Chapter Eleven

The New Manager

-


 

 

"Baekhyun. Tell me you find someone for me."

Calling Baekhyun was the first thing the manager did as soon as he reached his office. He slept but his mind was too active that he woke up couple of times and groaned every time it happened as he kept glancing at the watch only to know that he woke every hour. He rapped his knuckle to the table, foot tapping on the floor and waited for a reply on the other line.

Baekhyun yawned to the phone, mumbling something that made Yifan asked him to repeat.

"It's too early for me...I thought you're calling me about my wedding..."

"Dont worry about that. I got your list checked and we will begin the preparation next week. Now tell me you find someone...I'm desperate here." Yifan sighed, sliding his upper body above the table, winching at how uncomfortable it was before straightened his back again.

"Why, didn't you tell me you don't want to get married?" there was some shuffling on the line coming from Baekhyun.

"I did. But something happened and I need someone to go out with."

"What is it? You have to--ahhhh!!"

"Baekhyun?"

"Hold on, Yifan. Chan is--ngghhh!! Chanyeol, stop it!! I'm on the phone!"

"Hyung you better finish this asap, I'm having a condition here and I'm sure you know what I mean." Chanyeol took the phone from Baekhyun's hand. Yifan heard a slap and a whine before Baekhyun's voice came again.

"I'm sorry. I did find some friends but they back out when they know you're a workaholic."

"What? Why did you tell them that?"

"Yifan, I'm finding your possible future wife and someone who's your type, not just someone to to."

Yifan grimaced at Baekhyun's bluntness. "I'm sorry I just...I need a distraction from this person and I--"

"Who's this person?"

"Just someone--"

"Yifan."

"It's Suho..." Yifan shrank on his seat after he said the answer. He waited for Baekhyun to just like Jongin but the petite man instead asked what happened last night.

"Nothing! I just accidentally kissed him and--"

"You did what!?"

Yifan groaned, "Would you please let me finish?"

"Continue." Baekhyun giggled a little.

"He's into some kind of break down and I don't know what to do. He's crying and kept talking and the only thing that came to my mind was...that."

"And you felt something after you did it, huh?"

"I do...but he already drew the line that we are friend so I need to stop seeing him and that's why I called you."

"How did you know he's drawing the line?"

Yifan started to play with his own hair, running a hand through it and messing with his previous neat strands. "He said it that we are a friend and that means he doesn't have a feeling for me."

"What's his reaction about the kiss?"

"Uh, It's quite weird in my opinion. He told me openly about it, that he felt his mind became blank and--"

"He never felt it before?"

"Yeah...how do you know that?" Yifan frowned.

"Of course he knows that, hyung! He's--"

Another slap and whine which made Yifan wonder if Chanyeol decided to listen to his story too. "I'm just guessing!" said Baekhyun.

"That's what he said more or less. And then he asked me what I feel and I didn't tell him about it as I don't want to freak him out."

"Huh. You like it, don't you?"

Yifan parted his lips, wanting to say yes but embarrassed himself that he stayed silent.

"Yifan?"

"Yeah...?"

"Are you blushing right now?"

Yifan groaned hearing Baekhyun laughed. The manager slapped his own forehead, thinking that talking to Baekhyun was no different to Jongin. The tanned man was more into teasing but Baekhyun could guess his state from far away just by hearing his voice and that scared him a lot.

"Let's just focus on when I can meet that friend of yours. Any of them. Can you do it tomorrow?"

"Maybe...I will contact them first and tell you after." Baekhyun hummed.

"I just need one for now. Please?"

"I will try my best, Yifan. What will you do with Suho then?"

"Not seeing him. I made up an excuse so that he doesn't come to my office. My mind is kind of messed up every time I see him."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"No, it's not! He doesn't want any relationship now and--"

"Do you want to have a relationship with him?"

"I--ugh..." Yifan groaned, slapping his forehead again as Baekhyun's words strike like an arrow into his heart.

"Yifan, maybe it's better to ask him directly if you want something more from him? I mean, distraction doesn't always work, you know? Or are you planning to make him jealous?"

"Jealous? No, I'm not that kind of person...I seriously need to stay away from him. Maybe this is just temporary attraction as we often meet each other."

"But he's your type. It's natural for you to fall for him, Yifan."

Yifan inhaled and exhaled, wanting to hang up the phone that instant as talking with Baekhyun only made him waver. "Baekhyun. Give me one man tomorrow. I called you for that, not to tell you what I'm feeling towards Suho."

"You already did, though." Baekhyun laughed and there's a loud bass sound in the background which making Yifan blushed. Chanyeol did listen to him.

"Please, call me when you find someone, okay?"

