Chapter 8: On Their Own

Home

"Wake up Taemin, you have to eat breakfast," Minho softly spoke, gently shaking Taemin. He opened his eyes and looked at Minho curiously.

"Is it really time?" Taemin said, sitting up and looking at the bright sun.

"Yeah," Minho replied, standing up and bringing Taemin a bowl of dragon meat and crackers.

"I wish we could bring the dragon with us; dragon scales would be a great gift for the king," Jonghyun said.

"Why would you want to give them to the king? Couldn't you just sell them?" Jinki responded.

"What's sell? I don't know what would happen if we sell them, but if we give them to the king, he'll hire workers to create new buildings and fortify the walls with the scales," Kibum said.

"Wait, your government actually helps your people?" Taemin asked.

"Yeah, isn't that what government is supposed to do?" Kibum answered. Taemin, Minho, and Jinki stared incredulously at the other two boys.

"Guys, let's go so we can make some headway," Jonghyun said. Everyone stood up and began to walk toward Cadell Dote.

"Full humans are so weird," Jonghyun muttered to Kibum. Kibum nodded in agreement and walked on.

~~~~~~~~~~

After a few hours, the boys sat down for lunch. Jonghyun reached his hand into the bag, searching for the crackers.

"Wait, where is the food?" Jonghyun spoke. The other boys sifted through their things. When they came up with nothing, they became worried.

"What the hell are we going to do now?" Kibum said.

"Holy ," Jinki muttered.

"Well, I was a boy scout when I was younger so I know how to gather, and Taemin seems to be good at hunting so I think we're okay," Minho said. Everyone was a little bit relieved.

"We still have the water here," Jonghyun spoke hopefully.

"I think we're going to be okay," Kibum said, and everyone smiled.

"But wait, guys, where did all the food go?" Jinki asked. They all tensed up, realising that they might be in danger.

"Did you leave the food at this morning's camp site?" Kibum asked Jonghyun.

"No way, I clearly remember putting the food back in the bag. Anyways, I only took out some of it and it's all gone," Jonghyun exclaimed.

"It must have been stolen, especially if the bag is still there," Taemin said.

"," Jonghyun muttered.

"What?" Minho, Taemin, and Jinki said.

"The Ratas," Kibum said gravely.

"Who are they?" Minho asked.

"They're bandits; part rat, part human. They're quite smart and sneaky, but they have these stupidly long tails. If you step on it they'll scurry away," Jonghyun explained.

"I didn't know they traveled without roads," Kibum said.

"Well, I guess we'd better keep our eyes peeled," Jinki spoke. Everyone nodded.

"Taemin, let's go get food," Minho said, standing up. Taemin quickly followed, Jonghyun handing him the sword and an empty bag.

The two boys walked around the grassy field, looking around for something to eat. Suddenly, Taemin stilled, holding his finger over his lips. He started stabbing the grass repeatedly, and after a few minutes he stopped. He bent down and picked up a dead, bloody chicken. Minho gagged.

"Ew, put that down," Minho said. Taemin put the chicken in the bag.

After a few minutes, Minho found some edible sprouts growing in the ground, and he put them into the bag. Taemin killed another chicken, and the two boys went back to camp.

"I really like it here," Minho said softly as Taemin and him walked back to the other boys boys.

"Me too, it's just so nice and calm," Taemin replied.

"I almost don't want to go back," Minho admitted. Taemin sighed in agreement, and they walked the rest of the way in silence.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey look, I see a lake over there," Jonghyun said, pointing to a patch of water off in the distance.

"I'll go refill the water," Kibum spoke, standing up.

"I'm coming with," Jonghyun said and ran after Kibum.

"Watch the stuff!" Kibum shouted back to Jinki. He nodded and held the bags closer to him.

Jonghyun and Kibum ran off toward the water. Once they refilled the bottles, Kibum tried to stand up, but Jonghyun stopped him.

"Wait," Jonghyun said, grabbing Kibum's arm.

"What?" Kibum asked, sitting back down. Suddenly, Jonghyun pushed his back onto the wet grass and climbed on top of him. Kibum wrapped his arms around Jonghyun's waist, smiling up at him. Jonghyun grinned as he kissed Kibum deeply. Their lips touched for long time, the two boys missing the feeling of each other's kisses.

"Get back here you two, I stabbed a ing chicken for you guys!" Taemin shouted. Kibum and Jonghyun quickly pulled away, giggling and  running back to camp.