Chapter Nine

The New Manager

-


 

 

Luhan had red cheeks when he Yifan and Jongin were sitting in front of him. He bit his lips, eyes looking down as he didn't know what to do, neither men had said any word.

"C-can you please say something...?" Suho's friend said with small voice.

"We are waiting for you to explain to us how can Kris hyung become the love or your life." said Jongin with serious tone.

"Jongin... Don't be harsh like that, can't you see he's scared of you?" Yifan scolded the younger who gave him eye rolls.

"Fine! Dear Luhan, can you please tell us your story of how you meet Kris hyung when he was a child?" Jongin gave a forced smile that made Luhan shrank.

"Luhan, please. Ignore him. Talk to me." Yifan gave his gentle smile to Luhan whose expression immediately relax. Jongin grunted beside him, leaning into his seat with folded arms.

"It's just a guess...I saw you that day when you came to our house. I asked my mother who are you and she told me about your story. She said you're Chinese and lived in Beijing. I suddenly remember the boy from my childhood. I've been searching for him, what I know is that he moved to Korea. I even hired private investigator just to find him but to no avail...

I asked my mother where you're working and tried to get close, if maybe you're that boy. But Kai-ssi took it the wrong way... I'm not sure if you're that boy, just the possibility of you being that boy! I was so happy that time when you came to our place and hoped to know more of you. I asked Junmyeon about you and he said you're a nice guy. Kai-ssi was there when I talked with Junmyeon and he..."

Yifan watched the change of expression in the pretty man's face. He loved that little boy, it was shown on his eyes. He didn't know how a young kid could fall in love but Luhan did. He knew he will hurt Luhan but he didn't want to pretend to be someone just to make someone happy.

"Luhan. I'm really sorry, but I didn't live in Beijing. I went to Canada when I was a child and it's not possible that the boy was me. I really hope you can find the boy and..." Yifan paused seeing Luhan started to get teary, "I will help you if you need anything."

Luhan gulped, lips trembling as he parted his lips. "Are you sure? Maybe you forgot? I... I just don't know where to find him... He said he wanted to continue his father's business and for what I remember his father has a hotel in Korea. He promised me he will bring me to his father's hotel when we grow up..."

Jongin perked up at that, sitting straight suddenly with eyes opened wide. "Wait! What did you just said?"

Luhan turned to Jongin as a tear fell down his cheek. He sniffed once and asked Jongin what he meant.

"The hotel part! What exactly the boy said to you?"

"That he will bring me to Korea when we grow up?"

Jongin's mouth opened wide, his eyes scanning Luhan from head to toe before he suddenly burst in laugh.

Yifan frowned at Jongin, he put a hand on the younger's shoulder asking if he's okay.

"I'm not okay at all! This is hilarious! I can't believe it, maybe this is what they call destiny? God, Luhan, you're so lucky I heard you talked with Suho hyung because if I wasn't you're not going to find your lover boy!!"

"W-what do you mean?" sniffed Luhan.

"I know who's that little boy is!! No wonder you can't find him. His father has no hotel anymore, he changed his business and that boy decided not to continue his father's business." Jongin grinned. He shook his head as he put out his phone, searching for something on it while Yifan and Luhan waited in confusion.

Jongin found what he's looking for and showed Luhan a picture from his phone. "This is the boy you're talking about, right?"

Luhan leaned in to see the picture, his hands grabbed for the phone and took it from Jongin's hand. A small boy was smilling cutely as his eyes turned into pair of crescents and that's the exact same picture that Luhan printed on his mind. "Shixun..."

Jongin continue to laughed again, the manager worried about why Jongin was laughing himself as he hadn't explain to him what was going on.

"Jongin, I'm lost here."

Jongin chuckled as he turned to Yifan. "You remember Sehun?"

"Yeah?"

"His Chinese name is Shixun. He lived in Beijing for a while before as his mother's sister married a Chinese. He told me this story before and has a tiny wish to meet the pretty boy again..." He shifted his eyes to Luhan who was still staring at the picture.