"Fine, manager-nim. Good luck avoiding Suho today..." He said in teasing voice before hanging the call.

Yifan glared at his phone for a moment before he sighed. "If I can find someone for myself, I won't call you, Baekhyun..."






Yifan texted Jongin not to bother him at lunch, saying he will eat lunch at his office and ignored the younger's reply of why and the cute emoticon he sent. He called someone to bring him food as he won't go out of his office until late to avoid meeting Suho even if the chance were low.

At eleven a.m someone knocked on Yifan's door and the manager gave the permission for the person to come inside.

"Kris hyung?"

Yifan lifted his head to see Tao peeking his head, smiling and called him to come.

"Thank you. I'm already hungry, Tao-yah."

Tao showed his toothy smile which made him look even younger in Yifan's eyes. He walked to his desk and put down a plastic bag with food inside. "Special for the new manager."

Yifan chuckled, gesturing Tao to sit across of him.

Tao said that he had to go but Yifan insisted that it's lunch time and that he knew the younger won't have any work to do which made the tanned man obliged, sitting on the chair like a good kid.

"Have you eat?"

"I have, hyung."

"Then eat again. I can finish this much but I'm okay with sharing." Yifan cleaned up his desk a bit, before he prepared his lunch out of the plastic. Smell of food washed through the manager's nostril and his stomach rumble, a smile formed on his lips.

"I'll just eat after you finish, hyung."

"Tao..." the manager gave a stern look to the younger who immediately duck his head with a nod. It was funny how Tao appeared to be strong and dependable yet when he talked with his soft voice and smiled he gave a different image. Yifan liked it a lot having someone like Tao. He wasn't that close with the kid and at the moment like this he preferred Tao over Jongin who will definitely ask what's wrong with him and forced him to tell his trouble.

Tao eat shyly, using the spoon so slowly that it pained Yifan a little if it's caused by him. "Tao?"

"Yeah, hyung?"

"How's work?"

"Oh! Great! I like what I do now. It's a lot of work compared to before but it's fun. Seeing the bride and groom are something that I want to keep looking at, their glowing faces and the happiness they emitted. I can tell many story for Jongdae at home and he's always excited, waiting for me after work in the living room."

"Jongdae?"

A color of pink that spread on the tanned male was quite noticeable from their distance and it was cute that Yifan chuckled. 

"My boyfriend..." whispered Tao.

"So you have a boyfriend, huh..." Yifan let out long sigh, drinking his water and continue to eat as Tao stared at him.

"Uhm, is something wrong? You usually eat with Kai, hyung. Are you having a fight with him?"

"Not a fight. I just don't want to eat with him because he's kind of noisy."

"Oh..." Tao immediately shut his mouth, eyes staring into the food and ate silently.

Yifan tilted his head, not liking how Tao every words that came out from his mouth making the tanned man uncomfortable. "You're the type to listen and do anything your boss wants, huh? Even the dirty jobs?"

"Eh?"

"Don't be afraid of me. It's okay if you have something in your mind that you want to tell me, Tao."

"I don't--"

Tao paused when Yifan raised his hand and it amazed the manager of how quick his reaction was. "You're trained, weren't you?"

"I...yeah...I had a strict boss. It was only for half a year but...it became my habit to follow any order and not said any word except if he wants me to."

Yifan hummed. He knew many employers who had that kind of boss but to have someone like Tao who had his reflex like a slave to a master was a first. "You should learn to relax. It doesn't feel good to be always on guard you know?"

Tao nodded, smiling in thanks to the manager. "I'm trying, hyung. All the employees here are nice and it's comfortable. You like it here too, don't you, hyung?"

Yifan frowned at the thought as what came to him was how he wanted to go on vacation as soon as he finished this job, maybe going back to Canada or went to Europe to had fun alone, or maybe if he's married later, with his wife...

"Hyung?"

"Yeah...it's comfortable. But I still don't like to stay on one place."

"Why? There hasn't any place that make you want to stay?"

"No, haven't found one. I always feel bored in one place, maybe I..." Yifan trailed off, realizing that he's going to say what's on his mind to one of his employee and that's dangerous.

Tao could see the hesitant in the manager's face so he smiled, "It's okay, you don't have to tell me."

Yifan bit his lips, nodding his head as he continue to eat, his brain produced an image of crescent eyes, white milky skin with a warm smile that he sighed out loud unconsciously. "Why hasn't Baekhyun call me yet..." He murmured himself.

Tao finished as he cleaned up the bowled and stared to the manager, itching to go back as he glanced up to the watch. He wanted to asked but afraid, seeing as the manager was staring into spaces. "Hyung?"

