemin thought. Kibum walked up the long, tall steps leading toward the large door. He knocked three times, and a guard opened the door.

"Hey Kibum, I haven't seen you in forever! What's going on?" the guard said excitedly, pulling Kibum in for a tight hug. As Kibum hugged the guard back, Jonghyun's face fell.

"I'm great, Amber. I didn't know you worked here," Kibum spoke.

"Of course you wouldn't know, you were holed up in the book hall for months!" the guard apparently named Amber said. Suddenly, Jonghyun ran up the stairs and tapped Kibum on the shoulder.

"We don't have time for this, we have to talk to the king," Jonghyun said in a hushed voice. Kibum nodded, and turned back to Amber.

"We have to speak with the king," Kibum said. 

"Okay, I'll tell him you're here," she said, walking back into the building. "Wait, what business should I tell him you're here on?" Amber asked, turning back toward Kibum.

"Cadellian business," Kibum spoke, and Amber's eyes widened knowingly. She went into the castle and disappeared. Jonghyun wrapped his arms around Kibum protectively, and Kibum rolled his eyes.

"Why do you get so jealous," he whined, leaning into Jonghyun's touch.

"Because you're so handsome, people can't help but stare. You're mine, and people should respect that," Jonghyun spoke. Kibum rolled his eyes again, but still smiled. Minho, Taemin, and Jinki looked at each other. After a few minutes, Amber returned.

"The king will see you know," she said sternly, and the boys walked into the castle. They were led into a long hallway. It had white marble floors and large windows on either side. There were pink columns towards the sides of the room with carved marble designs at the top. At the end of the hall was a large black marble throne with a man seated in it. The man had large, thick red velvet robes on and a big golden throne on the top of his head. The five boys walked to the end of the hall, Minho, Taemin, and Jinki gazing at the luxurious room in awe. When they reached the man in the robes, Kibum and Jonghyun bowed deeply. Taemin, Minho, and Jinki quickly followed suit.

"Your highness," Kibum said softly.

"You may stand," the king spoke in a commanding tone, and the five boys quickly stood up.

"What brings you here? the asked.

"We have found the saviour the legend talks about. We would like to go to Cadell Dote and fulfil the prophecy," Kibum said nervously. The king shifted in his chair, curious about the five boy's quest.

"I will provide food and other necessities. But why are there five of you?" the king asked. Jonghyun blushed.

"It took a few tries to find the boy the prophecy spoke of," Jonghyun said, smiling awkwardly. The king chuckled lowly.

"It's alright," he said to Jonghyun casually. Jonghyun's expression relaxed.

"Amber!" the king yelled loudly.

"Yes, your highness," she responded, standing next to his throne.

"Bring these boys enough food, water, money, and clothing to last long enough for a trip to Cadell Dote," he said. Amber nodded, bowed, and left the room.

"It's a very dangerous trip," the king said, turning back toward the five boys. "Therefore, I am ordering the five of you to make the journey together," he spoke. Minho looked relieved, but the other four boys looked stricken.

"But sir-" Kibum exclaimed.

"No buts," the king said firmly. At that moment, Amber and a few other servants returned with their things. They were handed the large bags.

"You are all set. You may begin your journey now," the king spoke. The five boys nodded.

"You are all dismissed," the king spoke, and they quickly turned around and left the building.

"Good luck!" the king shouted back to them. The five boys smiled and walked out of the door.

"Holy this is scary," Jinki said. Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Well, we should probably get going before it gets dark," Minho spoke.

"Wait, can I shower first?" Kibum said. Jonghyun rolled his eyes, and Kibum muttered a quick "thank you" before running off toward his house.