Yifan nodded, connecting the story once again betwen Sehun and Luhan before chuckling himself. "What a coincidence that he's your friend."

"Nope. I don't believe in coincidence. I believe they're meant to be." the youngest of them gave his childish smile to the manager who smiled back.

"It's a good news that he found his love..." Yifan saw Luhan smiling to the phone, his expression showing fondness toward the picture as if he's seeing the person himself. "You should tell Sehun asap, Jongin-ah. Luhan had waited for years already and he should wait no more."

"I will call him after this. Don't worry."

"Great." Yifan patted Jongin's tight. "Now can you both please go so I can go to sleep?"


 





Yifan woke up late the next day, he felt tired and he thought the event last night might be the cause of it. He couldn't go to sleep even after he was under the warm blanket, light off with instrumental songs playing in the background. The couples around him started to dance on his mind, how all of people who were currently close to him were all have their own boyfriend already. He never really thought that having someone in your life is important. He had relationships before, yes, but he never really depended on his lovers. He focused on himself and his works only, not giving his lovers the attention they needed and that's the cause of why he broke up with most of them.

Being around people who were in love was hard for the manager. A thought came to him if maybe he's the weird one, if he should got someone for himself, if people will look at him weirdly when he had nobody which actually and usually he won't care. The conversation with his mother couple of days before rang in his head.


"It's okay, Yifan. Maybe now you don't need one but I know and I'm sure in no time you will crave that feeling of being love, taken care of and to have someone beside you whenever you need just a simple presence so you won't feel alone."



Yifan didn't need love, he could take care of himself and he's not lonely.




But then why he suddenly felt the bed was too big last night?






Yifan sighed as he came out from his room. His work didn't require him to always be on time as he usually work on his own office but his father taught him to be discipline as he had to be the example of his employees. He turned around and stopped seeing Suho was leaning on the wall. The smaller man smiled up to him and Yifan felt something stirred inside of him.

"Suho. What are you doing in here?"

The smaller took steps until he's only a meter away from the manager, "I want to eat lunch with you but I don't see you in your office."

"Ah yes, I woke up late." Yifan laughed. "You can just text me, though?"

Suho blinked his eyes once. "But I don't have your number?" he tilted his head.

"Oh. Why you don't ask Jongin?" Yifan took out his phone and asked for Suho's number. The smaller gave it to him and smiled widely when Yifan took a glance at him. "Are you always this all the time?"

"Hmm? What do you mean?"

"Full of spirit? Like you have this contagious happiness..." the manager said with a smile.

Suho grinned, eyes turning crescents that unconsciouly made Yifan's smile went wider. "Thank you for the compliment. I have to look like that all the time as I serve the guests. I once was so tired and a mother scolded me in a nice way that I shouldn't look like that."

Yifan hummed. "You do look better with a smile, Suho."

Suho beamed, nodding his head couple of times. "I will go back to work now, Kris-ssi. See you at lunch?"

"Yeah, see you later."

Suho waved his hand before he walked to the direction opposite of Yifan. The manager saw his back until Suho disappear from his sight. The smile was still plastered on his lips for more seconds before he dropped it.

"Weird...now I don't feel tired anymore..."






This time Jongin didn't join the manager and Suho on their lunch, he came by earlier to Yifan's office and said that he wanted to see the building Kyungsoo's working on. Yifan was currently eating with Suho, eyes staring at the scenery outside but couple of times stealing glances to the man in front of him.

"Do you have lot of works, Kris-ssi?"

As usual, Junmyeon finished first while Yifan was still eating his second plate. The manager looked up from his food and swallowed. "What?"

"You look tired. Now and this morning too. Did you work overnight or something?"

"Oh. No, I always finish my work early actually. And I worked overnight to finish my upcoming work so I can have more rest. This is...I think because something bothers me and I keep thinking about it." smiled the manager as he continued to eat.

"What is it?" asked Suho curiously.

Yifan got the feeling of uncomfortable to talk about the topic again. But it's not like it was a secret anymore, it seemed like the employees knew about it too as some of them said congrats to Yifan which he had no idea where they heard it from. He was in need of second opinion as all people around him weren't alone anymore which he was sure they will give the answer differently with others who were still single.