"Hmm..."

"Can I go back to my work?"

Yifan shifted his eyes to the younger who showed a forced and an awkward smile. "Yeah but...can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"Have you... Avoid someone you like?"

Tao's expression turned from one of confusion, to realization, before ending to a small genuine smile. "I did. Everyone did at some point I believe."

"What happened after?"

Tao pursed his lips, "Nothing? It doesn't do much, more like you're running from a problem and you know it's still in the back of your mind until you find a solution while at the same time stressing you. But that's my thought, it can be different with other people." he nodded to himself, the manager followed the movement.

"I don't want to run from it but I don't want to do anything with it either, I like what we have now...just the urge inside me is killing me. There's a voice inside my mind, distracting me from concentrating to what we are talking about. Something similar when you have a liking to a clothes and while looking at other one you keep thinking of that particular one you already like?" Yifan admit it sounded stupid, his metaphor, but it's the easiest way to compare his feeling towards Suho. The tanned man chuckled but Yifan was more interest in what he's going to say instead of feeling embarrass.

"Jongdae will be mad if I compare him to a clothes. It's easier to confess for me. I tend to keep my feeling inside but that one time after I tell my feeling to him, it was like a big burden lifted from my shoulder. It's scary waiting for the answer, but it felt really good. It became greater when he accepted me..." the younger scratched his head in embarrassment and Yifan felt like pinching his cheeks.

"I never chase someone before and this is the first time it bothers me this much." the manager blurted. At this point he didn't care anymore, whether it's Tao or Jongin, whoever was with him will make him wanted to talk but Suho. That's all he's been feeling lately and he was scared he might slipped out in front of the person himself.

"You will suffer in any choice you took, hyung. It hurts when you can only see him but don't own him and if you ended up confessing and he rejected, it will hurt you too. That's why I choose to say what I feel, there's a possibility that he's actually liking me back even if it's low. If not, then it can be my reminder that I should stop loving him."

Yifan bit his lips, he stared down to his leftover food before groaning. He even lost appetite for God's sake. Those things they said about love were right, he once promised himself not to be like those kind of person but maybe love did things that make people--

"Hold on. This is love? Not a crush, simple attraction or something similar?" Yifan thought his feeling leaning more into love but he's still not sure. None of his past lovers made him like this, the thought of them never came when he's working but Suho, a flash of his smile came too often lately that it frustrated him.

"Uh...I...love is such a strong word but...you can call it liking someone? From what I see the feeling are stronger if it makes you like this, hyung..." Tao's voice became smaller that Yifan had to leaned in to hear clearly.

"You're making me more confuse, Tao..."

"I'm sorry, hyung. I thought you want to hear my opinion, sorry if it's not what you want to hear..."

Yifan reached out to patted Tao's head, the younger looking up with his cat eye like, "No. It's okay. I need that, something that I don't want to hear. Thank you, Tao. I just need to figure this out myself so that it doesn't distract me from work."

Tao gave his awkward smile that the manager pinched his cheek, the younger whining and gave a look that asked why he did that.

"Stop being cute. I might abuse your cheeks because of it."






It was only one more hour left before the day change and Yifan thought he's succeed in avoiding Suho. He just locked his office and turned around only to startled seeing Suho leaning on the wall, tilting his head with a smile towards him. All he could focus on was how he wanted to hold the smaller man, his eyes catching the pair of pink lips as his eyes trailed down. The smaller was still wearing his suit, looking tired but still as handsome as ever.

"Kris-ssi?"

"What are you doing here?" Yifan didn't mean it, but his voice sounded cold and the change of expression on Suho's face made him gulped in guilty. He still couldn't believe it that the younger was in front of him. Did he waited for him?

"I...I want to see you. Since you said you're busy and don't want me to disturb you, I waited until you finish..." Suho tried to smile but his eyes glinted with something that Yifan read as scared.

"I'm sorry. I'm kind of tired. We can talk tomorrow." Yifan smiled a little, turning his body around but a hand stopped him.

"Kris-ssi, are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Yifan glanced at Suho with a smile. He peeled the smaller hand with his other hand, "You should head back. It's late already."

Suho stared up with a frown, a light shake of his head made Yifan hesitate to leave him. "No. I want to talk to you."

"Suho, I'm seriously tired. Let's talk tomorrow, okay?" Yifan sighed, asking in a more gentle voice than before as he was this close to grab the younger and pulled him to his embrace that he put his hands inside his pockets.

"Why not now? It's only for a few minutes...Your employee needs your help, manager-nim."

Yifan groaned inside at the way Suho called him. It was endearing before but it only reminded him now that the smaller man only saw him as a boss, not a man, not even possible as more than a friend. "Fine. What is it?"

Suho shook his head. "I don't want to talk in here. Let's go to your room." his voice was gentle, but it had some authority on it that Yifan nodded, following the smaller who walked first to the elevator.






Yifan took of his jacket, throwing it to the nearest table before he walked to the kitchen to take drinks for him and Suho.

Suho was waiting on his couch, no smile on his face and Yifan chanted inside himself not to worry about the younger. The manager chose to stood up after he put down a bottle of water on the coffee table, "What is it?"

"Why are you mad at me?"

"Excuse me?"

"You're mad at me. The moment you saw me in front of your office you looked like you wanted to run away. What did I do? I'm sorry if I made a mistake, but please tell me why. I hate it eating lunch with Jongin... He kept asking me what I did, if I'm the cause of why you hide in your office."

Yifan felt annoyed, wanting to smack Jongin's head for saying that he hides from Suho. It was actually true that it's because of the smaller male, but it wasn't his fault entirely, it was Yifan's. "You don't do any mistake, I told you to stop saying sorry, Suho. Just ignore Jongin, he's--"

"I can't! I really thought that you're busy that you can't come! But I found out that you called Tao and asked him to bring lunch to your office and I..." it was the first time Suho cutted him, raising his tone in anger and he looked upset.

"Suho..."

"What did I do? Are you tired of me already? Was it because I cried too much? Was it because I'm weak? Do you hate me for who I am? You said you will support me..."

Yifan was beside of Suho in seconds as soon as he saw the younger's eyes glistening with tears. "Hey, now. Stop, stop thinking, Suho."

Suho gulped, bitting his lips with brows knitted. His chest was raising up and down, shaking his head like a sulky kid not getting what he wanted. "Tell me, why did you call Tao here? You can call me or Jongin to bring you food, why Tao?"

"He's the last option, okay? I don't want to make you do it and Jongin will ask why I don't eat lunch outside of my office. He's the safest choice."

"No...it doesn't explain why you don't want to eat with me..." a tear fell from Suho's eyes and Yifan was quick to wiped it, cupping both hands on the smaller face.

"No, don't cry...Suho..."

"You make me worry...I thought you hate it, having lunch with me..." the smaller sniffed.

"No. Of course not. I enjoy having lunch with you and Jongin. I just want to finish my work early, I'm serious. I'm not lying, I want to have more rest this month, Suho."

Yifan smiled gently, rubbing his thumb on the smooth skin.

"Can I bring you your lunch tomorrow?"

"I..."

"You don't want too?" another tear was threating to fall that Yifan went panic.

"Please don't, I just--"

"Kris-ssi..."

"Okay, okay. You can. You can eat lunch with me at my office." Yifan wiped the fallen tear and Suho instantly showed his smile. Yifan raised his eyebrows seeing how the smaller man changed so fast. It reminded him of one of his ex. There's a time when his ex did exactly the same like Suho. That was a time when Yifan went out with colleague which was a girl and he forgot to tell him beforehand that his ex got jealous in the end and--



Jealous?



The manager stared at Suho who kept smiling to him. Was it true? It's impossible for Suho to feel jealous towards Tao because--Yifan blinked his eyes when he felt something warm touched his lips. He saw Suho's face up close, his shining eyes, the way his eyelashes pressed on his cheeks when he blinked and when his tongue darted out of his mouth to on his pink lips... 

"I will make you special bento tomorrow. Any request?" Suho whispered on his lips before he leaned back from the manager.

"Uh..."

Suho had both of his hands holding Yifan's hands which was previously on his face. He glanced down to see their hands together before looking up with a grin. "You have big and warm hands, Kris-ssi."

Yifan was still lost of word. Did Suho just kissed him? He parted his lips, wanting to say something but nothing came out from his mouth.

Suho tilted his head, wondering why the manager hadn't say a word. "Kris-ssi?"

Yifan inhaled deeply, clearing his throat before he replied with a small yeah.

"What do you want for lunch?"

"I...anything is fine, I guess?"

Suho hummed, nodding his head. "Okay then. I'll just make my favorite food. I'll go back now. Go to rest now, hmm?"

"Okay..."

Suho squeezed their hands before he let go. He stood up and Yifan followed the younger with his eyes.

"Good night, Kris-ssi." he said, giving a last smile before closing the door of Yifan's room.

The manager was still sitting on his spot even after minutes. His brain couldn't registered what just happened. His hand raised up as his fingers touched his lips. There's no mistake, the plump lips that touch his own, the coiling on his stomach that he felt, it felt the same as the last time he kissed Suho.

"Why did he kiss me...?"