"Do you...ever feel lonely being alone?"

"Uh?"

Yifan took his last bite before putting down his spoon. He wiped his lips with the napkin, his lips and stared at Suho. "You see, Jongin has Kyungsoo. Jongin's friend, Baekhyun has Chanyeol. My best friend, Yixing was engaged already and preparing for his marriage. Luhan just the other day said I'm the love of his life but it turned out wrong, that Sehun or Jongin's friend was actually the man he's been looking for. I never really feel the need to be love by someone or to be taken care of. My father forced me to choose someone to marry as he wants a grandchild and I hate that idea a lot. The weird thing is, just recently the thought of having someone beside me seems like a good idea."

Suho watched as the manager's fingers move around the tip of his glass. Yifan imagined someone beside himself as he talked, a man who was smiling up to him and linked his arm on his and his the corner of his lips lifted.

"Will there be anyone who understand me and my love for works? It's always been the reason why my relationships never work out."

The small man exhaled, "I'm sure there will be someone. I believe God made us in pair and maybe you just haven't found him yet..."

Yifan smiled up to Suho, chuckling a little with small nods. "Maybe...but how about you, Suho? Do you had this urge to have someone?"

Suho hummed as he thought, "I do. But I'm not ready yet. I had a bad break up couple of years ago and never had a relationship after. My parents are worried and they tried to set up some blind dates and one of them worked. We went out for a while but then when he started to talk about marriage I backed up. I was scared at that time and somehow I kind of regret it. He's married now while I..." he chuckled. "He's just not for me."

Yifan could still see the hurt in Suho's eyes despite the smile he gave to Yifan.

"Are your parents still worried now?"

"They do. But I told them not to. I will bring someone in the end and they finally let me take my pace. I want to focus on work first and hoping along the way I will meet someone."

Yifan hummed. "But I'm curious, Suho. If it's you, will you understand someone like me for being a workaholic?" he was shock to see Suho laughed at his question seconds after.

"Of course I will! You might be busy and I can't meet you all the time, but I like seeing someone who's serious about their work. Like Jongin, even if he hates his job, he still works hard until father approve him and let him chase his dream back. It might be too late too him but he doesn't care and I love that. I'm sure when you found someone you love you won't love that work of yours again. Maybe still, but not as much as before as you will give your time more to your beloved one." Suho grinned. "It will be interesting to see the person who can turn you that way." he sighed in contentment.

Yifan inhaled, bitting his lips as he repeated Suho's words inside his mind. "I'm worried. I want to choose my own wife but what if the person you're talking about was one of those blind dates?"

"What's wrong with the blind dates? It doesn't matter which way, right? As long as you find him in the end...maybe you should try and meet all of those blind dates your father arranged for you."

"Right..."

Yifan felt relief inside after talking with Suho. The smile the smaller man gave was calming but at the same time it made him felt slightly nervous. What was it? It's the combination of when he saw Yixing's smile and his ex lover's smile which he never felt it before.

"Are you feeling better now?"

Yifan inhaled, "A lot better. Thank you, Suho. I actually don't want to discuss this with you but I'm glad I did."

Suho made a small pout with his lips, "Why not? Aren't we friends now, manager-nim?"

"Nope. I'm still your boss, Suho-ssi." Yifan grinned at the smaller man who chuckled.

"Yes, you are. And that's why I want to help you, not just boss who has to help his employees. We have to help you in any way we can in return."

"Nah, what I need from you guys are only one thing which is to do your jobs right. It helps a big time than this... Although yeah, I need this once in a while."

"You helped me last time, Kris-ssi. I feel like I should help you too, I can see from how deep your frown that you have something on your mind." explained Suho, his hand gesturing at his own forehead.

Yifan bit his lips trying to hold his laugh at how cute Suho who tried to copy his expression. "Thank you once again. How about you join me tomorrow with Jongin and his friends?" the manager said spontaneously, surprising both himself and Suho.

"Where to?"

Yifan gave a gummy smile which showed how excited he was, "To our private party."